Author Topic: VW Splitscreen Camper 2270 Type 4 VEMS  (Read 52445 times)

Offline paul_f

• BHP: 8
VW Splitscreen Camper 2270 Type 4 VEMS
« on: October 30, 2008, 11:56:01 pm »
Engine and vehicle configuration

2270 aircooled 4 cylinder engine with long duration cam
42mm Jenvey throttle bodies

263cc/min injectors from Golf G60 0280 150 905
BMW Mini coil pack

EGT sensor
Wideband
IAT

Will run AlphaN due to ITBs with MAP as Baro
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:09:11 am by paul_f »

Offline paul_f

Re: VW Splitscreen Camper 2270 Type 4 VEMS
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 12:01:57 am »
2 years ago I damaged the flywheel of my 2.1 type 4 engine so I decided to strip it down, rebuild it and fit fuel injection.

18 months ago I bought a house, so most of the work on the VW stopped, although new heads, pistons, rods and crank were purchased to go from 2056cc to 2270.  The rest of the new parts arrived today so I want to get the bottom end balanced and the engine built over the coming weeks.

Bus at Spa 2006

Laser cut 36 tooth timing wheel designed by Japeto

Test fitted timing wheel

Case machined on CNC mill at work to allow fitment of sensor to bosses that tinwear mount to (originally engine was flat type, and fan housing bolted to these)

78mm Welded stroker crank with VW Type 1 journals

H beam rods

96mm keith black pistons

HAM/Type 4store 190cfm heads with relocated spark plugs
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:03:09 am by paul_f »

Offline paul_f

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 12:12:04 am »

Originally the plan was to use Alfa Romeo 1.7 boxer 16v throttle bodies
However these are shaped at the bottom for the oval ports of the 16v Alfa head.  They are also much more widely spaced than the type 4 head.

Instead 40mm Alfa romeo Spica throttle bodies will be used with the original Porsche 914 intake manifolds (these will need to be redrilled to match the 4 stud intake mount on the new head).  The original manifolds will be cut horizontally, and a CNC cut flange will be welded to mount the throttle bodies to.  The throttle bodies will need a Throttle pot added, but this shouldn't cause too many problems.
The throttle bodies have a 40mm butterfly, and are 40mm for 75% of the length bore, but are tapered to 36mm.   Apparently this was because of the mechanical injection system - I will have these machined to 40mm for the whole length of the bore.
Apparently it is possible to open them up to 42mm, but you have to manufacture butterflies.  For what I want the engine to do, I believe 40mm will be sufficient

Missing tooth removed from trigger wheel

Crank pulley attached to trigger wheel and hub

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 09:10:50 am »
Nice fabrication skills there sir.

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 08:14:07 pm »
You just have to love the old 3 bearing design cranks ;D

You know you want to go coil on plug as well ;) Nothing like bringing old carbie engines into the 21st century :D

I love thos split screen VWs and this one looks in mint, unlike most with a brushed on celulose paint finish :-\

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 09:37:09 pm »
The Subaru coil pack just works like a treat - its designed for a flat four.

Or the MSD Blaster coil:
http://www.msdignition.com/product.aspx?id=5069

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 10:11:51 pm »

You know you want to go coil on plug as well ;)

Or the MSD Blaster coil:

My Bad. Im just not exposed to anything other than the A series  :-[

Offline paul_f

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 10:16:25 pm »
You just have to love the old 3 bearing design cranks ;D

You know you want to go coil on plug as well ;) Nothing like bringing old carbie engines into the 21st century :D

I love thos split screen VWs and this one looks in mint, unlike most with a brushed on celulose paint finish :-\

Its not perfect, but it looks nice to the untrained eye.

Not only is the crank 3 bearing one, it is also welded to make it into a stroker.  But there are lots of them used in the states that have done 80k miles without a problem.

Offline paul_f

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 10:21:14 pm »
Nice fabrication skills there sir.

Not mine unfortunately, my friend Japeto designed the trigger wheel and had it manufactured.
The machine work I just have to buy a drink for one of the guys in the machine shop at work!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:26:00 pm by paul_f »

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 10:37:35 pm »
My Bad. Im just not exposed to anything other than the A series  :-[

I'm a closet air cooled lover, admittedly I have un-natural feelings for the A-Series too though...  :o

Offline paul_f

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 10:38:46 pm »
Today I built up the bottom end and dropped it off for balancing.  Pity I didn't drop it off yesterday as I could have had it back on Weds, so instead it will be ready a week Weds.

First fitment of the forged flywheel with the BAS ream to fit bolts.  The bolts are a tight slip fit, and I was a little concerned that the flywheel might not exactly match the crank.  A couple of the bolts were a little tight, but once the flywheel had seated fully on the other three bolts those also went in.

Gears installed along with pulley/trigger wheel.

The plan was to use either one of those MSD coils or a Subaru one.  The MSD one looks nice in the photos, but I wasn't impressed with the build quality of their distributors.

I have a 009 distributor that I was considering modifying to give me a CAM trigger, but I have read elsewhere on the forum that this isn't required for sequential injection only for coil on plug.  Surely without a CAM trigger the injection could be one of two strokes - or is the idea that as long as it fires during the exhaust or compression stroke then the fuel will sit on the back of the valve (in a port injection system)?

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 10:40:18 pm »
I wouldnt be surprised. The good old A series cranks, standard production items, have been modified to the point they resemble a bent piece of wire, see 10k rpm and survive outputs over 300bhp. Originaly design for around 34bhp :D

One of Fast Carl's, Mr Titanium Carl Austin (www.force-racing.co.uk) works of art

They dont make stuff like they used to. Everything was over engineered back then, heavily :D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:42:05 pm by Sprocket »

Offline paul_f

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 11:00:57 pm »

Or the MSD Blaster coil:

Do you know anyone that has used the blaster coil - it looks like I would need the Mopar connector.

I have a mate who is resident at Chrysler Detroit though, maybe he can get me one

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 11:12:30 pm »
The plan was to use either one of those MSD coils or a Subaru one.  The MSD one looks nice in the photos, but I wasn't impressed with the build quality of their distributors.

I have a 009 distributor that I was considering modifying to give me a CAM trigger, but I have read elsewhere on the forum that this isn't required for sequential injection only for coil on plug.  Surely without a CAM trigger the injection could be one of two strokes - or is the idea that as long as it fires during the exhaust or compression stroke then the fuel will sit on the back of the valve (in a port injection system)?

The MSD coils are good if only because they seem to be discounted to hell on ebay and various on-line shops.  You could "Keep It Real" and use the VAG
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLKWAGON-VW-IGNITION-COIL-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA_W0QQitemZ4574961464QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10372QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Spot-on with the injection sequencing as long as it fires when the valve is closed then all is good.

Offline paul_f

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 02:12:59 pm »
It seems that the mini can also use that MSD coil http://www.jscspeed.com/mini/engine/msd_8239.htm

Or I could use the mini coil BMW-Mini coil on ebay

Should be easier to get the connector and terminals from the Mini dealers.  There a couple cheap on ebay so I will try and get one