Author Topic: LSU 4.9  (Read 9576 times)

Offline Mads Lund

• BHP: 4
    • VEMS member
LSU 4.9
« on: May 02, 2016, 09:57:54 pm »
Hi

I got my new box running today, that was ordered with double LSU4.9 sensors. I've done the wireing as described but the autocalibration is just showing "heating" even the sensors are hot.

I had no time for debugging tonight, so will look at it tomorrow.

Any idea's or someone with 4.9 advices ?

Br Mads

Offline MWfire

• BHP: 35
Re: LSU 4.9
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 11:34:54 am »
Config?

Offline Mads Lund

• VEMS member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 12:15:34 pm »
I did change the config file from 4.2 to 4.9, and factory calibration values seems ok.

I've used this for the wires:
http://vems.hu/vt/help/v3/v3_wideband_settings.html

Offline wersch

• BHP: 1
  • ECU installer in Sweden
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 03:59:56 pm »
Try measuring between the heater element (Pin3/4) and see if the sensor is broken.
So far i have 1 broken sensor from fabric and a friend of mine also got a broken sensor brand new.

Offline Mads Lund

• VEMS member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 10:11:21 pm »
Problem perhaps solved  ???

I changed the RI and calibration values to 165 and 55 for both sensors.
Calibration wisard - auto cal was heating the sensors for 20-30 sec and did calibrate the sensors....

but, both sensors calibrated on 68 (I did the one by one on WBO2 - 1 connector)

And the behavior was very different to what my old LSU 4.2 sensors looked like. With the 4.2 sensors did the needle flicker a bit in when calibrating. On the 4.9 did the needle stay 100% stable, and changing calibration value, moved the needle in very stable steps. Are this normal ?

Second question, what do RI actually state ? and why is 165 a lucky number, why not 168 or 162 or 180 like I hav on the 4.2 ? Any link's to some good explanation on the topic?

Br Mads

Offline MWfire

• BHP: 35
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 11:35:50 am »
Lsu 4.9 is better sensor, so readings are much stable.
But i didn't saw that low calibration(55), usually are from 162-180.

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 03:26:46 am »
Problem perhaps solved  ???

I changed the RI and calibration values to 165 and 55 for both sensors.
Calibration wisard - auto cal was heating the sensors for 20-30 sec and did calibrate the sensors....

but, both sensors calibrated on 68 (I did the one by one on WBO2 - 1 connector)

And the behavior was very different to what my old LSU 4.2 sensors looked like. With the 4.2 sensors did the needle flicker a bit in when calibrating. On the 4.9 did the needle stay 100% stable, and changing calibration value, moved the needle in very stable steps. Are this normal ?

Second question, what do RI actually state ? and why is 165 a lucky number, why not 168 or 162 or 180 like I hav on the 4.2 ? Any link's to some good explanation on the topic?

Br Mads
you havent calibrated it, that value means that sensor is not working, you can calibrated even without sensor connected with that value. something wrong with the wiring
Vems installer in Lithuania
valdas.sunokas@gmail.com

Offline Mads Lund

• VEMS member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 07:33:27 am »
The battery was a bit down on voltage (aprox 10V) After a full charge is everything fine. The sensors calibrating at 144 and 142 (spec. on the sonsors 147 and 149). I am using a small 18Ah, 600A CCA battery.

But back to the RI question, does anybody have a link for explaining how to set the correct RI ?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:38:39 pm by Mads Lund »

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
  • BHP: 22
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 09:04:23 am »
But back to the RI question, does anybody have a link for explaining how to set the correct RI ?
Hello Mads,

Have you reviewed: http://www.vems.hu/vt/help/v3/v3_wideband_settings.html ? Ri default is always 165 (for both LSU 4.2 and LSU 4.9) no need for any calibration on that.

