Author Topic: Configuring Vems LCD display?  (Read 7687 times)

Offline sink

• BHP: 3
Configuring Vems LCD display?
« on: November 20, 2010, 10:33:22 am »
Hi All.

Sorry for even posting this queston but I'm still very new with the hole Vems thing. Because my car is still on the stands I haven't had very much "practice" with the ECU. But a question/problem has occured. I've done some practice runs with the car and noticed then (at first, just in the garage the oxygen sensor/lambda wasn't connected) that the LCD displays the lambda value but not AFR - is it possible to change it to display AFR? I'm currently using Firmwire 1.1.74.

I've tried to search any information about this thing but nothing has shown up, just some very-very old post of older firwires. Maybe I'm not using the correct search parameters - who knows. But every bit of information would be helpful :-)

Very big thanks for reading this post to the end, or atleast reading the end :-D

Best regards, Sander from Estonia.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: Configuring Vems LCD display?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:47:38 am »
AFR is not a good accurate measurement as it does not take into an account the chemical composition of the fuel.

This will yield incorrect readings depending on the time of year and potential ethanol content of the fuel.
This is why lambda is a more accurate measurement and we like to keep things accurate.

Offline sink

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 10:59:25 am »
Ok, well, I understand now why it is done so. But now I have a new question and I'm starting to notice I'm quite young (let's use that word for now, we'll get to stupid later  ;D) I know what the AFR values should be, but not how they refer to lambda values - any help on that? :-S

In less words -> I need a chart with more detail so I can get an idea of what numbers I need the lambda to show.  I need it for my personal knowledge to get better :-) as I know when AFR is 12.0 then the car is running rich and when it's like 16.5 then it's lean. 

Offline billman

• BHP: 2

Offline sink

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 08:52:03 pm »
Thank You very-very much  :)

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 09:58:19 am »
That chart essentially shows that AFR = Lambda * 14.7.

So the way I did it was to think of the spread of acceptable AFR values - 12.5 to 14.7 - you seldom want to go leaner and only go richer for high boost safety.
12.5/14.7 = 0.85lambda
14.7/14.7 = 1.00lambda

You'll soon get used to the idea that 1.0 is needed at idle and light loads, 0.90 to 0.95 is needed as you get into the area where more power is needed and that you want to be around 8.5 for peak power and 0.8 to 0.7 for high to extreme boost.  0.7 for N2O work

Offline sink

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 08:29:21 pm »
But still, back to the main question - is it possible to change/configure the LCD display? Maybe I want it to show me the intake manifold temp rather then rpm (just an example)