Author Topic: methanol / water injection control  (Read 10651 times)

Offline multiplex

• BHP: 6
methanol / water injection control
« on: August 07, 2007, 12:59:04 am »
Does vems have any support for proportionally controlling WI?

i believe the injector pulse width would be to short to control any type of solonoid.

Is there any other MAP proportional output? PWM?

Thanks!

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: methanol / water injection control
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 08:54:24 am »
MAP proportional output may be possible with some Boost control development, the trouble with that is that the Boost control expects to see some feed back as a result of its actions.

Unfortunately all of our hardware PWMs are used up with things like the wideband controller and such like.

Rob

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 01:40:18 pm »
I suspect that if you were careful with the boost controller settings it would do what you wanted.  You could pretty much tell it to expect what the car can never achieve and it'll carry on as if open loop.

Trouble is that I suspect you want WI as well as boost control...

Offline multiplex

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 01:50:21 pm »
yeah i need boost control too  :P

is there any plans for an expansion board for vems? maybe with just some standard i/o?  would be very useful for als, etc.

back on topic. I did find out there is an aquamist injector that is just that. an injector that can respond just like a standard fuel injector. So now that leads me to think i can use the injector output table to fire a 7th injector.

hmm, maybe thats the way to go.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 03:12:59 pm »
There is a serial interface built in to VEMS, but I'm not sure a lot has been done with it yet.  It was something I was going to use for a couple of traction control ideas.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 05:51:07 pm »
yeah i need boost control too  :P

is there any plans for an expansion board for vems? maybe with just some standard i/o?  would be very useful for als, etc.

back on topic. I did find out there is an aquamist injector that is just that. an injector that can respond just like a standard fuel injector. So now that leads me to think i can use the injector output table to fire a 7th injector.

hmm, maybe thats the way to go.

ALS, LC and Shift cut can be activated by three pins on the EC18 plug.
I'm afraid that there aren't any plans to develop any boards for the V3 unit, the development effort is going into new areas (CDi module is being experiemented with at the moment).

Personally I'd start off with Misc out to switch the solenoid based on Boost &| RPM and add complication once you've exhausted the oppotunities offered by that

Offline multiplex

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 03:40:05 pm »
ok for some reason i think i might be using up some of those inputs already, but i'll check.

i decided to simply order a meth/water injection kit from snow performance and not try to have VEMS control my entire car  ;D

it will be much easier in the end.

dnb i'd like to here more about your traction ideas. i'm in the process of laying out a board to do some wheel speed data logging, and communications with vems would be the next step.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 04:31:12 pm »
Think about using a hardware abstraction layer in your design - you might want to go to CANbus.

Offline multiplex

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 04:39:31 pm »
yeah exactly  ;)

what would be really nice is to be able to tell vems to pull timing, or drop out injection cycles, or open up wastegate. the options are endless.

although i have alot of work to do before any of that is a concern.