Author Topic: VW Splitscreen Camper 2270 Type 4 VEMS  (Read 52435 times)

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Re: VW Splitscreen Camper 2270 Type 4 VEMS
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 08:20:15 am »
With what exact coil ? All the info in this thread was confusing. You should at least assemble all information about your setup in your first post.

I agree it is confusing, I'll edit the first post later on to state the setup.

In any case I am using the BMW Mini Cooper OEM coil that looks the same as this MSD one.  The same coil is also used on Chrysler/Dodge Neons

http://www.msdignition.com/product.aspx?id=5069

I have only had it idling, but I had the chargetime set to 3ms

From that page I can tell it has 0.051 Ohm primary resistance. That's close to nothing. Have you verified?
Use a 10 Amp fuse.
I'd start with 2 ms and on suspected mis-fire raise it 0.2 ms at a time until it goes away.

Offline paul_f

• BHP: 8
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 03:51:36 pm »
My calibrated multimeter at work measures it at 0.6ohms.

I'll take it to the lab to get them to check it though

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 05:13:19 pm »
If you have access to that equipment you could actually get a useful value - with a current clamp and an adjustable pulse you can see what time the coil gets to 6-7A at 13.8V and then at 6V.

Offline paul_f

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 03:56:12 am »
Have now fitted Boxster calipers with 911 disks to my bus instead of the 944 NA ones I had before

Before picture

Today I started on porting the inlet manifolds, the extra welds at the bottom of the tubes were added so I could transition from the larger tube to the original runner size

Bore after welding

Completed porting on one bore, only 3 left!

Offline paul_f

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 03:59:16 am »
Mockup of manifold, throttle body and velocity stack

The velocity stack I made by pressing a length of exhaust tube over a 46mm 3/4 drive socket with it all greased up. It worked pretty well, so I am going to get a mandrel turned up with a smoother transition which flares out further and remove the seam from the tube (it is ERW so has a weld seem on the inside)

I'm not sure what do about filters yet.  Do the Pipercross socks stretch over velocity stacks and are they any good?

My other option is to mount the velocity stacks into a plate which I then bolt a standard K&N like I currently use with carbs

Offline paul_f

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2010, 07:14:34 am »
Well after finishing my throttle body setup, I went to fit them and then realised the injector placement didn't need the small amount of trimming to the body that I had been told (I know I should have checked for myself ;D) - but instead a 80x200mm strip on each side of the engine bay.  As one side of the engine bay has the chassis number stamped into it, I wasn't happy cutting a large section out of it especially due to the rumours of a crackdown on modified monocoques http://www.the-ace.org.uk/Chassis-and-Monocoque-Modification.html

Therefore I bit the bullet and bought a set of 42mm Jenveys.

Tonight will hopefully be fire up night

Offline paul_f

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 07:23:27 pm »
Its started at the first attempt ;D

I had mistakenly swapped the fuel pump and fan outputs, but swapped that.  Then tested for ignition, it was 180degrees out so swapped that in the config.

It was a bit late so I just gave it a quick crank with injectors and fuel pump active and it fired immediately.

Tomorrow afternoon I can start tuning to try and get it good enough to drive to the MOT sat lunchtime

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 04:37:08 am »
Its a good feeling isnt it?
A few hours tuning should get you at MOT stage - you may need to use their gas-analyser to work out the correct fuel injection sequence.

Rob

Offline paul_f

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010, 05:44:03 am »
Yes it is indeed ;D

I am in work this morning and so have collected a full set of test equipment to use.

I was planning on scoping ignition pulses and injection current and then syncing the sequential injections with the ignition pulses (wasted spark) on that cylinder as you recommended in this thread http://195.159.109.134/vemsuk/forum/index.php/topic,614.0.html

I am guessing this is an alternative to using the gas analyzer there.  My bus normally doesn't go anywhere near the gas analyzer as it is too old;)

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2010, 07:07:55 am »
Cool, although its nice to know that your engine is running cleaner than its Wolfsburg inventors could have possibly imagined back in their day.
I'd really like to remove the Subaru engine from my buggy and put an aircooled engine in there running on a VEMS, it seems so much cleaner.

Offline multiplex

• BHP: 6
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2010, 09:36:36 am »
congrats on the success   :)

its amazing how well these motors run on EFI - i recently finished up my 1835cc with COP's & ITB's, although its running on an old megasquirt box  :-X

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2010, 11:50:57 am »
I'm not sure you'll get anywhere by adjusting the injection sequence until the injection timing feature is developed. You'll pretty much always be injecting at the wrong time.

Injection timing, which enables full sequential injection, is coming in firmware 1.1.80 very soon, be on the lookout.

Offline paul_f

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2010, 02:31:09 pm »
Well it drives pretty well without any tuning but the WBO2 doesn't appear to work any more.  It reads 0.67 lambda the whole time.

I have checked the pinout and that is fine, 12V is there, but the heater low side drive doesn't appear to be working when i measure voltage across 12v and the heater

It worked when I was running ignition only though.

With the later software can I still connect with terminal and turn the heater on?

I tried the calibrate EGO menu item in Vemstune as I'd guess that would turn the heater on, but when I measured voltage across 12V and WBO2 there was 0V - but 12V was working compared to ground

Offline paul_f

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2010, 05:27:48 pm »
Hopefully found the answer, for some reason my settings had turned to narrowband ???

I had used Mattias's config as a base so I have no idea why that has happened.

Will 15 mins of running without it being powered have ruined the sensor?

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2010, 05:56:50 pm »
No, it can last alot longer then that without power