Author Topic: Best crank/cam setup for Subaru install  (Read 13530 times)

Offline AndrewC

• BHP: 0
Best crank/cam setup for Subaru install
« on: November 07, 2010, 02:47:09 pm »

VEMS newby so please go easy on me.

I have read the Wiki page on Subaru triggers: http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=InputTrigger%2FSubaruTrigger, but have read conflicting posts on this forum about the reliability of the earlier 6+7 Subaru triggering setup which my test mule currently has fitted.

I would rather switch to either the Subaru 36-2-2-2 or a custom 36-1 wheel now if it will make my life easier whilst getting my engine up and running on VEMS.

Andrew...

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
Re: Best crank/cam setup for Subaru install
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 02:34:47 am »
Welcome Andrew.  It's been a while. 

Not tried the new firmware on my test Subaru yet, but if all goes well it will be standard Subaru 6+7.  Hope to get some time to play over my xmas holiday.  I have been led to believe the absolute latest (1.1.82 and later) firmwares should work with Subaru triggers.  I know that all of the other 1.1.xx do not work at all, while 1.0.73 works unreliably, but is so old there is no point using it.

If it doesn't work, I will be using a 4+1 solution based on cutting 2 teeth off a standard crank pulley and removing the magnets from a cam wheel.  I know this works.

Make sure the wiring is good - VEMS is not very tolerant of bad grounding or poor cable shielding.  Good luck with it all, and let me know if you want to compare notes.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 11:34:05 pm »
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I'd rather use a standard Subaru setup if possible, be it the classic 6+7 or newage 36-2-2-2, although the 4+1 would be easy enough to make.

I suspect that 'comparing notes' would be a little one sided at the moment ;)

Andrew...
`

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 12:31:46 am »
I doubt it would be one sided...  I have spent the last few years living with pushrods & no turbos ;)

Offline Denmark

• BHP: 7
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 05:32:57 pm »
6/7 is working, not perfect, but working.

There is a fault in the firmware , the trigger completely fooks up, when crossing the cranking treshold set in vemstune..so if this is set at 300rpm, the when crossing that rpm there will be all kinds of misfire, but the car will fire up and run.

/Skassa
working on the boxer

Offline GintsK

• BHP: 50
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 06:19:52 am »
If both kinds works, then better is to choose 36-2-2-2.
On multitooth gears VEMS calculates ignition timing from last possible tooth. It means more precise and more stable advance.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 11:38:43 am »
Thanks all,

Is there anyone out there using; or have experience of; the 36-2-2-2 crank wheel ?

Cheers
Andrew

Offline jrussell

• VEMS USA
  • Administrator
  • BHP: 15
    • VEMS USA
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 02:35:35 am »
Thanks all,

Is there anyone out there using; or have experience of; the 36-2-2-2 crank wheel ?

I have set up a 2004 WRX STi with VEMS (disabled variable cam control and added a cam sensor for now). It runs PERFECT and INCREDIBLE up until ~6300 rpm. It then gets a trigger error and basically acts like it's hitting the rev limiter. I'm confident I can fix this with filtering caps, but I haven't had access to the car (or much time either) to do it yet. It's a real PITA since the car is not even close to street legal, so it's pretty much impossible to test to make sure a change worked. I didn't have time to mess with it when we were at the dyno, so we just tuned up to 6300 rpm.
VEMS USA - Located in beautiful Burlington, Vermont
1988 RX7 Turbo

Offline Denmark

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 05:26:48 pm »
Thanks all,

I have set up a 2004 WRX STi with VEMS (disabled variable cam control and added a cam sensor for now). It runs PERFECT and INCREDIBLE up until ~6300 rpm. It then gets a trigger error and basically acts like it's hitting the rev limiter. I'm confident I can fix this with filtering caps, but I haven't had access to the car (or much time either) to do it yet. It's a real PITA since the car is not even close to street legal, so it's pretty much impossible to test to make sure a change worked. I didn't have time to mess with it when we were at the dyno, so we just tuned up to 6300 rpm.

Can you run the 36-2-2-2 cranktrigger without camsync, and run it wastedspark?.
Then this could be eacy to do instead of me getting a new batch of 36-1 triggerwheels made

Thanks,
Skassa
working on the boxer

Offline GintsK

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 09:24:50 am »
Thanks all,

Try to remove R55. It hardly disturbs signal at and after missing tooth. After removing signal looks as it should.

Offline Denmark

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 12:25:03 pm »
I wunder if this could be a problem with mine to ?
working on the boxer

Offline GintsK

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 04:22:42 pm »
I wunder if this could be a problem with mine to ?

on what wheel?

Offline Denmark

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 04:30:26 pm »
standard subaru 6/7

Have you run the 36-2-2-2 without camsync ?, this is probbely the cheapest option, if that works, as the wheel from subaru is very cheap

/Skassa
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:00:19 pm by Denmark »
working on the boxer