Author Topic: no trigger after upgrade (SOLVED)  (Read 14511 times)

Offline s14nismo

• BHP: 6
no trigger after upgrade (SOLVED)
« on: September 18, 2010, 06:17:20 pm »
Hello people ,i decided today to upgrade to 1.1.74 Via the firmware webtool and uploaded mattias' default config after adjusting to suit my old config but i seem to have lost my trigger as my rpm in vemstune is staying at 0 whilst cranking.

The engine is an sr20det with 24+1 trigger wheel im guessing i just need to change settings as im getting this flag on opening vemstune;

my old and new trigger settings are;

Old

new

old

new

old

new

setup

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Scott
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 01:11:26 pm by s14nismo »

Offline s14nismo

Re: no trigger after upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 06:19:07 pm »
I Forgot to mention the old firmware was 1.1.18 if thats relevant!

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 08:36:34 pm »
First off I'd go for 1.1.81 as that seems to be the most up to date version.

Then (after making sure that the fuel is powered off) disable the secondary trigger and check to see if you get an RPM signal.
I'd love to help more but I've never had the chance to upgrade a Nissan CAS based install - we were going to on an RB25 but the project stalled.
So we'll go one step at a time.

Offline s14nismo

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:14:17 pm »
Rob, i loaded 1.1.81 today, but still no rpms with or without cam sync disabled.

So while i get to the bottom of the trigger issue i decided to reload the old 1.1.18 firmware and config......but it seems vemstune doesnt recognise 1.1.18 as a valid firmware at all and doesnt appear on the firmware web tool either!
  So then i tried loading it the original way (with the batch files supplied in the software bundle) but i couldnt get any communication! and megatune doesnt wanna know either.

Any suggestions?

If any other users are running a recent firmware on an sr20det with a 24+1 wheel in the cas please share some wisdom! (and config  ;) )

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 09:34:52 pm »
I have asked Emil, and he's said that there will be a lot of trigger changes needed from 1.1.18 to 1.1.81.
So I think we need to stick with trying the new 1.1.81 version.
We have got a handy addition on the new VEMSTune as theres a nice tool in Tools->Analyze/Record trigger log to show the pulses that the ECU is seeing.
Apparently the degrees per tooth value is essential, it should be well described in the F1 help page for that screen, which has an example for a 24+1 trigger.

So give that a go, and if all else fails download your config and we'll get it in front of someone who knows more than you or I do!

Offline peter_jensen

• BHP: 5
  • Vems sins 2004
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 12:00:12 am »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:14:30 am by peter_jensen »

Offline s14nismo

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 04:22:42 pm »
Ok guys, thanks for the reply, i've tried the 'record trigger log' feature but got no trigger or any events recorded.

ive loaded different configs and tried multiple trigger settings but still nothing on any of them.

bearing in mind that this was a running engine before upgrade and no hardware changes were made at all, except to isolate fuel pump, coils and injectors.

any more ideas any one?

thanks, Scott

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 04:56:12 pm »
any more ideas any one?
Uploading a .vemslog of cranking the engine for peer review would be a good first step.

Offline s14nismo

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 06:47:06 pm »
only a couple seconds of cranking :-\,but;

http://www.mediafire.com/?139zap2ynik2vh3

Offline s14nismo

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 07:45:40 pm »

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 03:53:37 am »
I think you may have been bitten by the same little feature, but I am quite sure it has been fixed after I made the firmware developers aware of it 5-6 months ago.  The fuel pump relay control settings tell you how long to power on the pump without a trigger signal, and how soon to turn it off after loosing the signal. The last one must NOT be set to 0, make it at least 0.5 seconds. Having it set to 0 may have the appearance of loosing the trigger signal or not having it at all, guess where I spent my time looking for this issue... like I said, it should be fixed but I can't find the info in the firmware changes in the Wiki. Fix that setting to begin with and then we'll see if you get an rpm signal going, if not then we'll have to dig deeper.

Other things I noticed:
- Under secondary trigger settings, make the minimum acceptable angle = 0.
- Disable EGO correction at first. Tune the VE table roughly without it. I generally do all tuning open loop (EGO off).
- Your coolant temp sensor (CLT) is not connected, -40 C is a tell-tale sign.

You've probably been grinding the engine a bit, be aware that dipping below 10 Volts normally indicate that you need a better battery or larger dimension cables to the starter motor.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 12:01:19 pm »
Just running through the settings in VEMSTune - where is the minimum acceptable angle value entered? I can't see a text box anywhere in the secondary trigger window???

Offline s14nismo

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 06:48:17 pm »
Just running through the settings in VEMSTune - where is the minimum acceptable angle value entered? I can't see a text box anywhere in the secondary trigger window???

I assume its this, second from bottom? (it only showed when the firmware and config version ID at the bottom of the vemstune panel read 1.1.81)

Mattias, yes the battery defo needs charging after lots of fruitless test cranking ;)

I'm gonna try the suggested changes tomorrow and report my results.

Thanks again guys for the help,

Scott

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 07:57:12 pm by s14nismo »

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 10:09:34 pm »
It's probably worth pulling the plugs out to take the load off the starter and battery.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 11:30:05 pm »
It's probably worth pulling the plugs out to take the load off the starter and battery.

Just a reminder to everyone, this is a nice way of building up the oil pressure in the engine and for strobing the ignition without compression in the engine - but remember to ALWAYS ground the plugs to the engine properly with a copper wire wound around the threads of the plug. If you don't the spark will go where you don't want it to and possibly destroy the ignition coil (spark jumps in the secondary windings, permanently damaging the insulator).