Author Topic: Audi AAN wheelspeed input to PS2 adapter?  (Read 9430 times)

Offline Audis6

• BHP: 0
Audi AAN wheelspeed input to PS2 adapter?
« on: July 02, 2015, 05:52:50 am »
my VEMS is PS2 port version.I ordered the PS2 adapter cable since i'm going to utilize the new boost/gear dependent mode
on FW1.2.30 I'm looking to the Audi Schematic and found audi uses Reed switch as Vehicle speed sensor.I know
the new VEMS is internal wired on EC18/8.Can i just simply tap the signal from Motronic pin50(of55) on PS2-clk and GND?

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
  • BHP: 22
Re: Audi AAN wheelspeed input to PS2 adapter?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 11:41:59 am »
Hello Audis6,

If you ordered the ps2 to wheelspeed adapter cable (from https://shop.vems.hu/catalog/wheelspeed-cable-p-143.html), just follow the instructions included with it.

Best regards, Dave

Offline Audis6

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 01:38:13 am »
Hello Dave,
i followed the schematic on the paper connected the wheelspeed(Reed switch from motornic pin50/55)signal to DSUB9/9 ,
GND to DSUB9/7.i used the value settings of the wheelspeed on vemstune from my friend who has the newer genboard(internal wired to EC18/8) but didn't work out unfortunately.i used the firmware 1.2.30 which presumably it has only wheelspeed
(not for PS2)available so nothing should be wrong on this step.

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 09:10:14 am »
Hello Audirs6,

i followed the schematic on the paper connected the wheelspeed(Reed switch from motornic pin50/55)signal to DSUB9/9 ,
GND to DSUB9/7.

Your connections sound good, lets run generic HW verifications to rule out some parts of the equation:

1) with ps2 side connected to v3 ecu, ecu powered and reed switch not connected to dsub9/9; measuring with DVM (digital volt meter) between dsub9/7 and dsub9/9 do you have ~5v there ?
2) do you also have ~0v between ps2/5 and ps2/3 (like before with dsub9/9 dsub9/7 not connected) ?
3) when shorting dsub9 pin 7 and 9 do you have ~5v between ps2/5 and ps2/3 ?
4) when connecting the reed switch and turning slowly driving the car (or perhaps turning the wheels) do you have alternating ~0-5v between dsub9/9 and dsub 9/7 ?

If everything checks out than the HW side should be good and we should focus on configuration or firmware, please make a sharing report containing at least config (vemscfg) and link it here so i can review. If you fail at any of the HW tests, please elaborate with your measurements and we'll work from there.

Best regards, Dave

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:46:20 am by VEMS »

Offline Audis6

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 02:54:41 pm »
Hello Dave
1) with ps2 side connected to v3 ecu, ecu powered and reed switch not connected to dsub9/9; measuring with DVM (digital volt meter) between dsub9/7 and dsub9/9 do you have ~5v there ?
I measured with DVM and got only 1Volt between DSUB9/9 vs DSUB9/7
2) do you also have ~0v between ps2/5 and ps2/3 (like before with dsub9/9 dsub9/7 not connected) ?
I measured the PS2/5(PS2-clk) VS PS2/3(GND) from V3side. yes I got 0volt
3) when shorting dsub9 pin 7 and 9 do you have ~5v between ps2/5 and ps2/3 ?
I'm not sure what does this mean?you meant on the PS2 wheel speed cable I shorted pin 7&9 on DSUB9 side and measured
with DVM on another side of cable(PS2 side)?

4) when connecting the reed switch and turning slowly driving the car (or perhaps turning the wheels) do you have alternating ~0-5v between dsub9/9 and dsub 9/7 ?
I have tried to measure the chassis GND vs the signal from Pin50/55 motronic.I noticed the voltage needle altered forth and back and steady and some point when the car is stationary.I believe the signal output from motronic is just fine.

If everything checks out than the HW side should be good and we should focus on configuration or firmware, please make a sharing report containing at least config (vemscfg) and link it here so i can review. If you fail at any of the HW tests, please elaborate with your measurements and we'll work from there.
Dave,I attached the config.recently i also tried to d/l the latest 1.2.31 with wheelspeed FW but no worky at all.Thanks Pop

Best regards, Dave

Offline Audis6

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 02:58:15 pm »
I couldn't attach the file right here so here's my config on 4shared.com

http://www.4shared.com/file/vDrvNuL0ba/before1_2_31FW.html

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 03:41:49 pm »
Hello Audirs6,

The creation of sharing report and link is build into VemsTune, its under help->Vems sharing center, it allows you to select files for upload; packages them and uploads to the Vems sharing center, it also creates a link for you to access them (which can be posted here).

