Author Topic: I think I've Broke it, But Now Fixed  (Read 9810 times)

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
I think I've Broke it, But Now Fixed
« on: October 21, 2007, 05:48:09 pm »
 :-\

Right chaps, i think i have broke something. I have soldered on the second EGT chip of which i know i buggered it as it reads just under 800 degrees all the time. I also soldered on the second VR chip and wired it accordingly to EC18 pad 12. Also soldered on one Dpak Fet onto location at EC18 pad 6. the onboard wiring that was on this pad as described in the genboard documentation was removed as as far as i could work out, did absolutely nothing, i have on board map  so the wire going to EC18 pad 6 did nothing, this was unsoldered, as was the wire for secondary trigger Hall going to EC18 pad 12 ( replace above as for VR).

I have come to start the car and now there is no Primary trigger signal, nothing else has changed.

Is the EGT faulty chip causing some sort of problem with the primary VR os do you also think I have buggered the secondary VR and it is this that causing the problem. LOL i tested the Dpak FET (specfet) and that works ok.

Those surface mount chips are a right bastard to solder and I will not be doing it again :-X Word of advice, buy the Genboard with everything you want or might want already soldered on board ;)

Im off to price up a new board, though its not going to be cheap :'(

Any help apreciated
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 04:28:25 pm by Sprocket »

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: I think I've Boke it
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 09:09:08 pm »
When you loose primary its usually a ground connection problem (not clustered 10 to 15cm away from the board),this causes a voltage differential across the P259 chip which blows and causes the VR sensor primary voltage to be pulled down to zero.

Check the voltage to the VR sensor if its not 5v then remove the P259 and see the voltage spring up to +5V

The dead of an EGT chip is also a sign of a bad earth - the sensor grounds through the chip kills it and then reads pish values

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:51:31 pm »
Bugger!

I have just tried to enable a couple of the P259 outputs with a neon for indication, not working. I then tried it with the terminal program, I get the <0> when genboard is switched on, but when MAN is sent i get a line and a half of junk, lol pretty much the whole character map :-\

I havent checked the primary VR voltage yet as i was wondering if it needs the sensor connected or can I just read the voltage across pins EC36/ 26 and 27

Looking as though the p259 chip is FUBAR'd and wondering how the hell i did that, nthing has changed on the side of it and the loom has not been modified. I'll look at it further tomorrow.

Rob any spare p259 chips and whats the best method to unsolder these.

As for the EGT chip, i think i found the problem, I can see i may have damaged the track/ pad on the board for one of the chips pins, pertty much FUBAR'd, i think the soldering iron is too big

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 09:53:38 pm »
Oh is it possible the second VR chip could be causing this also?

Offline hilly

• BHP: 6
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 08:33:07 am »
Where abouts are you located ???

I could have a look at it and try and repair the damage if you want.

Hilly

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 10:16:25 am »
I found that when the EGT chip on my old VEMS died, it loaded up the 5v regulator and caused the ECU to die randomly, and all the A to D channels read incorrectly...

Sounds like you have a similar problem.

Offline Sprocket

Re: I think I've Broke it
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 04:41:47 pm »
I shall pull the EGT chip tonight and see what happens from there, that shoudnt be too bad to de solder its only a small chip ::)

Im in Runcorn by the way, home of the northern chav :-\

Oh and i have edited the spelling mistake in the title, lol ::)

Thanks for the help so far

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 08:47:32 pm »
I measured the voltage on pin 26/27 (primary VR) and got 0.37 volts, I pulled the EGT chip, still 0.37v, pulled the P259 chip, still 0.37v, pulled the secondary VR chip and still 0.37v. Secondary VR onbard wiring removed, secondary EGT wiring removed, Solder blobs removed from both of these as well, the board is back to where i started minus the p259 chip and some of the onboard wiring. I soldered on the second DPack FET at EC18 pad 12 (secondary VR)

Can i try this on the car without the P259 chip if i move the outputs to the spare FETS?

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 11:26:33 pm »
I think I have recovered :-\

Oh man how complicated was that getting the outputs over onto the spare injector FETs :o, havent got a clue how to start writing that up, suffice to say it took me two hours working it out and testing the outputs.

I am in a position to try this on the car, but i will now need to charge the battery ::)

The Genboard is still missing its P259 chip untill i can get another. The EGT chip pad that i reprted as being damaged looks like its the only one not connected to anything so it may be ok? I also found a similar problem on the secondary VR chip, a soder pad missing, again not attatched to anything? may be damaged that when i pulled it (not litteraly) from the board.

Things looking good to go for a test pending battery charge ;D

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 11:37:56 pm »
Oh and I managed to sort out the issue with the terminal program. It helps to use the commands with the correct case letters :D

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 05:35:11 pm »
Its a runner :D

Thanks for the help chaps :)

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 05:43:03 pm »
Result ;D

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 04:28:02 pm »
http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FEricN%2FFixed

Just for refference ;)

I have now soldered on new chips, What a Bas Turd that was >:( however, everything is now working again ;D Thanks for the help once again ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 04:29:53 pm by Sprocket »