Author Topic: anyone EFI an aircooled turbo porsche with VEMS?  (Read 6512 times)

Offline fletcher0780

• BHP: 0
anyone EFI an aircooled turbo porsche with VEMS?
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:46:52 pm »
I've got an 87 Porsche 930 that I'd like to EFI, and VEMS seems like it might be a good fit, but I'm looking for some success stories to boost my confidence a bit with this project.

Thanks.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Re: anyone EFI an aircooled turbo porsche with VEMS?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 10:13:22 pm »
There are two in the south of Sweden (930 with 3.3l turbo) and they used custom trigger wheels and cam sync with wasted spark coils for the spark.
The trigger wheel on the crank were simply three teeth, spaced 120 degrees apart, and I don't remember the cam sync (probably where the distributor was).
With air-cooled engine you simply adjust the warmup enrichment differently, that's all.

The stock trigger is using the starter ring gear, correct?

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum

Offline fletcher0780

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 01:34:58 pm »
Mattias,

Do you have any more info on the 930? I've got a clewett 60-2 crank pulley for spark trigger, but no cam sync.

Rob,

That VW is cool, but a totally different animal having two less cyls and no boost. I'd like to find a completed 930 or 964 turbo to model mine off of.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 02:59:56 pm »
Fletcher : I'm not really sure what you're looking for, if you understand the basics of fuel injection you'll realise that these engine are like any 4-stroke engine. 
If you want to run with a 60-2 trigger, that's just fine if you do it right, i.e : wheel must be centered, correct trigger distance and properly shielded/grounded sensor.
With "missing-tooth" (60-2 wheel) you can then use any wasted spark coil packs to run the ignition, instead of wasting money on distributor parts.

What's important is that you build a solid trigger system that works with the ignition system you want to use. In order to get rid of the distributor you can either use wasted spark coils and a missing-tooth wheel, or run separate or wasted spark coils with a simple trigger on the crank (one tooth per TDC) and cam sync.

I have a configuration file of a late 1.1.7x firmware for such an engine which you can use to start yours with, but you have to setup and time the ignition because of your different trigger setup. These are the specs I have :

3.3 liter Boxer 6 cyl, ported heads, modified intake and exhaust manifold
Ignition systems uses three pcs of Mitsubishi waste spark coils.
Honeywell  GT1 sensor on the crank with three teeth, TDC after the trigger is  90 degrees (it's ok with 10 degrees more than the highest advance you want to run).
Another GT1 sensor and one tooth on the cam shaft.
Fuel injectors are low-Z with power resistors, Delphi 65lb/683cc @3 bar

The only peculiar thing with Boxer engines is that you have to use the correct firing order and cylinder numbering.  Rob pointed it out in another thread that it would also be useful to retard ignition and enrich the mixture in case the engine runs hot on the CLT sensor input, it might be available in the firmware some day.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:03:10 pm by mattias »

Offline fletcher0780

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 02:35:48 pm »
I just wanted to review a sucessful implementation on a similar car. I understand the basics, I just wanted to see how people approached the install with things like knock sensor placement, timing curve map, boost levels, or any other pertanent info. I'd love to look through your 3.3 H6 config file to familiarize myself with functionality and adjustments. I'll be using my 60-2 wheel and pickup, plus I just scored a set of GM 585 coils, brackets, and connectors for a coil near plug installation.
Thanks for your help.