Author Topic: SD Card logging - how to -  (Read 16500 times)

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
SD Card logging - how to -
« on: January 18, 2010, 09:16:53 pm »
So I figured I´d put this up and how it worked for me.

It´s only on the bench at the time.

To make SD card logging work I had to do a few things.

VT -  ECU Logger - ECU Log settings

>> Select SD Card

Go to Tools - SD Card Log - Erase
Go to Tools - SD Card Log - Start
The ECU now logs to the SD Card.
I have not been able to verify that it automatically starts when the ecu sees rpm´s.

Thanks to mattias for pointing out the erase thing, as before I was unable to get it started.

Offline Jamo

• BHP: 6
Re: SD Card logging - how to -
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 03:17:18 am »
Hi, i've tried these instructions but no matter what versions of vemstune I can't save any logs, I get a progress bar then vemstunes always crashes.

Are there any settings anywhere that could be affecting this?

Offline JTY

• BHP: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 08:32:23 pm »
Hi, i've tried these instructions but no matter what versions of vemstune I can't save any logs, I get a progress bar then vemstunes always crashes.

Are there any settings anywhere that could be affecting this?

Same problem here, i tried with the SDcard i received with the interface kit from vemsshop, i also tried to chang to kingston card, but no difference.
Also have problems with LCD display that i bought from vemsshop (built ready with sealed case).
I'm really dissapointed with all of this, i would understand that if you built something yourself there
would be some problems, but not with "tested" and built add-ons.
Seems that nothing really works as it should be everything is little in development mode.
Few examples: vemstune is very unstable, vems firmwares are a mess, lcd is screwed (works only if engine off), ps2 interface dosen't do anything (ps2 firmware loaded), sdlog tools crashes vemstune, sdcard is empty even if sdcard logging is on an sdcard is erased correctly, if you have lcd interface in use sdcard interface doesn't fit on the board, documentation is bad, the list goes on  ::)

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 05:23:45 am »
As far as I am concerned the only viable logging to SD card is to use one of these:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8627
It will sit and log analog or RS232 data.  It will be useful for either consuming the AiM data that's spat out of the serial port - or with a slight modification to the logger's firmware - be made to write A out of the serial port and then log the data.

Offline Jim_W

• BHP: 5
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 10:43:20 am »
Has the SD card logger worked for anyone?  If so, what is the known good configuration (fw version, Vemstune version, etc)?  I just installed mine and it does not work.  I have the same problems as described above.  I can't keep a laptop in the car while racing, and the car is not street legal.  I need all of the data I can get from the track to do tuning.

Offline paul_f

• BHP: 8
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 01:19:08 pm »
I think Mattias uses it as I saw a post about the amount of logs he had.

I wish I had read this thread before ordering it last week though...

Offline Erikk

• BHP: 7
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 02:22:59 pm »
Just put the SD-Card in the laptop and download the logs from it using Vemstune.

Having an endplate with the sd-card slot helps out a lot  :)

Sweden - erik.englund@gmail.com

Offline Ascona 400

• BHP: 2
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 03:12:16 pm »
I've just started using the SD card logging, the only issue so far is that I can't save big logs directly via the Vems box.
But when using a SD card reader it works just great  :)

Offline BigD

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 04:07:07 pm »
Works perfectly for me. The only issue I have is when I hit erase with vemstune, it never finishes and crashes. But the card is actually erased. Everything else works great! It's infinitely useful for me since my application is a track car - I can't just pile on the miles on the street like some people, and whipping around the track with a laptop doesn't work too well.

Offline paul_f

• BHP: 8
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 05:02:49 pm »
Which software and vemstune are you using BigD?

Cheers
Paul

Offline Jim_W

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 05:31:21 pm »
When I try to erase, it locks up and never finishes, like yours, BigD.  It also locks up when I try SD Card Extended overview or SD Card overview (old).  When I try start or stop, all of the gauges in vemstune say N/A for a few seconds, then go back to normal operation.  Removing the card is not really an option since I have the version that does not project the card through the end plate, and we do not have time to disassemble the ECU between runs.

Is it possible to use the VE tune by statistics tool when the card is removed to read it in the laptop?  The laptop which has an SD card reader does not have a RS232 port, and we know how well the USB->RS232 cables are working.

Does the LCD need to be disabled in the Display Settings menu to get the SD Card reader to work?  The wiki says nothing about this.  I tried with the LCD Code Enabled in FW set to Enabled and Disabled and still had the same results.

In the Knock sampling settings menu, it specifies 240 (0xF0) as the value in Knock Chan to disable knock sensing, but in the wiki it specifies 0xF1 (241).  Which is correct?  When I set ECU Logger enabled (Disables knock) to SD Card in the ECU Logger setup menu, it sets Knock Chan to 241 (0xF1). 

Offline lugnuts

• BHP: 2
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 06:05:26 pm »
I've been having a lot of trouble reading the SD card Logs as well. The newer vemstune versions have been worse, not better.  We were told it was a communication issue and that one of the first "nightly" builds would fix it.

Maybe it would help if we all listed our computer OS and type of port and adapter used as well?

In my case:

Dell C400
Windows XP
Serial Port
VemsTune 4-28-2010
Firmware - 1.1.70 and 1.174

My problem is - try to read log after racetrack run, and get error message "log is old version, try sd overview_old".

Once in a while, the log works, but never when I really need it to.

I have the SD Reader but have not used it yet. I'm happy to hear that you've had good results with it.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 06:31:49 pm »
Try lowering the baud rate for SD card transfers down from 115200 to 57600, that might help.

Overall, there are flaws that need fixing and you won't get anywhere with what has been suggested earlier,  I have had no luck. Hopefully there will be some focus on SD card logging and functionality, real soon. You can't claim to have a function that doesn't work.

Offline BigD

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 07:37:20 am »
Paul: I'm using VT 2010-07-19 and FW 1.1.78, always try to run the latest.

Jim: I've heard of people downloading the log directly. You'll just need to open the log and then open your config as well for it to work, because the SD logs don't contain config info. I wouldn't worry about the actual Knock Chan value unless you need to configure knock. It's kind of weird what they do. SDCard = Disabled isn't "disabled", it's value 240 which is disable SD logging AND disable Knock (...WHY???), 241 is enable SD logging and disable Knock. Anything else disables SD logging and enables knock (and if you set that value, check the SD logging dropdown, it won't say Disabled or SDCard... it'll be blank, a phantom 3rd option lol).

lugnuts: I use windows xp on a centrino duo Fujitsu, with usb->232. I think this may matter more, my box is V3.6

BTW I can also confirm that it does indeed start when the engine starts. It made me a new log every time I started the car.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 07:39:21 am by BigD »

Offline Jim_W

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 08:11:42 am »
Mattias: what version is your board?  I am using v3.2 #112.  I have not seen any minimum board specifications for the SD card logger- did I miss anything?

you won't get anywhere with what has been suggested earlier
Do you know of something that has not been published that might help?  We should at least update the wiki pages with workarounds and to set everyone's expectations.