I was unable to download the logfile from the link you posted without entering all kinds of data, please create a sharing report using the instructions above and i'll review.

Best regards, Dave

Offline Audis6

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 04:32:58 pm »

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 04:57:33 pm »
Hello Pop,

i think it's here.

Got it and reviewed, no problems there, you are running non-ps2 firmware (known good version 1.2.30) and have setup wheelspeed in a way that should work.
There must be some hardware problem we have not found yet.

Best regards, Dave

Offline Audis6

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 05:26:07 pm »
Hello Pop,

i think it's here.

Got it and reviewed, no problems there, you are running non-ps2 firmware (known good version 1.2.30) and have setup wheelspeed in a way that should work.
There must be some hardware problem we have not found yet.

Best regards, Dave

Big Thanks Dave,
Can you describe how to measure the wires and connectors on the step 3(above post) again?
Is it possible we have problems on the PS2 wheelspeed cable?i don't think the V3 genboard should
have any problems.i never done any soldered jobs on the genboard before.it's also the first time using
the ps2 port since purchased on 2009

Offline fphil

• BHP: 6
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 06:17:21 pm »
I measured with DVM and got only 1Volt between DSUB9/9 vs DSUB9/7

I have measured 0.89V ( base - emitter) as well, which should mean that the transistor is saturated and that there is a CE current which gives PS-2/5 = 0V.
In my case I put a 1kOhm between DSU9/9 and DSU9/7 to get 0.4V at input(not connected)  and so block the transistor and get PS-2/5 = 5V. This may not be necessary depending on the speed sensor.
In may case I want to interface with the Jaeger speed counter and sensor.

Offline Audis6

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 06:58:50 am »
Hello,
This morning i have tried measuring all connectors with DVM again.

with V3 powered;

PS2 Female connector(V3)
Pin#3(GND) VS Pin#5(PS2-CLK) got 0Volt.

Pin##3(GND) VS Pin#4(+5Vsupply) got 5Volts.

I guess the V3 send out the +5Volts power then it shouldn't have something on V3board!!??

Next,I have tried to measure the signal from pin50/55 the.the signal was send in pulse signal between 0V and 11V whilst the
car is moving...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsqY2lB84c0

Then,with V3 powered;i connected the PS2 connectors together and measured with DVM.
DSUB9/7(GND) VS DSUB9/9(PS2-clk;aka singnal-in) got 0.8-0.9Volt(same as fphil's post above)
DSUB9/7(GND) VS DSUB9/8(+5V supply) got 5Volts as it should.

Again,i disconnected the PS2 connectors and connected the signal from pin50 motronic to DSUB9/9 and GND to  DSUB9/7.
i used the DVM to measure the PS2 male connector(Cable).
Pin#3 vs Pin#5 got 0 volt**.

**on the red 0 volt reading Does this mean the cable fails to send the signal(0-5V) to V3?that's why i got wheelspeed won't be working?

and something surprised when i assembled everything when i opened the vemstune i found wheelspeed reading 0-5 whilst the car is stationary.maybe something needs more investigation then.

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 09:12:12 am »
Hello Pop,

Can you describe how to measure the wires and connectors on the step 3(above post) again?
Is it possible we have problems on the PS2 wheelspeed cable?

After reading your last posts i see what the confusion might have been, the step 2) and 3) from my list are meant to be done with the converter connected to the v3 measuring at the inside of the converter (ps2 side). You seem to have done the measurements on v3 (female ps2 connector) only which in itself will not provide us with any additional information.

I recommend to redo the measurements outlined in my post step 2) and 3) (with converter connected to v3) and report here, we'll work from there.

Best regards, Dave

Offline Audis6

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 04:05:28 pm »
Hello Dave,Just to clarify on the above comment.
You meant with the PS2 port connected together,
And splice the wires on the cable and measured it with DVM?
Also shorting dsub9/9 and dsub9/7 at another end
And measured it again right?

One thing,on the ps2 port,i tried only
Short the outer metal rings parts between
The ps2 connectors together,the wheel speed
Reading upto max 255km/h.any clues on this situation?
Many thanks,
Pop