Author Topic: GPS on second comm port  (Read 9247 times)

Offline Seight-v8

• BHP: 6
    • Members Page - Scott Richmond
GPS on second comm port
« on: May 28, 2011, 06:35:16 pm »
hello all,

Has anyone had success with this mod yet....since V1.1.89.

I am using V1.1.91 and when i've looked at the logs from the SDcard i still have no GPS info, checked all my wiring and everything looks as it should.

Dont know how to test the second comm port, if anyones got an idea that i could use to test it.

Its the last thing it need to work now, and i can finally put my dash back and do some driving.

cheers

scott
Engine:Rover V8 4600cc
Vems Firmware:V1.2.38, GPS, SDcard, LCD & Dual lambdas, Wasted spark, 36-1 trigger, Cam Sync & Bluetooth serial.

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FScottRichmond

Offline Seight-v8

Re: GPS on second comm port
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:41:07 am »
So i've used tried a terminal command on the second port, and all that happens is, i get a return of the commands i've sent.

so if i send say V i get a returned V in the recieved box.

So i if send a file, i get the info returned in the recieved box.

So i presume this second comm port is working, but if i run the engine with the GPS connected, i still dont get a GPS time stamp in the log file.

Currently i only get a triggerlog and vemslog on the sdcard, should i also get a GPS log, or should this be included in the vemstune log.

So many unaswered questions, that are driving me mad.

cheers

scott
Vems Firmware:V1.2.38, GPS, SDcard, LCD & Dual lambdas, Wasted spark, 36-1 trigger, Cam Sync & Bluetooth serial.

Offline Seight-v8

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:17:17 pm »
so more testing/trying today...

I sent a GPS log file via the terminal command to the second comm port while the engine was running.....and still no GPS info in the vemslog

so i tired using the main comm port for logging the GPS data, and still no GPS infomation in the vemslog....

So now i cant think of anything else to try.....

Could it be a problem with the firmware????...or hardware somewhere...

I've saved a GPS log from my sensor and its exactly the same as the GPS file, i got from the wiki page to used for testing, so i know there' no problem here.

I must be the only person trying to get this to work.

scott

Offline boostd audi

• BHP: 9
    • vems.live
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:22:03 pm »
i am watching this.. i have never used the gps.

i am on 1.1.91 and log with sd card so i would love to hear the solution.

sorry i couldnt provide any further insight
boost addict's Vems powered Audi VRT s2

Offline Seight-v8

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 08:12:40 pm »
cheers, any help appreciated.....i really want to use this great feature.....

So i took my vems board out the case to investigate further....looking at pcb schematic & my genboard.....i am missing R111 (1G)....on my board......so looks like no connection to the chip....so no wonder it dont work.....

Can anyone confirm i need to make this connection before i fry something i dont want to.....

I got a pic of the schematic here...

And a pic of my board with it missing.

Just to to make sure i need this before i do anything.

Can anyone confirm a working second comm port for me????..and what is required to make it work...

cheers

scott

Offline Seight-v8

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 08:18:20 pm »
well got my answer from vems today, and yes looks like it need a 4k7 resistor to make this connection, and get my second comm port working.

Hoping i can finally get this sorted and car wiring finished and car back on the road to do some proper tuning.

scott

Offline Seight-v8

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 04:58:44 pm »
well today i followed the instructions from my email to vems hq, buy fitting a 4k7 resistor where R111 is shown on the schematic diagram.

At first nothing, but i removed the earth from the ecu pin header and connected it to the other ecu earths on my engine block.

An finally i have a sdcard log with a gps time stamp....and it now works.....

After 6 months of starting this mod and waiting for firmware....and problems, i can now finish the wiring/dash and get my card out into the sun.

Looking forward to using this with logging in the future, although i will miss the next kit car show, which is a shame...but maybe next year...

scott

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 10:57:12 am »
Hi

I don't suppose you have any spare 4K7 SMD resistors (472) going spare ;D I've got my box open for the last time and getting it ready to accept this GPS, but the rescue kit doesn't have any in it, and I don't need 5000 of them I have been quoted lol.

second chanel Knock also has missing components ::)

Offline Seight-v8

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 06:56:16 pm »
sprocket,

Sure i think i have what you need, drop me private message with your address and i will send you some.

I also added the second knock channel wiring to my vems unit....although i am not to sure its working correctly...and is still turned off for the mo.

regards

scott