Best regards, Dave

Offline Mads Lund

• VEMS member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 10:32:50 am »
Hi Dave

It would be helpful if this info was in the help file in vems, this is what it explains about the calibration and Ri fields, nothing regarding RI value. Directly from the help file:

Wideband Sensor Free Air Calibration
This is calibrated using the WBO2 Calibration dialog.
Second wbo2 calibration:
Save the first wbo2 calibration value.
The wbo2 sensor must connect to the first wbo2 connector and calibrate the same way as the first wbo2.
Go to Base setup/Wideband Calibration dialog.
Copy the calibrated value to the secondary wbo2 and write back the saved first wbo2 calibration value.

Another question, regarding calibration wizard for the second wideband sensor, is it correct that it have to be connected to the sensor1 port, in order to calibrate sensor 2?

This seems quite strange, first of all is it a pain to get under the car and switch the connectores. But most of all, it's meaningfull to calibrate the complete system, to get rid og tolerences in the sensor, cabeling and electronical components on the board. But by using the same port for both sensors, will the difference in the electronics and wires, be based on the sensor 1 parts. thereby not getting sensor 2 calibrated correctly. The decription in the calibration wizard don't mention anything about pluging sensor 2 into port 1 when calibrating.

And I would guess, that it's quite easy in the SW to read another port ?

I did a small test on mine, when I calibrate with both sensors connected and get value 142 and 147 in the wizard. If I disconnect sensor 1 and connect sensor 2 in port 1, can't I calibrate sensor 2, but get a calibration value of 143 for sensor 1.

Do you know exactly how the calibration wizard works now ?

Br Mads
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:36:55 am by Mads Lund »

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 11:00:35 am »
Hello Mads,

It would be helpful if this info was in the help file in vems, this is what it explains about the calibration and Ri fields, nothing regarding RI value. Directly from the help file:

Wideband Sensor Free Air Calibration
This is calibrated using the WBO2 Calibration dialog.
Second wbo2 calibration:
Save the first wbo2 calibration value.
The wbo2 sensor must connect to the first wbo2 connector and calibrate the same way as the first wbo2.
Go to Base setup/Wideband Calibration dialog.
Copy the calibrated value to the secondary wbo2 and write back the saved first wbo2 calibration value.

The information i linked to above (again: http://www.vems.hu/vt/help/v3/v3_wideband_settings.html) is in the VemsTune help, available from wideband settings dialog (press F1). The information you linked to is a subsection of ecu calibrations page (which also links to the correct wideband help in first line), indeed there is a leftover there. Thanks for pointing that out i'll update it.

Another question, regarding calibration wizard for the second wideband sensor, is it correct that it have to be connected to the sensor1 port, in order to calibrate sensor 2?
No this is no longer needed.

Do you know exactly how the calibration wizard works now ?
In VT -> Tools -> Wideband calibration:

• select the sensor you want to calibrate (either first or second).
  • make sure the sensor has power and is in free air.
  • calibrate it, press burn; it will safe to the selected calibration value (either sensor 1/2) done.
Best regards, Dave

Offline fphil

• BHP: 6
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 11:49:35 am »
Quote from: Mads Lund on May 06, 2016, 02:32:50 pm
Another question, regarding calibration wizard for the second wideband sensor, is it correct that it have to be connected to the sensor1 port, in order to calibrate sensor 2
No this is no longer needed.
Fine  :)

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 01:36:51 pm »
Help pages on web and in VT updated (run ini_update), hope this clears things up.

http://vems.hu/vt/help/v3/v3_ecu_calibration.html
http://vems.hu/vt/help/v3/v3_wideband_settings.html

Best regards, Dave

Offline Mads Lund

• VEMS member
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 11:12:10 pm »
Hi Dave

That did the trick, Thanks.

Btw, do the magic number 165 equal 2x the internal reference resistor (82,5 ohm), in that case things make a little sense (knowing it's a 8 bit processor that like single byte variables)

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 10:24:52 am »
That did the trick, Thanks.

Btw, do the magic number 165 equal 2x the internal reference resistor (82,5 ohm), in that case things make a little sense (knowing it's a 8 bit processor that like single byte variables)
Hello Mads,

No, the Ri target is the sensor temperature target for heater control, its rescaled internally per selected sensor type.
Glad to hear you got it sorted!

Best regards, Dave