Author Topic: connection problems  (Read 5722 times)

Offline AVP

• BHP: 11
connection problems
« on: October 15, 2010, 07:17:06 pm »
seem to have a bit of a problem with communications to vems. New vemstune installed and it seems that although i can connect through com 1 it seems that it does a rythmic clitch in the matrix. As if there is something on a repeat causing all gauges to go crazy and back. If i set baud rate to 19200, it doesnt connect at all.

i seem to have a similar problem with megatune but only when logging, which tends to bring lots of high readings in the datalog which last miliseconds.

i connect via a serial cable, so no serial to usb.

is there anything on the settings on the windows XP i should change to make it more stable? i thought a previous vemstune version was more stable,if i remember correctly.

still on 1.1.27 but trying to save my latest settings before moving to 1.1.81

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
Re: connection problems
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 12:23:56 am »
Is this with the engine off, just ignition on?

Try another laptop.
Try with an USB serial port adapter with latest driver.
Try with or without battery eliminator? (unplug it)
Try pulling all the fuses for the current consumers that the ECU has.
Try 9600 bps/baud setting for communication speed.

Then report back if anything removed these glitches.
A new communication model is coming for VemsTune, with CRC correction for all packets, but that can't protect you from bad hardware and radio interference, and requires latest firmware which you don't yet have.

Offline AVP

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 08:19:53 am »
this is with engine off and ignition on.

i dont have a USB adapter as this laptop has a proper serial RS232 port, which made me think that it should work properly

anything diffferent than 9600 baud rate does not work. ECU is not found if i use 19200

i dont have a battery eliminator

where are the fuses for the current consumers?(dont understand what you mean here)

i am currently trying to see if there are other software interfereing with the port in some way causing problems. If not solved, then the next step is to buy a USB adapter and try with my other laptop which has windows 7.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 11:46:08 am »
I said, try with an USB adapter, just to see if it works better than your standard serial port.

Current consumers = injectors, coils, solenoids, whatever draws current through the ECU.

Is this the same laptop that crashes when you use the log viewer ?
http://195.159.109.134/vemsuk/forum/index.php/topic,1445.0.html
If so, I would seriously look into  running some diagnostics on it (memtest86.com, prime95) so check for memory or CPU hardware issues. Google it.

My own tuning laptop is a P3 Mobil 1.5 GHz /1 GB RAM/Win XP, and it works just fine with my USB adapter (upgrading firmware and other crucial things)  and I don't have problems with it crashing when I look at datalogs.

Offline AVP

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 01:33:29 pm »
what i did today was to reduce the buffers on the device manager on the serial com port and it seems that its working ok now. It was on default which brought the buffers to it's highest.

megatune and vemstune connected today without issues, so ill keep an eye on it, and get a USB adapter to test as well.