Author Topic: Twin wideband control for V8 or V12?  (Read 11027 times)

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
Twin wideband control for V8 or V12?
« on: June 03, 2007, 08:12:33 am »
Hello!

Is it possible to run each cylinders bank under separate WB O2 control? V3.3 have hardware for it. But what about software/firmware?

My current brainstorming is about Jaguar XJS V12. Have two separate engines in reality. Use separate intake manifolds, separate throttle bodies connected with mechanical link, exhausts, narrow band lambdas...

What is best way to give new life for this engine using VEMS and couple of engine upgrade parts including  big valve heads, cams, collectors etc  w/ target power close as possible to 500Hp?

Gints
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 09:42:13 am by GintsK »

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Twin wideband control for V8 or V12?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 10:35:40 am »
The twin wideband hardware is there, but the software is a way off yet...
We'd need trim for individual or banks of injectors, otherwise you'd be able to see that a bank is rich, but not be able to do anything about it!

Offline GintsK

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 01:20:03 pm »
 Two Genboards may be? But then is real confusion with sensors and tuning...

Is it hard coding to make implementation of second WB O2?
Second tables as I understand are already coded-in.

???

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 02:49:44 pm »
Its one of those issues where it would be straightforward but time consuming to implement, and the development team are maxed out with firmware changes all the time.

Offline GintsK

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 04:32:53 pm »
Even V6 two lamdas are preferable IMO.

May be start with single Genboard, use its WB O2 on one bank but make monitoring on other bank using external wide band. And after tuning locate onboard sensor on leanest bank? But make preinstall for second LSU sensor hoping on suitable firmware.

Offline cliffb75

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 10
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 08:00:37 pm »
Even V6 two lamdas are preferable IMO.

May be start with single Genboard, use its WB O2 on one bank but make monitoring on other bank using external wide band. And after tuning locate onboard sensor on leanest bank? But make preinstall for second LSU sensor hoping on suitable firmware.

This really depends on your engine and exhaust setup.

If you are running a single TB and common plenum, then if the inlet manifold etc is designed right you should get even air distribution, and hence you need the same amount of fuel in each cylinder. This is the basic assumption you make on a 4 cylinder engine - you don't use 1 sensor per cylinder as you asusme they all have the same air flowing into them. So in this case you only need to correct using a single sensor, though preferably it would be in a place where it can see the gas from all cylinders.

On something like a six the point at which all the exhaust runners come together is usually close enough to the engine that you could fit a single sensor there and get reasonable response and control. On 8's and 12's there may be problems, since many run twin exhaust systems, and you can't put a sensor in a balance pipe as there is no flow (just pressure equalisation) In this case your suggestion of using one side to control and monitoing the other with an external unit would be good. Alternatively a small external board that took in the two Lambda signal voltages and averages them could work.

If the inlet manifold leads to enough of an air imbalance that you need to significanly adjust the fuelling bank to bank, then you are likely to need to alter the ignition timing bank to bank also in order to obtain the best performance.

On engine which effectively run as 2 seperate units (the old Lotus V8 turbo I believe is an example) then you do have a problem. But in this case you would also need to run a second MAP sensor etc so would basically need 2 ECU's, and hence problem solved anyway.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 10:40:18 pm »
I run with one sensor in the "odd cylinder" side of my TVR.  It runs fine as it's the easy case with a single intake plenum.  I for one am very much looking forward to the twin sensor firmware as it would be useful to keep an eye on the other cylinders for when I switch to a twin intake plenum setup (not the standard Rover twin plenum!)

Offline Agriv8

• BHP: 4
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 11:34:19 pm »
Running Single on odd side. ( but my WBO wiring is long enough to run to the Evens for checking ) not bothered to do this at the mo because I am reasnibally sure I have Low comprestion on No 8 Cylindar ( suspect a valve not seating  properly ).

Ps running single plenum.

I really will have to get arround to presure testing all 8.  ::) ::).

dnb ( sounds intresting are you going to give us a snippet )

Regards

Agriv8
'The older I get the faster I was'