Author Topic: Fuses: go by vems manual or factory standards?  (Read 4571 times)

Offline josh-stateside

• BHP: 2
Fuses: go by vems manual or factory standards?
« on: February 21, 2010, 02:25:12 pm »
I have a simple question.

My ABZ v8 engine for instance has a 15amp fuse for the injectors.   In the vems manual it has a 10 amp fuse setup.    Should I be using the OEM rating or the vems rating for fuses?

The stock ignition has a 20amp rating and the vems manual says 10amps.   I'm thinking i should use the OEM sized fuses for this application correct? 

Sorry for such a newbie question.

I'm asking this because most likely I'm going to use circuit breakers instead and make a custom box for it.  That and the fact I do like to know an answer.

thanks
josh

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: Fuses: go by vems manual or factory standards?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 04:00:52 pm »
I´m sure your oem injectors are all jointly using the same fuse and some other parts as well.
Same for the ignition

Offline josh-stateside

• BHP: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 06:47:12 pm »
I guess I was asking about the fuse rating.  When it comes to power it doesn't touch the ecu except for the flyback on the ecu for the injectors.

I assume the audi factory fuse rating is the proper way to go but i wasn't sure if there was a maximum rating for the flyback wire on the ecu for the injectors?

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 03:17:32 am »
I use 15A for my injectors (8 of them) and 20A for my coils (again, I have 8)  If I used 10A fuses then they didn't last more than a month.

It's been like this for at least 3 years and quite a lot of miles now, so I see nothing wrong with you wanting to stick with factory ratings.  Make sure you use the VEMS rating for the ECU itself of course.