Author Topic: 6cyl, 60-2 wasted spark.......  (Read 6351 times)

Offline The Transplanter

• BHP: 1
6cyl, 60-2 wasted spark.......
« on: December 10, 2009, 03:39:25 am »
...... VR6 Turbo :P

Hi All

Im currently running a VR6 Turbo on a modified OEM Motronic ECU with mixed results (mostly bad)  >:(

Firstly I want to ditch the motronic & MAF, and VEMs looks like the ticket :) Im looking for as much info as I can to achieve this so please bear with me.

The VR6 in question is the later 97 OBD2 setup with a stepper motor TB (non ICV). It has a  wasted coilpack with 60-2 trigger. The OEM loom/harness is not an issue for me to loose as its not in the original chassis anyway  ;)

I have some initial questions but will probably have more to come :P

• I have read that the VEMs copes with 60-2 trigger wheel, but do I use the OEM VR sensor?
  • As I said it has a single 3 x 2 wasted spark coilpack, can I keep this or would I need COP or other aftermarket coils like MSD/Accel?
  • Knock sencing, this is something that draws me to VEMs, can the 2 OEM sensors be used?
  • A lot of stand alone ecu's require the use of a non stepper type throttle body, is this also the case with VEMs, and would I need to source the earlier type TB without this?
  • The VR6 uses a MAF which I want to get rid of, what MAP sensor is recomended (drilling & tapping the manifold isnt a problem)?
  • Once its wired up, are there any VR6 base maps out there that could be used to get it running, or will autotune take care of this?
  • When I purchase the VEMs what would be the minimum, or recomendations I need for my application?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to get it clear in my head and purchase all the parts required before I pull the car off the road, so any advise at all would be very much appreciated  8)

Cheers, and I look forward to many more posts ;D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 03:42:44 am by The Transplanter »

Offline lugnuts

• BHP: 2
Re: 6cyl, 60-2 wasted spark.......
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 03:54:13 am »
Hello Transplanter,

I do VEMS exclusively for VW/Audi cars. I can supply you with what you need to get up and running quickly and easily.

Contact me at: Lugnuts9@msn.com if this is of interest to you.

Kevin

Offline The Transplanter

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 06:07:54 am »
Hello Transplanter,

I do VEMS exclusively for VW/Audi cars. I can supply you with what you need to get up and running quickly and easily.

Contact me at: Lugnuts9@msn.com if this is of interest to you.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I have seen your pnp setup before and it looks really good and a much better alternative to C2 :)

But to be honest with you, I have a workshop here in the UK doing mainly VW engine conversions and such, until now I have been using either modified chips, flash coding or std ecu's. But I want to delve more into SA for my own knowledge, as some of my work has been contracted out when I could have been doing myself! So I thought it would be a good idea to go through the whole process (of pain) on my own vehicle, this is something I have been wanting to do for a long time but have been to busy :) Plus I have another project looming which involves either a 4.2 Audi V8 or a Lexus 1UZ, but thats another story  ;)

If you have pointers on setting the VR up it would be much appreciated  :P

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 07:49:57 am »
Some answers:

• I have read that the VEMs copes with 60-2 trigger wheel, but do I use the OEM VR sensor?
- Yes.

• As I said it has a single 3 x 2 wasted spark coilpack, can I keep this or would I need COP or other aftermarket coils like MSD/Accel?
- Keep the stock one. You can ignite them using the built-in IGBTs.

• Knock sencing, this is something that draws me to VEMs, can the 2 OEM sensors be used?
- Badly documented and complex, but works. I don't consider it a selling argument.

• A lot of stand alone ecu's require the use of a non stepper type throttle body, is this also the case with VEMs, and would I need to source the earlier type TB without this?
- It has built-in stepper driver, it should be compatible (!).

• The VR6 uses a MAF which I want to get rid of, what MAP sensor is recomended (drilling & tapping the manifold isnt a problem)?
- The MAP sensor is usually built-in, I highly recommend that. You have the option of 250, 300 or 400 kPa (absolute max pressure) which means 1.5, 2 or 3 bar boost max.

• Once its wired up, are there any VR6 base maps out there that could be used to get it running, or will autotune take care of this?
- It's not far from a BMW inline 6 cyl, so there are plenty to go around. You will want to get familiar with every setting, it's not really a plug'n'play system. VemsTune incorporates a VE tune function based on collecting real time data and doing statistical analysis, it is still in beta but works. See thread in 'Software' section.

• When I purchase the VEMs what would be the minimum, or recomendations I need for my application?
- Get all injector and ignition outputs even if you only use 6 injectors and 3 IGBTs (wasted spark), the other ones can serve useful purposes (relays, boost control, warning light, ..). The LCD is useful for diagnostics without a computer. Getting the built-in SD card logging is nice too for many applications.

Offline The Transplanter

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 05:56:22 am »
Some answers:

- Yes.

- Keep the stock one. You can ignite them using the built-in IGBTs.

- Badly documented and complex, but works. I don't consider it a selling argument.

- It has built-in stepper driver, it should be compatible (!).

- The MAP sensor is usually built-in, I highly recommend that. You have the option of 250, 300 or 400 kPa (absolute max pressure) which means 1.5, 2 or 3 bar boost max.

- It's not far from a BMW inline 6 cyl, so there are plenty to go around. You will want to get familiar with every setting, it's not really a plug'n'play system. VemsTune incorporates a VE tune function based on collecting real time data and doing statistical analysis, it is still in beta but works. See thread in 'Software' section.

- Get all injector and ignition outputs even if you only use 6 injectors and 3 IGBTs (wasted spark), the other ones can serve useful purposes (relays, boost control, warning light, ..). The LCD is useful for diagnostics without a computer. Getting the built-in SD card logging is nice too for many applications.

Thanks Mattias thats useful info 8)

I will take some time to absorb it and dig around a bit so im more au fait with the whole thing :) Then I guess my next job will be to speak to Rob regarding ordering up what I need  :P