Author Topic: No primary trigger signal (VR)  (Read 14691 times)

Offline Lizard

• BHP: 1
No primary trigger signal (VR)
« on: March 21, 2013, 01:54:13 am »
Hello Gents,

I have just gotten a VEMS V3.6
For those in the ordering it is serial # 6690

I tried it first with the firmware that came with it, I could not get it there.
So I plugged in the VEMS brain from my other car (very similar wiring), and cranked and I see a good signal there. So wiring is good.

After that I downgraded the firmware from 1.2.9 (came with unit) to 1.1.96 as that is what I have on my brain that registered VR input signal. I have now tried again and get no RPM signal.

additionally, plugging in my brain I could turn on/off the fuel pump and coolant fans. After a reload of the config file (while still on 1.2.9) it would let me turn on/off the fuel pump, but nothing else.
Once I was back to 1.1.96 on the new brain, I can again no longer test the fuel pump, cooling fans, etc.

Any help on this would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

Offline Lizard

Re: No primary trigger signal (VR)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:10:56 am »
I should also note that I used the Record Triggerlog and it doesnt show a signal there either.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 11:46:05 pm »
Sounds like to me it´s a HALL effect ecu.

best to email info@vems.hu and ask them for the specifications for your ecu to verify.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 08:29:22 am »
It could also be the case that you are loosing too much battery voltage at the onset of cranking leading to an ECU reset. That means triggerlogs are never recorded and you might not see rpm for many seconds until VemsTune resyncs the communication (vemslog file would show this).
Not being able to activate outputs can be that your ECU is in safe mode after upgrading firmware with a too old release of VemsTune.

Either way, there is a built-in error reporting tool in VemsTune that makes it possible for you to show us config and vemslog files.

Offline Lizard

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 09:04:12 pm »
I will upload the config file, and a log tomorrow.

As of yet though, I cannot get anything to work on this new brain right out of the box.

I also have to admit that I am not very pleased with support. This is the 3rd VEMS install I have done (lots of MS installs too), and never had this trouble before.
I contacted the info@vems, and asked for suggestions, they linked me to members pages and said to go ahead and send it back but it would likely not be a warranty repair.
No other suggestions as to what could be wrong, or settings to check. They also said that I likely damaged it due to a bad ground. :(

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 10:06:21 pm »
Remove the trigger sensor and measure voltage in the connector.
4-5 Volts between the signal and ground pin if it's a Hall effect input.
Close to 0 Volts if it's a VR input.

The support for this product is not easy to get to,  but it is directly related to how much info you can input your self about the issue. The help you can get back is of high quality if you provide sufficient information to give _any_ support. Config files, log files and things like that are mandatory.
A well written and documented MembersPage is a very good idea to document your own setup even if you don't have any use of the support through those channels.

Offline Lizard

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 03:04:21 am »
Just wanted to update a conclusion to this.

A friend had suggested that the TPIC6A259DW chip was fried.
Emailing info@vems, they confirmed this was likely correct and there would be a charge for replacing that chip.

I contacted Texas Instruments (maker of said chip), and they sent me a sample pack of 3.

Removed the old chip, soldered in a new one, and VOILA it all works. Uploaded the config file, and BAM fired right up.

Thanks fellows!

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 03:03:12 pm »
What are you driving with the P259 outputs?
How are the grounds in the harness laid out?

Offline Lizard

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 03:16:22 pm »
Mattias,

The P259 outputs are triggering ch5 for fuel pump relay,
Ch 1 for cooling fan relay, and ch 0 for tach (not currently connected)

Grounds are all soldered together 120mm from brain to a good lead which goes to a factory ground point which is covered in bronze from the factory to aid in connectivity.

I have verified there is no resistance down to .01 ohm from each pin to ground, then to battery negative. It would be nice to know why it fried, but I'm not overly worried about it.

Offline njorge0319

• BHP: 0
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 02:19:34 am »
im having almost the same problem right now..i forgot to reconnect the ground to that grouping just near ecu.. it was only connected at pins 26 and 27,, i cranked it no start then realized i forgot that ground reconnected it and still nothing.. im wondering if i did damage to the chip?? where can i get the chip and do you have any pics of where it goes on the ecu.. i havnt looked into this much yet, but im likely thinking im going to have to do what you just did cause the car used to run great and this is the only thing i can think of right now

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 06:16:40 pm »
im having almost the same problem right now..i forgot to reconnect the ground to that grouping just near ecu.. it was only connected at pins 26 and 27,, i cranked it no start then realized i forgot that ground reconnected it and still nothing.. im wondering if i did damage to the chip?? where can i get the chip and do you have any pics of where it goes on the ecu.. i havnt looked into this much yet, but im likely thinking im going to have to do what you just did cause the car used to run great and this is the only thing i can think of right now

yes p259 dead, just remove chip or cut his power supply pin
Vems installer in Lithuania
valdas.sunokas@gmail.com

Offline njorge0319

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 10:06:01 pm »

i emailed jason@vems and he told me the same thing, i desoldered pin 4 and tried it, still nothing. plus after that my fuel pump and coolant fans obviously didnt work. plus im dont see how my p259 could be fried since the fans and fuel pump relays are both switched with the p259 and they worked again after i resoldered the pin back, could my issue be the lm1815m chip for the crank sensor?

diyautotune sells a lm1815N chip for like 3 bucks and change, not sure if its any different from the lm1815M that is on my vems board??

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 02:28:31 am »

i emailed jason@vems and he told me the same thing, i desoldered pin 4 and tried it, still nothing. plus after that my fuel pump and coolant fans obviously didnt work. plus im dont see how my p259 could be fried since the fans and fuel pump relays are both switched with the p259 and they worked again after i resoldered the pin back, could my issue be the lm1815m chip for the crank sensor?

diyautotune sells a lm1815N chip for like 3 bucks and change, not sure if its any different from the lm1815M that is on my vems board??

measure 1815 voltage and you will see what is wrong.... or just put finger on it, if lm1815 power supply is hot it means it's something whong with p259.. sorry to much whiskey tonight.......
valdas.sunokas@gmail.com

Offline njorge0319

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 10:04:56 pm »
what leg do i measure n the 1815? and wouldnt my p259 be good since my fans and fuel pump are working fine??
ive been trying to find some schematics online so i can figure out where the power runs but havnt had much luck, also ordered a few lm1815m chips from mouser electronics for a few bucks each, should have them this week, i think i might order som extra p259 chips also just incase. id still like to get to the root of the problem though

Offline Kamuto

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 10:25:57 am »
what leg do i measure n the 1815? and wouldnt my p259 be good since my fans and fuel pump are working fine??
ive been trying to find some schematics online so i can figure out where the power runs but havnt had much luck, also ordered a few lm1815m chips from mouser electronics for a few bucks each, should have them this week, i think i might order som extra p259 chips also just incase. id still like to get to the root of the problem though
yes you are right, if pump and fans are ok, p259 should be ok. http://circuits.datasheetdir.com/21/LM1815-circuits.jpg 8 pin , it should be like 4.99v or something
valdas.sunokas@gmail.com