Author Topic: wheelspeed input  (Read 10320 times)

Offline lost

• BHP: 2
wheelspeed input
« on: September 30, 2010, 11:19:28 pm »
Need some info & help with connecting wheelspeed input

In my car gearbox i all ready have stock gearbox speedo sender (square wave output 5-8v serval hundred hertz at "high speeds"(need to confirm voltage))
it has two pins one is supplied +12, second pin is signal output, and sensor gets ground from metal case. So its HALL i think.

Vems is v3.5 (has ps/2 connector) i want to "steal" speed signal from signal output wire (allready powered with +12) and add wheelspeed output to vems EC18

I know i cant send more than +5v to ps2-clk.
So what to do?

Connect wire from ps2-clk to ec18 pin8 (wheelspeed)
Add 5.1v zenner diode between ps2-clk and ps2-gnd ?
Is 4.7K ohm resistor needed between +5v and ps2-clk

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FGergelyLezsak%2FAssemblyThreePointFive

Offline lost

Re: wheelspeed input
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 01:42:38 pm »
 :-[

Offline jrussell

• VEMS USA
  • Administrator
  • BHP: 15
    • VEMS USA
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 06:16:37 am »
Just get one of these. It already has all the protection for you, and since you seem to have the PS/2 connector hanging out of the case, easy as pie to hook up.

http://shop.vems.hu/catalog/wheelspeed-cable-p-143.html
VEMS USA - Located in beautiful Burlington, Vermont
1988 RX7 Turbo

Offline ZoLtaR

• BHP: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:52:59 pm »
I will refresh this a little bit.

I have v3.6 assembled ECU with PS2 connection. I ordered also wheelspeed cable. With cable there was small diagram.

Is connection to Dsub9 on this picture correct? (red colours)

1) I don't know what voltage my abs module is giving for the original ecu. It must be 0-5v. What if the voltage is higher that 5V. Does that cable will do the job and I don't have to worry about it?
2) +5V and GND on the wheelspeed Dsub9 should be connected to EC36pin28 and 26 (GND and +5V for sensors) ?
3) How to recognize that firmware is non-PS2 ? What firmware should I use for this cable?

Thanks.

Offline ZoLtaR

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 01:17:29 pm »
Anyone will help? It's a bit urgent, I want to wire it up next days. Thanks.

Offline multiplex

• BHP: 6
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 01:04:55 am »
the power is provided by the ps/2 connection , so don't wire it in as you show there - no connections needed from EC36

input can be from hall, reed or VR so i would say its safe to through any standard wheel speed input to the converter.

most likely you will only need to wire to dsub9/9 (Signal in) and dsub9/7 (Ground)

typically during firmware download to the car, it will list non-ps2 as a selection. not all firmware has non-ps2 versions.

Offline ZoLtaR

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 06:17:57 am »
Thank you very much. Now it is a lot easier to get it how it works. It seems it is really "easy as pie to hook up" as jrussell wrote :)
Thans once again. I will wire it up and write how it works later.

Offline lost

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 11:06:14 pm »
Zoltar does it works?
Only dsub 9/9 connected to sensor 5v signal?

Can anyone post pics of vems board with wheelsped on econoseal18 ? For hall input speed sender...

Offline ZoLtaR

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 04:22:09 pm »
Hey. Have not yet installed by the end of the controller so I am unable to say whether such a connection is working. Within two to three weeks everything should be ready and then I could say that the connection signal only the signal-in is working properly.