Author Topic: Can't communicate with vems.  (Read 5375 times)

Offline spoon

• BHP: 0
Can't communicate with vems.
« on: October 01, 2012, 02:39:22 pm »
Started an install a good few years ago and the stopped for various reasons. When i stopped i was at the point where i had coms and was trying to setup the base timing but had a few probs and had to move units so everything was packed up and forgotten about.
Decided to pull my finger out and try again last week.

Stuck a fresh battery on the car plugged the old laptop into the usb/serial converter ignition on and the fuel pump fires up. Try to connect to megatune and i get no coms.

I checked device manager and updated the drivers for the converter which now says its working fine device manager said it was com 18 which has no response in megatune settings.

How do these ports get asigned my diagnostics gear when plugged into the same usb pprt uses com 13 so why in the same plug are they both assigned different ports.

Out of desperation i sat and manually tested all 99 available com ports to no avail.

So the ecu is working but the coms aren't after reading some similar posts on here i decided to try a new converter cable as mine was a cheap chinese model. Replaced that with a easysync ut232r cable and its still the same.

Lost for what to do next any help greatly appreciated
cheers James

Offline spoon

• BHP: 0
Re: Can't communicate with vems.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 03:38:51 pm »
solved that issue by manually selcting an available com port in device manager and then changing in megatune.

Just got to try and get the timing sorted again.

Very difficult to check timing when you have to hold the gun and crank the ignition :)

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: Can't communicate with vems.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 08:43:17 am »
Would be worthwhile getting Vemstune setup and using that.

If you need to crank while having a timing light you would probably be best to rig up a push switch from 12v to the starter terminal on your starter so you can just crank with a push of a button.