Author Topic: VEMS Analog CH's  (Read 11907 times)

Offline VemsedE36

• BHP: 1
VEMS Analog CH's
« on: October 31, 2011, 06:59:47 pm »
Hello, I just got my VEMS v3.6 and I have few question regarding to the analog inputs.
I've ordered my ECU as below:

Assembled v3.6 controller
  - Flyback: 30V flyback
  - EGT input: 1
  - 1-wire interface: no
  - withSDcard: no
  - secondary_trigger: HALL
  - PS2 connection: no
  - primary_trigger: EC36/27 VR
  - mounting-style: no-screws
  - MAP connection: 400kPa (5/3mm pneumatic)
  - LCD connection: no
  - Knock input channels: 2 ( As my plan was using 2 bosch sensors)
  - ignition driver: 8

Now I decided to use phormula device for monitoring knocks, so can I use the phormula 5v output to the Vems EC18pin2 Analog in ch5 instead of the 2nd bosch knock sensor?

To which analog should I connect the Launch control? Also the Oil Pressure Sensor?

Offline jrussell

• VEMS USA
  • Administrator
  • BHP: 15
    • VEMS USA
Re: VEMS Analog CH's
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:33:03 pm »
There will be a sheet shipped with your ECU that says which analog channels have a pull-up and protection. Just choose two of those for your launch control and oil pressure. It really doesn't matter as everything is configurable. Since you ordered with 2 knock, EC18-pin12 will be used for that, you can't re-use it for an analog input. Choose a different analog input available. That wouldn't want a pull-up, I don't expect.
VEMS USA - Located in beautiful Burlington, Vermont
1988 RX7 Turbo

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 09:50:52 am »
The knock chip is an application specific chip that is designed to monitor the piezoelectric sensors on the engine.
Unless the Phormula puts out something that mimics the signal then it will not work directly.
Who knows though - it may be possible to setup the Phormula to output something that the VEMS can use on those channels and it may be possible to lash something together that works.
But there are so many variables in this equation that it might prove to be impossible.

Offline VemsedE36

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 05:41:48 pm »
Since you ordered with 2 knock, EC18-pin12 will be used for that, you can't re-use it for an analog input. Choose a different analog input available. That wouldn't want a pull-up, I don't expect.

As per the sheet, EC18-pin12 not for knock, here is the sheet I got

So to activate launch control, a ground input all I need for analog in CH2, correct?
And which 2nd analog in should be used for phormula?

I will surrender the pressure sensor. :(

Offline VemsedE36

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 11:52:40 am »
Somebody tell me please how to connect the phormula???

Offline jrussell

• VEMS USA
  • Administrator
  • BHP: 15
    • VEMS USA
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 10:53:13 pm »
I'm assuming you have a Phormula KS-4 (you never said, that I can find).

If you take the 5v output and feed it to EC18-pin 16 (Analog Channel 1) then you can go to Motorsports -> Anytrim Control and change Anytrim 3 to spark corr and MCP3208 ch 1.
Then go to Motorsports -> Anytrim 3 curve and set the spark change according to input voltage.

It's up to you to MAKE SURE that the signal is never more than 5v. That can fry the mcp3208 chip. That actually goes for any of the analog inputs. I'm guessing you'll have to scope the signal and find what voltage is reached under normal conditions, then again under knock conditions so you know how to set the curve.
VEMS USA - Located in beautiful Burlington, Vermont
1988 RX7 Turbo

Offline Jamo

• BHP: 6
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 09:23:35 am »

Offline fphil

• BHP: 6
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 06:07:39 pm »
"change Anytrim 3 to spark corr and MCP3208 ch 1."

Thanks, I did not notice this anytrim control. Indeed this is in the Motorspoort menu and my project is not that far ;p)

How does this set up works with the Analog input Calibration set up ?

I have spent 2 hours playing with the analog input to just get Channel 6 working !! may be fired the other mcp3208 channels  ! (I do not understand why some of them may not be protected).

Thank you for any explanation concerning the analog input capabilities and set up complementary to the VT help.