Author Topic: Windows CE compatible?  (Read 7432 times)

Offline se7ensport

• BHP: 6
Windows CE compatible?
« on: September 12, 2010, 10:54:29 pm »
Hi Folks

My old laptop is packing up and I'm not too keen on using a macbook in the garage so I've been looking at netbooks.  Does anyone know if vemstune will work on Windows CE, machines running it can be had for less than £60 new!?

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Windows CE compatible?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 02:22:32 pm »
Its very doubtful that it will work.  I think they're Linux types over in Hungary so one of the Linux based netbooks might be a way forward...

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 11:14:51 pm »
Rob : VemsTune only works in Windows, so I don't get where you think Linux will work.  I'm not sure it will work with Windows CE, never really had a reason to try.

It works well enough on an Asus EEE 901 with Windows XP, that's a pretty small screen and slow cpu with little memory as standard. These days most netbooks have better specifications than that.

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 07:13:28 pm »
Linux you say...

Android is a Linux derivative and you can now get tablets for under £70; touch screen, 7" display running vemstune would be amazing.  I've been talking to a techy mate about the options to achieve this, I'll update if we have some success.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:17:08 am »
Rob : VemsTune only works in Windows, so I don't get where you think Linux will work.  I'm not sure it will work with Windows CE, never really had a reason to try.

It works well enough on an Asus EEE 901 with Windows XP, that's a pretty small screen and slow cpu with little memory as standard. These days most netbooks have better specifications than that.

Why have they written it using wxWindows?  They must have had some change of heart in Hungary and decided to embrace MS techology - in which case they'd have been better off writing it using the Windows API
So they'd better delete this page then or people will find it misleading
http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=VemsTuneLinux

Offline se7ensport

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 03:17:16 pm »
The only Linux software I could find was from 2007...

The plan is now to get it running on linux using WINE, the most likely issue will be getting it to recognise the USB device on the host machine.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 03:38:01 pm »
Don't bother with WINE, you'll be chasing compatability issues.

Offline mattias

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 41
    • Sävar Turbo Site
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 03:47:54 pm »
Instead of Wine you could use Virtualbox as it will let the USB hardware be controlled directly by the virtual host.
Installing XP on a dedicated tuning laptop would be preferrable.