Author Topic: EGT polarity  (Read 9357 times)

Offline BigD

• BHP: 6
EGT polarity
« on: July 11, 2010, 01:53:38 pm »
Hi guys!

I need a sanity check here. I bought an EGT off the web and there are no specs for it. I thought that it'd be obvious which way it goes by what I see on the reading - some insane value one way (or 0) and a reasonable temp the other. But now I'm not so sure. One way the EGT reads 22c, the other way, 37. It's humid as a motherf... in my garage but the intake reads 25 and clt reads 26.. So it seems more logical that inside the exhaust header it'd be 22 and not 37 but... can someone confirm?

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: EGT polarity
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 02:54:25 pm »
What colour are the wires?

Offline BigD

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:39:58 pm »
The VEMS leads are the typical green and white. The sensor leads are white, one has a red pinstripe, the other blue.

Thanks Rob!

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 05:44:26 pm »
k-type wires are green and white - that's the standard.
t-type wires are red and blue and VEMS can't use them I'm afraid.

Offline BigD

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 06:57:09 pm »

Offline BigD

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 10:51:34 pm »
Just went for a small tuning session. I got 400-420c at idle, and around 650c at WOT (not redline but around 6k [red=7.5]). From what I read about t-types it should have melted down... plus the values seem fairly reasonable don't they?

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 04:16:35 am »
All I can go on is the ANSI and IEC colour codes from here: http://www.omega.co.uk/temperature/pdf/tc_colorcodes.pdf
You need to be talking to the people you bought the sensor from.

Offline BigD

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 08:55:24 am »
Thanks Rob, I will ask them. In what way would a t-type manifest itself in the readings? From what I was able to find about them, they have a limit of about 100c. And not only is VEMS getting values from mine, but the temps seem reasonable for the running conditions, which seem to be out of t-type range.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 09:35:55 am »
Each thermocouple type is going to give a different voltage at any given temperature - what its telling you may not have any relationship to anything.
How did you calibrate it?

Offline BigD

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 09:47:48 am »
I haven't calibrated it yet per se, I'm working off a friend's settings. I believe he has the webshop sensor.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 10:10:27 am »
well its worth putting the sensor in boiling water, and ice, that should give you an idea of how far off you are.

Offline BigD

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 11:48:06 am »
Just got a hold of their tech guy, he said the color standards depend on country, that for them more typical is red and yellow. But with their EGTs they use red for +ve and blue or green for -'ve. So looks like I guessed right (my 22c reading was red->green, blue->white).

I do still want to calibrate it now. Do I have to use liquid or is free air ok? It's just that I have a little hand-held thermometer that came with my thermostat but it's gas only.

A bit OT here but I don't want to start a new thread, might as well hijack my own... man I am falling more and more in love with EFI, it's so much fun to get all this going from bottom up and then configure/tune things, instead of trying to figure out which sensor in your OE setup is causing a misfire or code. My 3rd tuning attempt, engine's already feeling great (I'm blown away by the throttle response, engine's an S52 [aka M52B32] and it has better throttle response than my S38 M5 did).

I never got around to thanking you, Rob, so THANK YOU, all of your guides and various write-ups have been invaluable!

http://vimeo.com/13256849