Author Topic: Good dyno result for 5 litre Rover v8 and VEMS  (Read 6521 times)

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
Good dyno result for 5 litre Rover v8 and VEMS
« on: August 04, 2009, 03:28:46 am »
Headline figures are 319.5 bhp @ 5700 and 349 ftlbs @ 4000 at the flywheel.  All in all, not a bad result.  The engine looks to be timing limited by det above 5k, but that's no real surprise because it's high compression, 95 RON and 40 degree intake temperature.

Will post the proper graphs when I can scan them, meanwhile here's an excel copy.

There should be another few BHP to extract by carefully pushing up the ignition advance and sorting out an improved cold air supply.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: Good dyno result for 5 litre Rover v8 and VEMS
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:19:56 am »
63hp /liter and it´s det limited?

doesn´t really make sense to me.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 05:46:21 am »
The 1950s engine design and overly warm intake temperature really doesn't help matters. 

Offline gunni

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:09:44 pm »
It´s not really far from what a BMW 3.5 engine from the 70´s does I guess.
But a steeper cam might do wonders if more power is desired.

Offline Sprockets

• BHP: 5
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 06:40:55 pm »
Was wondering how the old TVR was going!  Good work that man, still going nicely I see :)

I'm currently building one of it's bigger brothers, a Buick 455 :D  Should be a nice torque monster when it's done. shame it weighs as much your complete car lol.  Also have to tune it with jets and mechanical advance stops......oh the joys.  You get a bit spoilt with a keyboard and tapping a few numbers :)  I have convinced him to go dizzyless once he's saved up a bit more cash.  Not sure which bit he preferred, more MPG or better response, I'll prefer the not having to adjust a set of points argument.

Anymore plans for the car, or just drive it?

-Gavin

Offline gunni

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 08:03:31 pm »
Why not force the guy to run a VEMS unit?

2 x 4cyl wasted spark + 8 injectors and your gold.

Offline Sprockets

• BHP: 5
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 09:34:48 pm »
All about the money I'm afraid, big price difference in installation.  These aren't exactly a common engine, even in the states. I have 2 options if I wanted injection, run the stock manifold with some form of TBI injector rather than the carb, or turn up some injector bungs and have them welded in the current manifold, and buy a throttle body from somewhere like holley. Then the fuel system will need upgrading also, with either a modded tank or a swirl pot setup.  Would love to go that route, but not viable at the minute, besides the edelbrock carb ain't to bad, just needs time to tweak.

It took me a while to convince him just to go dizzyless.  You know what these american boys are like, only happy with a carb and dizzy! 

Big trouble being, he was happy with how it was before, in his words, it seemed to have a bit of a rattle....on inspection, all bearings severly worn, number 7 rod bearing destroyed, cam bearings gone (Had to lever the cam out!), several lifters collapsed, not 1 exhaust valve seating correct, and had been running far to rich. It's getting some goodies installed (10.5:1 +30 oversize, cam, headwork) on top of the normal rebuild, so once that's all setup, not sure he'll be after much more power!  I'll keep nagging him though with tales of even better economy, driveability, starting and being in the unique position of first VEMS powerd big block buick :)

-Gavin