Author Topic: Knock & Protected inputs  (Read 5839 times)

Offline S.g

• BHP: 0
Knock & Protected inputs
« on: December 21, 2015, 01:46:54 pm »
Hi. i never got a spec list with my ECU which was from a retailer a few years ago that i cant get in touch with. I got it with dual knock onboard, and the signals from each sensor are wired to EC18 pin 1 & 2. When i look at the view  'analog inputs all' , ch 0 and ch 5 ,which are normally EC18 pin 1 & 2, still have changing values, is this normal? The reason im asking is that i thought that when there is a dual knock chip the analogue channels on those pins arent used anymore. Knock sampling seems to work but i havent tried to calibrate it properly yet.

I have a question regarding other analogue inputs. ....1)I intend on using an input for E85 flex-fuel sensor. The wheel speed input to EC18-8 is already wired to the OEM VSS sensor.  Am i correct in saying that i need to sacrifice the Vehicle Speed Sensor to use EC18-8 for the E85 flexfuel input or have i other options??
                                                                                              2)I want to use another input for enabling launch control. Just a grounding switch, i see an unused input that has 5v and is unused. Is it safe to use it??

Is there a way to find out using my ECU's serial number to know exactly what spec my ECU was actually built to?? Or would some of you more experienced guys be able to tell me by looking at the board if i take off the ECU covers what i have as far as input protection etc????

thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 01:48:50 pm by S.g »

Offline S.g

Re: Knock & Protected inputs
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 11:47:38 pm »
would i need to send out my ECU to get the second wheel speed option? is there way to convert the freq output of the continental brnd flex fuel sensor to 0-5v ready for an analogue input on my ECU?
its an audi quattro so not really concerned about boost by gear as im not needing it at my power levels, would this be the only feature i would lose if i did away with the vehicle speed sensor thats taking up the space i need on wheelspeed1? i dont think i have a wheelspeed2 input on my ECU to wire to but is there anyway of physically/visually checking the board??

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 09:25:56 am »
Hi. i never got a spec list with my ECU which was from a retailer a few years ago that i cant get in touch with. I got it with dual knock onboard, and the signals from each sensor are wired to EC18 pin 1 & 2. When i look at the view  'analog inputs all' , ch 0 and ch 5 ,which are normally EC18 pin 1 & 2, still have changing values, is this normal? The reason im asking is that i thought that when there is a dual knock chip the analogue channels on those pins arent used anymore. Knock sampling seems to work but i havent tried to calibrate it properly yet.

I have a question regarding other analogue inputs. ....1)I intend on using an input for E85 flex-fuel sensor. The wheel speed input to EC18-8 is already wired to the OEM VSS sensor.  Am i correct in saying that i need to sacrifice the Vehicle Speed Sensor to use EC18-8 for the E85 flexfuel input or have i other options??
                                                                                              2)I want to use another input for enabling launch control. Just a grounding switch, i see an unused input that has 5v and is unused. Is it safe to use it??

Is there a way to find out using my ECU's serial number to know exactly what spec my ECU was actually built to?? Or would some of you more experienced guys be able to tell me by looking at the board if i take off the ECU covers what i have as far as input protection etc????

thanks in advance.

2. Yes
3. email info@vems.hu for the build spec of the ECU

And when using knock you won´t be using the analog channels but rather the knock inputs.

Offline gunni

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 09:27:12 am »
would i need to send out my ECU to get the second wheel speed option? is there way to convert the freq output of the continental brnd flex fuel sensor to 0-5v ready for an analogue input on my ECU?
its an audi quattro so not really concerned about boost by gear as im not needing it at my power levels, would this be the only feature i would lose if i did away with the vehicle speed sensor thats taking up the space i need on wheelspeed1? i dont think i have a wheelspeed2 input on my ECU to wire to but is there anyway of physically/visually checking the board??

You can get a DAC converter, which converts the frequency to a analog input and have that work. The general flex sensor has between 50hz and 130hz.

Offline S.g

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 07:41:39 am »
I found another forum where some guy has an Arduino UNO with lcd($30) and is using it not only to successfully convert to 0-5v signal but also to display the content. Pretty cool, might give it a try rather than taking the easy route 😋

Offline gunni

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 10:04:46 am »
Did he post the sketch to make it work?