Author Topic: Audi Sport Quattro VEMS install  (Read 42092 times)

Offline Jeffer

• BHP: 2
    • High Octane Racing
Re: Audi Sport Quattro VEMS install
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 07:51:34 pm »
i've encountered a problem with one of the ignition drivers i think.
When i tested the coils i got no sprak on cilinder no 4 at pin 36. then i patched it to pin 12, still no spark. Then i went to 24 with succes. There was a spark. What could cause this? a failed driver?

Offline AVP

• BHP: 11
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 05:23:40 am »
the stock ISV on audis in the S2/RS2 era is a bulky electromechanical device. It seems to work well for many years with the stock ECU and i dont see any reason why it shouldnt be able to be controlled with vems. It took me quite a while to get used to controlling it with 1.1.27 version but i have managed it so far to have a nice idle, nice idle EGTs and use the ISV in combination with the ignition based timing.

I havent tried using any of the new firmwares but people who have are saying that it is much easier to control now.I have no experience in that. On 1.1.27 though, i realised that any difference in placement or orientation of the valve means that you will have to alter the settings again.

PID control also will need tampering.
When A/C kicks in, i get a minor drop in revs (as i had with motronic) but PID keeps it ok and does not stall.

i do use the diode for all this.

Offline Jeffer

• High Octane Racing
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 05:35:41 am »
thats good to know, i'll get myself a diode and get on playing with iot. Another option is to use a different isv. I'm not limited to the oem audi one. Are there preffered isv's the VEMS community uses?

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 11:28:08 am »
I have heard that some SAABs are equipped with a 2-pin ISV that works mechanically with the Audi intake plumbing, so it's a drop-in replacement. A local guy did that and he runs VEMS PnP that I've tuned. It was no different than the stock ISV, except it worked.. ;)

For other installations I prefer the 3-pin versions which have dual solenoids, I imagine they are faster and more efficient. Very common on BMW from the 80s and 90s.

Offline Jeffer

• High Octane Racing
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 12:37:02 pm »
I found out that i have 6 ignition drivers in my vems. Thats why pin 12 and 36 are not working  :)
I'll start searching for a 3 pin isv valve from a beamer. Wil have to modify the connector but its probably worth it!

thnaks

Offline Jamo

• BHP: 6
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 06:18:55 am »
I found out that i have 6 ignition drivers in my vems. Thats why pin 12 and 36 are not working  :)
I'll start searching for a 3 pin isv valve from a beamer. Wil have to modify the connector but its probably worth it!

thnaks

I've got perfect idle with stock Audi ISV on 1.1.74 and I dont use any ignition idle settings.

My supplier did a lot of work scoping out the Audi valve on 1.1.70 and provided great base settings for the valve

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 06:56:05 am »
Who was the supplier? 

Offline Jeffer

• High Octane Racing
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 07:00:49 am »
and do you care to share the settings jamo?  ;D

Offline Jeffer

• High Octane Racing
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2010, 07:46:54 am »
It seems that I cannot get my hed around some settings. Appreciate some help from you lot on this. I'm running FW 1.1.75
First thing is when performing a trigger log. I get a nice .csv overview from the primary trigger. This all seems to work well, it counts 58 teeth and the missing 2. However, it does not log the secondary trigger. It doesnt show up in the graph. Do I need to activate a checkbox somewhere to make it visible? I've enabled camsync.
Here is my log:
http://www.highoctane.nl/webalbum/SQ/v3.3_n000615-2010-07-10.13.59.00.csv
This is the link to my last config:
http://www.highoctane.nl/webalbum/SQ/v3.3_n000615-2010.07.11-12.01.51.txt

Then my other mystery is the ignition output table. The boxes are prefilled with 255. What do i need to assign here? is this degrees of firing order? This doenst add up because the number will be far greater then 255. I cannot find out what it is. Is this the [h2] table?

Another issue is the injector table. Isn't there a dialog where i need to assign sequential injection order? Is that straight in the config?

Then my last for now. I've used pin EC36 pin18 for my IAT. In the outputs cchannel chart i cannot select pin 18. Phatbobs guide showed that pin 18 is open for IAT. 

Again thanks for the help!  :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 07:53:00 am by Jeffer »

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2010, 08:45:57 am »
What relates to ISV: Audi ones sometimes have mechanical problems. Jamming. Cleaning sometimes helps sometimes not.
BMW ones suffers from electrical problems - sometimes it generates hard RFI.
If Audi ISV is in good order there is no problems to get good idling on VEMS.

For those who opens ECU - I always use diode for ISV already soldered on board: every inj channel have two diodes in series. Just connect middle point of both diodes to 12V flyback pin makes exactly desired effect.

Gints

Offline Jeffer

• High Octane Racing
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2010, 09:33:08 am »
I've upgraded to the last firmware 1.1.78 and the last vemstune, and now i see both triggers in the log. so succes here.

Offline Jeffer

• High Octane Racing
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2010, 12:46:13 pm »
Any clarification on that reference tooth table would be highly appreciated.....  ???

Offline GintsK

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2010, 01:54:59 pm »
Ign output table and reference tooth table reads from bottom.

From bottom 5cyl 60-2 with camsync could be 0-24-48-72-96
0 is the point where your primary trigger is configured.

Ign output table is related to this table. Also filled from bottom. Where in tooth table stands 0, first cylinder after the trigger should be chosen. Then rest in firing order (again from bottom).

Same for inj outputs - reads from bottom in firing order.

Offline Jeffer

• High Octane Racing
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2010, 04:19:07 pm »

Ok, still not getting it... :)

Firing order of a 5cylinder is: 12453

so... the cylinders are on these tooth:

1 -> 0
2 -> 24
3 -> 48
4 -> 72
5 -> 96

So, we start with 0, and fill up from the bottom:

This results in some random firing on the plugs, and after a couple of firings, it keeps firing cylinder 1.

There are so many theories to fill up the table, i've also tried:

Which results in a running firing light (1,2,3,4,5)

Also:

Does not work

The strobe light however,  always returns a light on TDC reference (flywheel mark)

Offline GintsK

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2010, 04:40:17 pm »
ref tooth table should look like: