Author Topic: Connection Points?!  (Read 6647 times)

Offline young_un1

• BHP: 2
Connection Points?!
« on: February 17, 2008, 09:37:59 pm »
Hi there,
           I'm new to this VEMS system, so please bear with me if these questions are daft. I've installed the VEMS loom into an opel manta with a CA18DET engine and have a few queries about a few wires:

I have three wires that I'm not sure about. They are attached to the relay box and are blue, white and purple - what are these for?

Which pins should I attach the wires from the AAC and idle control valve?

Are the pink and grey wires leaving the ECU purely used for operating a shift light or is there anything else? (I have a shift light already as I'm using an EBT Digital dashboard.)

Where should I connect the yellow wire that runs parallel to the main +12V feed?

In the VEMS loom, are all necessary sensor and main earths run to the single ring crimp connector that extends about 30cm from the main connector to the ECU?

When installing the inline resistors to the injectors, is there any ideal distance they should be from the injectors? Ideally I would like to mount these inside the car if there are no issues.

Is there any harm in having a manual control for turning the fuel pump on and off rather than using the relay system in the VEMS system?

Apologies for all the questions but as I say, I'm new to this game. I'm sure there will be plenty more to come.
Many thanks,
                 Alan:) 

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Connection Points?!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 10:16:14 pm »
Hi Alan,

Hi there,
           I'm new to this VEMS system, so please bear with me if these questions are daft. I've installed the VEMS loom into an opel manta with a CA18DET engine and have a few queries about a few wires:

I have three wires that I'm not sure about. They are attached to the relay box and are blue, white and purple - what are these for?

They are for the spare relay:

They can be used to switch anything you like, switching the purple wire to ground will switch the white wire.

Which pins should I attach the wires from the AAC and idle control valve?

We only use the one valve, one is switched on purely by a pressure switch the power steering

The AAC valve should be connected to pin 6 (FET 64)

Are the pink and grey wires leaving the ECU purely used for operating a shift light or is there anything else? (I have a shift light already as I'm using an EBT Digital dashboard.)

They're there for any function that you give them.

Where should I connect the yellow wire that runs parallel to the main +12V feed?

Isnt that the switch to activate the main relay? If so then you need to feed it with the voltage from the ignition switch - so that when ignition is on, the ecu is live.

In the VEMS loom, are all necessary sensor and main earths run to the single ring crimp connector that extends about 30cm from the main connector to the ECU?

Yes, make sure that you bolt it to a clean grounding point.

When installing the inline resistors to the injectors, is there any ideal distance they should be from the injectors? Ideally I would like to mount these inside the car if there are no issues.

Some have them before the injectors, some have them half way between the injectors and the VEMS, some have them right by the econoseal plug - so you should be fine where ever you choose.

Is there any harm in having a manual control for turning the fuel pump on and off rather than using the relay system in the VEMS system?

No, but the VEMS has priming, running and shutdown phases which control the fuel pump nicely.

Apologies for all the questions but as I say, I'm new to this game. I'm sure there will be plenty more to come.
Many thanks, Alan:) 

No problem at all.

Rob

Offline young_un1

• BHP: 2
Re: Connection Points?!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 12:05:05 am »
That's fantastic Rob, many thanks for the answers. I can continue tomorrow with renewed confidence!

Cheers again:)