Author Topic: s14a with gt3240@27psi  (Read 50338 times)

Offline s14nismo

• BHP: 6
Re: s14a with gt3240@27psi
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008, 07:39:01 pm »
 Ive had an idea, if i remove the CAS unit from the head and use say, a rechargeable screwdriver to spin the CAS it should give me a signal without any chance of voltage problems or noise from the starter or alternator shouldn't it? :-\
 And if this still didnt produce a signal then surely nothing would! lol

Or is this just a silly idea :D

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 09:02:27 pm »
Using a drill is a good idea, its the way I've tested the CAS before, the problem I've had is getting the shaft of the CAS into the jaws of the drill.

But before you do this, and risk buggering up your stock timing, try disconnecting everything on the harness - the 4 pin connector, the TPS, injectors and the ignition pack that should leave you with just the power, grounds, flyback, coolant sensor and the CAS in the circuit.

You've definately got the voltage sorted, we were getting an RB25 started with the voltage reading 8v on cranking.

The RPM will only show once the pattern is established (thats why I suggested disabling the sync so that any signal on the primary will start the RPM calculation), the fuel pump will prime as soon as any signal is seen.

If the worst comes to the worst I have an S14a adaptor thats sitting here (its for a wasted spark coil pack) and a VEMS that has just come off the aforementioned RB25 test which I can get out to you in so parts can be swapped out to find the guilty component.  It still scares me that the relay blew when it was plugged in.

Offline s14nismo

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 09:54:57 pm »
Ok thanks rob i'll try this tomorrow ;)

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 12:21:01 am »
I've just found that the primary and secondary trigger signals were swapped on my S14a harness.

Once I changed them round on the EC36 plug, the triggers look like they're working properly.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:44:47 am by dnb »

Offline BenFenner

• BHP: 8
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 03:36:52 am »
as sooned as i STOPPED cranking
the IAC started furiously switching, the engine speed gauge came alive and started jumping around wildly (as did my cars rpm gauge) the "Trigger errors"  started flashing at the bottom of the screen, all this went on for about 10 seconds then stopped!

Im confused!

Oh, the memories...

As for that IAC clicking, you need to place your IAC frequency to a multiple of 64 (0, 64, 128) to stop that clicking. 0 is probably best as to avoid confusion. A lot of us run 0 around here.
My tach likes to jump around occasionally too... Haven't found a solution to it yet. It will also stay high as long as the fuel pump is priming.
Trigger errors indeed.
1994 Black SE-R (VEMS, going turbo)
1994 Black SE-R (with sunroof)

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 08:28:04 am »
We discussed this late into the night last night, if these tests don't prove successful then:

I'm going to make up an adaptor this evening that has purely the grounds, power, ECCS relay and trigger wires and send it to dnb so that he can test it on his working S14a installation, once thats tested and proven, he's going to post it to you so we can eliminate that part of the equation.

Offline s14nismo

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 09:43:06 am »

Oh, the memories...

As for that IAC clicking, you need to place your IAC frequency to a multiple of 64 (0, 64, 128) to stop that clicking. 0 is probably best as to avoid confusion. A lot of us run 0 around here.
My tach likes to jump around occasionally too... Haven't found a solution to it yet. It will also stay high as long as the fuel pump is priming.
Trigger errors indeed.

Thanks, this could prove usefull! :)

I once had a problem with the tach jumping around with my stock ecu, it turned out to a noisy alternator.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2008, 11:39:12 am »
Noise is always going to be an ever present problem, it may be the cause of the problem we're having here... or it might not.

The VEMS wiki finally came back to life early this morning, and it has some information on trigger logs and the like:
http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=InputTrigger%2FTriggerLog

To do this will mean you have to be comfortable using the Terminal program thats in the Tools directory of the software.

The com configuration for VEMS is - the com port, 8, None, 1

Type Man then hit return, you should see Hello>
then type mlp01 then return.
Then type mll and you should see the information in the Wheel error counter section.

Normally I dont suggest this to end users as its far from being friendly.  If I can find the people who know, I will find the v3gui information for testing triggers which should cause less pain.

Offline s14nismo

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2008, 02:36:55 pm »
I tried disconnecting everything from the loom to isolate the trigger, pulled the cas from the head and span it with a drill, but it made no difference at all,
still no signal :'(
 I stuck my DVM in the back of the CAS plug pins and turned the wheel and it seemed to be switching voltage ok on both the primary and secondary, so it seems the sensors themselves are working.

Noise is always going to be an ever present problem, it may be the cause of the problem we're having here... or it might not.

The VEMS wiki finally came back to life early this morning, and it has some information on trigger logs and the like:
http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=InputTrigger%2FTriggerLog

To do this will mean you have to be comfortable using the Terminal program thats in the Tools directory of the software.

The com configuration for VEMS is - the com port, 8, None, 1

Type Man then hit return, you should see Hello>
then type mlp01 then return.
Then type mll and you should see the information in the Wheel error counter section.

Normally I dont suggest this to end users as its far from being friendly.  If I can find the people who know, I will find the v3gui information for testing triggers which should cause less pain.

I'll have a look at the terminal program, I had a quick read on the wiki, it makes things sound very complicated!  ??? lol

Offline s14nismo

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2008, 03:30:27 pm »
This is curious, a couple of times now ive gone into secondary trigger/cam sync settings and the value" TODO! should be 0x02 when disabled!"  has changed itself to a random number like 9 or 7!!!
 Im wondering if any other settings have changed too?

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2008, 03:36:19 pm »
Right then, I'll get that test adaptor made up and over to dnb who'll kindly (been roped into this) test the thing for us, and then send it on to you.

Changing secondary settings?  Strange.  Make sure that you set the value, then Burn to Ecu before closing.
Double check that its on 2 once you've done that

Offline s14nismo

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2008, 03:41:17 pm »
Right then, I'll get that test adaptor made up and over to dnb who'll kindly (been roped into this) test the thing for us, and then send it on to you.

I really appreciate this, im doing a lot of head scratching at the moment! lol

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2008, 03:59:30 pm »
So am I!

I have two cars at the moment that are not showing a cranking signal that tested fine on my test bench.

Amazingly bad luck...

Rob

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2008, 11:51:32 pm »
The triggerlog thing is easier than it looks!  It's fairly easy once your'e sat in the car doing the tests.

While I get a trigger signal waveform, I haven't made my 200 run yet.  I expect it's the 50/50 TDC after trigger because I didn't get time to look at that today - I just hoped it would run ;)

I'm sure 127.5 isn't the right number for TDC after trigger...

How does 52.5 or 37.5 sound?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:50:43 am by dnb »

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2008, 08:37:36 am »
52.5 would be the better number... there will be a massive difference in timing if the disk is swapped round.