Author Topic: Ignition Problems (we have sp0radic inverted sparks?)  (Read 7387 times)

Offline JimCoupeTQ

• BHP: 1
Ignition Problems (we have sp0radic inverted sparks?)
« on: January 21, 2010, 08:40:26 pm »
Hi everyone,

Hopefully tomorrow i will try to start my engine if my vems work.. :S

But I want to test my IGN outputs.. is there any good way to test ign ? Ive heard that theres some kind of a signal generator ?
or can i measure IGN outputs with my multimere.. i just want to set the channel high so that i can detect the signal.

// jim
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:17:15 am by JimCoupeTQ »

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: Ignition testing
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 10:43:24 pm »
Vemstune - Tools - Play trigger

Select the appropriate trigger for your engine

60-2 would be m582 for instance,
connect a headphone jack to your speaker output on the pc, then run those wires to the trigger input.
The ecu should trigger the outputs. Which you can measure with a light bulp or just do a normal spark plug test.

Offline JimCoupeTQ

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:27:05 am »
Thanks.. I tried this and seems to work..  :)

Offline JimCoupeTQ

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 09:17:45 am »
I tested the sigalgen and i managed to get a signal but it was very noisy... i tried my drill instead.. and managed to get a nice signal from  0 - 1500rpm..

I tried to get some sparks today.. but didnt get any result.. it may have been the wiring not sure..  But i have seen that ppl connects diodes to test with.. maybe ill give that a try..
do i have to connet all the diodes to se if i get a signal i is it enough to use one diode and and move it around.. how does the VEMS think in this case ?
Can Vems give you sparks just using a drill close to the VR sensor or does it need the correct signal from the trigger wheel.. im my case its a 60-2 wheel..

One more thing.. Must all coils be connected to get spark.. or is it possible to use just on at a time ??

And by the way:
I am right now using BMW 525 coils..  anyone knows if those need a signal from trigger or if the trigger need to be grounded ?

// Jim
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:28:15 am by JimCoupeTQ »

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 02:47:06 pm »
You´ll have to check 12v at the coil for sure.

you can use one diode or one coil to test each output.

Those COP´s need a ground signal, so the 3 wires on it are shield, 12v+ and signal(grounding from the ecu)

Offline JimCoupeTQ

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 06:24:27 pm »
Thank you gunni, Going down to my garage now for som tests....

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 07:00:01 am »
The terminal 'mdn' commands will be implemented as a "test wizard" in VemsTune to simplify this process.

If you have rpm (working primary trigger) but no secondary cam pulse - then you will have NO spark events at all.
The ECU must see the cam pulse or it will not sync to the engine.

If you get erratic spark, make sure the cam sync doesn't occur at the same time as the missing tooth on the primary trigger.

Offline JimCoupeTQ

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 05:54:36 pm »
Hi again.. it has been a loong night in the garage...  Me and my friend worked hard to test the ignition... Finaly we managed to get som sparks from the system.. We tried all the outputs and they seemed to work.. We did get some kind of sparks but only when the ECU was powered up. (Not cranked) The plug gave us a rain of spark eventhough the trigger wheel wasnt spinning?.. hehe and when i started my test trigger wheel on my drill.. the sparks suddenly stoped.. humm ?  Alltså...  We got sporadic ignitionsparks when key was turned on.. It feels like something is inverted ? :S

// Jim