Author Topic: "Pin in" in Econoseal plug for Audi AAN/ABY  (Read 22090 times)

Offline tweak

• BHP: 3
"Pin in" in Econoseal plug for Audi AAN/ABY
« on: May 11, 2010, 04:31:29 pm »
Having the pn'p ECU ver3,3 i'm well aware of the pinouts from the ECU which is thankfully well documented. But since this is a plug and play set up for my Audi i'm not exactly aware of what else there might be in the Econoseal plug that could be connected to something.
A wiring diagram of the pins that goes from the car and into the plug could turn out useful. I'm thinking of possibilities to control fan etc. from the Vems unit.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Re: "Pin in" in Econoseal plug for Audi AAN/ABY
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 04:40:49 pm »
Check out the spreadsheet that is linked to in the first page :
http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=VemsAudiAan

Pretty much all that the stock harness provides is already wired in, wheel speed and all.

The 6 pin connector can be used to control extra functions, read about it on the Wiki page I just linked to.

Offline tweak

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 11:37:54 am »
Mattias
I think the 6 pin extra output is already busy by the WBo2 sensor.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 12:13:27 pm »
If you check the page again that I linked to earlier, you can see that before 2007-08 the WBO2 was on a 5 pin connector, after that on a 6 pin connector.
Which is yours? What connectors does your ECU have ?

Offline tweak

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 12:31:50 pm »
If you're thinking about the extra socket next to the 55 pin Econoseal then yes, it's taken by the WBo2 sensor.
But i can have a look to see if it's 5 or 6 pins in it.

Offline tweak

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 12:19:01 am »
It's a 6 pin but it's occupied to what i think is the O2 sensor, but i did not build this car so i cant tell for 100% sure.
I'm looking for a RPM/boost trigged channel to run a secondary fuelpump.

Offline tweak

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 01:19:50 pm »
Another question which may belong somewhere else. The wheelspeed is fed into pin 50, but i see nowhere in Vemstune where i actually can choose this pin for the wheelspeed input.

Offline tweak

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 12:41:32 pm »
Yes, if you are still with me, the  6pins are free. I want to use the EC36-34 ch2 to run a 2.nd fuelpump. I believe this is connected to one out of 2 possible channels on this extra pin.

I tried to measure this pin which has a 5v pull up, whis correctly is at 5v. But when setting the Misc1 output to I259 and ch2  and then trying to trig the event that should ground the pin, its still at 5vdc. I'm wondering what i do wrong here.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Re the wheelspeed. Its coming in there, but there is nowhere i can choose the correct pin for it in vemstune.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 10:46:51 pm »
Wheelspeed has a dedicated input, on regular Econoseal boxes you get a paper with your ECU which says if it's wired to the EC18 pin 8. In your case, it's wired to the Motronic pin unless it's an old ECU. Watch the signal, it should be apparent if it's working or not.

Offline tweak

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 08:12:33 pm »
No paper unfortunately, and someone else buildt the car :-\
Wheelspeed is supposed to be on the econoseal pin 50, which counterfits with god knows what pin on the EC18 or EC36. I cannot find any documentation on this.

Then, in the misc output selection i tried to check the voltage supposed to come out from the I259 channel 2 & 3 on the extra pins 4 & 5. But unfortunately 0V was measured, when trigging the event that should fire this circuit. For any case i Ω'ed the pins as well and indefinate high resistance was the result.

So i guess my question now is how can i find out which channels goes to this extra pins in my Audi S2 case?

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 10:06:08 pm »
I don't see what you're asking, you already have the documents on the PnP wiring through the link I just gave you.

You don't have an Econoseal plug, you have Motronic.

The wheelspeed input would be on the EC18 connector on pin 8 if you had one. In your case with Motronic connector it's internally wired from pin 50 to the proper input on the CPU.

The Econoseal pinout is well documented, just check the documentation section of this forum.
http://www.vemssupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,1266.0.html

There is no voltage coming out of the extra pins on the separate connector of your PnP ECU, the extra outputs supply a ground path just like regular ignition and injector outputs do.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:11:27 pm by mattias »

Offline ranz

• BHP: 6
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 08:17:00 am »
Yes, if you are still with me, the  6pins are free. I want to use the EC36-34 ch2 to run a 2.nd fuelpump. I believe this is connected to one out of 2 possible channels on this extra pin.
Why do you want to use spare ecu output to switch second fuelpump? why not connect it parallel with the first one?

Re the wheelspeed. Its coming in there, but there is nowhere i can choose the correct pin for it in vemstune.
V3.3 does not have wheelspeed input connected to motronic connection.

This is the most used extra pinout on motronic:
AAN ECU extra connector pins:

SSC6 feemale

pin1 mcp3208 pin6,ch5
pin2 mcp3208 pin7,ch6
pin3 mcp3208 pin8,ch7
pin4 EC36 pin 34 (power out)
pin5 EC36 pin 36 (power out)
pin6 GND

Pin 1 does not have internal 5V pullup.
2 and 3 have 5V pullup and grounding them from pin 6, you can switch stuff.
Pin 4 and 5 are power outputs and are grounded when active.

Offline tweak

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 09:33:31 am »
Sorry for bringing in the confusion here.

As i understand the wheelspeed which sits on    
PIN 50   piros   speed in   speed in   Wheel speed input, 4k7 4k7 and 5v1 Zener protection diode.

Should come in on EC18 pin 8 IF it's internally wired in. But i don't see any movements on the wheelspeed needle so i guess it's not. (The system was put together in 2008)

Yes, i know it's a ground relay function on the I259, but would you agree it makes sense then to measure something close to 0 ohm against ground then?
Or should i just connect the load and see what happens?

Thanks for the patience!

Offline ranz

• BHP: 6
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 09:45:06 am »
Sorry for bringing in the confusion here.

As i understand the wheelspeed which sits on    
PIN 50   piros   speed in   speed in   Wheel speed input, 4k7 4k7 and 5v1 Zener protection diode.

Should come in on EC18 pin 8 IF it's internally wired in. But i don't see any movements on the wheelspeed needle so i guess it's not. (The system was put together in 2008)
As I said, V3.3 does not have wheelspeed input connected (VEMS V3.3 ecu manual, pinout is at the end),

Yes, i know it's a ground relay function on the I259, but would you agree it makes sense then to measure something close to 0 ohm against ground then?
Thats correct, when the output is active, you should see 0ohm against ground.

Offline tweak

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 01:37:15 pm »
Oki, no wheelspeed then. It's slowly getting more clear, but that's how it is when taking over someone elses work without all documentation.

Thanks for the link, but i still cannot determine from that diagram what the AAN SSC6 pin extra connector which is hanging out of the case is connected to.
As you mention i also read somewhere that the I259 on EC36 pin 34 and 36 was linked to pin 4 & 5 in the female SSC6 socket.

As i said, i tried to ohm them when the trigger should be active and it was not even close to 0 so the challenge continues!
I want to activate the 2.nd fuelpump at higher load d/t it's really noisy plus its just pumping a lot of not needed fuel trough the system. It would also be nice to be able to connect a fan to this SSC6 socket.