Author Topic: Looking for 20V 4ag ignition map  (Read 19933 times)

Offline Grant

• BHP: 2
Looking for 20V 4ag ignition map
« on: September 21, 2009, 04:26:50 am »
Hi folks,

I have an AE86 with an ae111 blacktop engine in it.  I'm looking for an ignition map that someone has had good results with.  I won't be able to tune the car for a little while until I square away other things, but I'm driving it daily at the moment.

If you have a map you could post up, or maybe just critique mine, that would be great.  Thanks!

Hopefully that is legible...

Also, what injector sequence are you guys using?  I am currently at 4,1,2,8 on the injector output screen.

Thanks

Offline Grant

Re: Looking for 20V 4ag ignition map
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 04:27:32 am »
This is AlphaN BTW.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 06:09:40 am »
Those numbers look high for this type of engine ,
compression ratio, 5valves,

I would have guessed at at least 5deg less in the top and scale that down to the peak torque at the bottom.

Offline Grant

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 01:25:06 pm »
OK, found someone with an ae101 engine (smaller throttles, slightly less compression ratio) but he's running Speed Density.

Nonetheless, I tried to emulate his spar table.

Any thoughts on this one?

Offline gunni

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 02:33:18 pm »
That looks alot more like it.

Offline Grant

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 04:34:19 pm »
Seat of the pants says I lost a fair amount o power  :o

I need to re-check my base timing sync with a timing gun.  I just got this car running so I might be jumping ahead of my self.  Fueling is safe though.  :D

Offline Grant

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 04:35:43 pm »
Seat of the pants says I lost a fair amount o power  :o

I need to re-check my base timing sync with a timing gun.  I just got this car running so I might be jumping ahead of my self.  Fueling is safe though.  :D

Offline gunni

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 05:50:26 pm »
Dyno tuning will tell.

And base timing has got to be spot on.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 07:09:24 pm »
When you check timing make sure that you do it through the rev range - the trigger may retard through belt movement as RPM increases.

Offline Grant

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 05:32:45 am »
What do you guys think about switching to speed density? I'm not really happy with how the car is driving down low.  I think the biggest issues is throttle response down low with SD?  But I don't really know.

Offline gunni

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 06:14:34 am »
There is no such thing if you tune the accelaration enrichment right.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 03:18:39 pm »
Connect the MAP sensor to the vacuum port on the 20v's ITBs and see what you think of the signal.  If its clean enough at idle and part throttle then use SD, it doesn't tend to be stable until around 3.5K so consider AlphaN Blending.

Offline Grant

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 04:10:12 pm »
On the ae111 engine (blacktop) I think they sorta fixed the map sensor signal flakiness.  There's a pulsation dampener installed in line, which pulls from the shared mini-plenum.  Anyhow, the map signal seemed stable at idle and low rpm, but was at 65kpa at idle (mostly b/c I have a small bleed line to the non-functioning IACV valve which works fine for Alpha-n).

OK, I tried SD today, car barely ran but I don't have a proper map for SD.

Also, tried alpha-n with blending on 1.44alpha....was like a joke.  Set alpha-n to 2000 rpm, then SD from 2100 rpm on since the car wouldn't idle with just SD.  Car would buck hard during the transition period.  I feel like the blending on 1.44alpha is meant only for turbo cars with ITB's....where they would use alphaN up to a point where boost kicks in.

The only way to get proper blending with two maps like the Megasquirt guys do it is to wait for Vemstune to get the bugs ironed out?  Thanks for the help so far!

Offline PeepPaadam

• BHP: 8
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 05:19:08 pm »
On the ae111 engine (blacktop) I think they sorta fixed the map sensor signal Also, tried alpha-n with blending on 1.44alpha....was like a joke.  Set alpha-n to 2000 rpm, then SD from 2100 rpm on since the car wouldn't idle with just SD.  Car would buck hard during the transition period.  I feel like the blending on 1.44alpha is meant only for turbo cars with ITB's....where they would use alphaN up to a point where boost kicks in.

"Blending" means that you have to put rpm values the other way around. Max alpha-n rpm should be higher and min SD rpm should be lower value, this way the overlapping rpm range is the blending rpm area.

Offline Grant

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 04:53:34 am »
OK that makes sense.  But still can't let me use SD for lower RPM and alphaN for higher RPM.  This is ultimately what I'm looking for I think.