Author Topic: Logging 0-5v signal?  (Read 5900 times)

Offline Ascona 400

• BHP: 2
Logging 0-5v signal?
« on: November 28, 2008, 04:58:58 pm »
I'm trying to find out how to logg a 0-5v analog signal with Vems but I couldn't find any thing that really made sens..
The signal that I would like to logg is from a Knock monitoring device from http://www.phormula.co.uk/ and the unit is their KS4.
It would of course be cheaper to use the onbord knock chip but when using E85 as fuel it is hard (I would say, impossible) to find knocking/pinging without some sort of monitoring device. And the Phormula KS4 works good on E85 according to a well known Swedish engine builder/tuner firm.

So, how should I connect the signal and do I need to change anything in the config for the Vems box?

Or is there some way that I can use the onbord knock chip and get the signal into the datalog?
And then not only when a knock event occur, I would rather like to have an analog signal otherwise I would be dependent of the filter information that I have to put into the config files.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Logging 0-5v signal?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 05:27:01 pm »
You can put a 0-5V feed into one of the spare Analogue inputs EC18-pin6, 12, or 16.
There are some spare analogue inputs on the PCB.

Offline Ascona 400

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 06:22:24 pm »
Is there any information on where in the log the different analog inputs will appear?

Offline lugnuts

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 11:48:03 pm »
Here are some notes I had about the Analogs:

Analog Ch5 - Use for Sensors (No Internal Pull-up)
Analog Ch6 - Use for Launch Control and WOT Shift Cut - Internal Pull-up "R85"
Analog Ch7 - Use for Launch Control and WOT Shift Cut - Internal Pull-up "R86"

Ch5 - Top Left
Ch7 - Top Right
Ch6 - Bottom Right

Ch6 = Exhaust Pressure
Ch7 = Fuel Pressure

I have some written notes about Misc 1-4 in Megatune, I'll post here when i find them.

Also, I have used an external AFR meter connected to the analog input to log.
I set the meter up for 0-5v, 10-15 AFR and when looking at the 0-5v in the log, just added an imaginary "1" to the left of the voltage, to equal the AFR. 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:51:46 pm by lugnuts »

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 12:48:09 am »
I connected a sweeping variable resistor to channel7.
I´m not sure if the internal pullup was enough but I had to add 5v to the resistor,
after that there where readings of 0-5v in the Fuel Pressure gauge.

I also found that I did infact have the resistors in place for the internal pullups, any reason why they didn´t work?

Update.

The 5v get´s divided when your using the pullup to run a analog signal in. I would be best to run a 0-5v input on it´s own, I.e use the 5v from the VEMS onto a 3 prong POT for instance for a 0-5v signal. Or a 0-5v signal from any 5v powered sensor.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 04:34:31 am by gunni »