Author Topic: leaking cylinder head  (Read 3914 times)

Offline Seight-v8

• BHP: 6
    • Members Page - Scott Richmond
leaking cylinder head
« on: August 04, 2014, 07:48:45 pm »
Hello all,

Does anyone know what effect a blown cylinder head would have on the running of the vems ecu.

Looks like its using coolant, nothing large, and leaking though the middle two cylinders on the rover v8.

I am guessing it might muck around with the lambda readings, and cause inefficient combustion somewhere along the line.

Any ideas welcome.

cheers

scott
Engine:Rover V8 4600cc
Vems Firmware:V1.2.38, GPS, SDcard, LCD & Dual lambdas, Wasted spark, 36-1 trigger, Cam Sync & Bluetooth serial.

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FScottRichmond

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: leaking cylinder head
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 09:28:48 pm »
Thats about it,

sensor readings won´t be affected other then lambda,

Offline Seight-v8

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 08:36:51 pm »
thought as much, think a compression test or leak down test might be next.

plan to replace head gaskets over the winter layup....and try again with engine next year.

regards

scott
Vems Firmware:V1.2.38, GPS, SDcard, LCD & Dual lambdas, Wasted spark, 36-1 trigger, Cam Sync & Bluetooth serial.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 06:49:31 pm »
There is one thing I can think of.  And I hope I'm completely wrong.
It's unusual for Rover v8 head gaskets to go in the centre cylinders, so I wonder if you have a slipped or porous liner :(
Either way, you'll get a diagnosis when you take the heads off.

It's what got the engine on my TVR - it starts out as coolant use and ratty lambda values (but the VEMS seems to cope with these) followed by not restarting well when hot.  Email/PM me if you want to know more about what happened to my engine.

Offline Seight-v8

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 07:56:44 pm »
Yes I just hope it's not a slipped liner too
as it's the same on both sides...Won't know till I take heads off....it's hard to tell if leak is coolant or oil/petrol from cylinders....it's definitely oily fluid and engine is loosing small amounts of coolant too.

Worst case is top hats or new cosworth block....both expensive...

Where did you get yours done?

Cheers scott

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 02:36:48 pm »
I gave the block to V8 developments because they were close to my parents.  They organised the work to be done rather than doing it themselves.  Mine was using a lot of water so hopefully yours is not the same problem.

Offline Seight-v8

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 09:23:04 pm »
I'm sure my block had blue paint in the valley, which means it has the thickest wall of the v8's.
so am hoping this isn't the problem, going to do compression test first, and a block pressure test if I take the heads off, although I won't be able to do that hot.
My block has been rebored to plus 0.02ins pistons, so new block means new pistons and a re-balance, so costs keep going up..and up...

Scott

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 11:07:10 pm »
Mine was confirmed as one of the thinnest walled, so no real surprise on a very high mileage TVR.  I too went for the oversized pistons - there's so much more choice when you do that... :D  I got a bit carried away somewhere in the build so hopefully I've ended up with a nice engine.

Offline Seight-v8

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 09:30:43 pm »
I am still confused as to what's going on here, I've done a compression test and got 205psi +/-5% on all cylinders......

Yet when the engines about 90+ degc, looks like fluid leaking from both lower edges of the head gasket.....yet compression is fine.

Not sure if head gasket is the problem here, but I am wondering if the coolant is passing up through the liners and out the head gasket....looks like a strip down is the only way I am going to tell, it is also loosing slight coolant, but cant think of any other reasons why this would happen.

Unless head is lifting at higher temps?....is this possible?.

cheers

scott

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 10:11:58 pm »
The amount of head lifting at running temp is less then minimal.

Of course it could be gasket as you do pass coolant through the gasket between head and block. might have nothing to do with your liners.