Author Topic: Ignition based timing  (Read 5299 times)

Offline AVP

• BHP: 11
Ignition based timing
« on: April 26, 2009, 04:09:14 pm »
Hello,

can someone tell me what would changing the units on the ignition based maps what the effect would be on idle?

Basically after one has done all that is possible with the VE map table for the idle banks and then would like to see what fine tuning can be done with the ignition based values, what effect would those have?

Mine has ign adv/ret. 10 deg. and rate change 10(deg/256rpm).

thanks

PS: will be installing VEMS in a week or so! on the RS2 audi 2.2 turbo engine

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: Ignition based timing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 05:25:06 pm »
Are you running a idle control valve?

Assuming that you have , then you would use that to assist the engine with coldstarting and such allowing the throttle to remain closed
as much as possible and let the idle contrl valve handle air flow into the engine. Then the idle advance and retard numbers would probably be very low - sub 5, and the rate slow as well 5-10deg/256rpm. This should provide you with rock steady idle rpm.

If you do not, the your using the throttle slightly more open when the engine is cold to maintain cold start idle and such, when the engine gets warmer that throttle opening will lead to to high of an idle, so the trick would be to allow for up to 15deg retard/advance and 20deg/256rpm change rate. This will not be as smooth as running a icv, but if adjusted right you can have very steady idle either way.
Another note is that you should be seing high avdvance numbers when cold and very low when hot. Remember these will effect you NOx and CO readings.

Offline AVP

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 12:54:34 am »
the rs2 has an idle stabilisation valve that VEMS supposedly can manipulate but it seems that it cannot do that correctly and most people dont really use it.

i will try all sorts anyway.

i do want to have good readings on idle cause i want to be able to pass emmissions.So i guess that i will have to try and see.

does the wideband setting to 1 or 1.01 or something have any meaning on idle ?

thanks

Offline PeepPaadam

• BHP: 8
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 05:07:23 pm »
VEMS can control Audi IAC valve without ANY problem, you only need to connect a diode to get better control.

Here's instructions: http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FPeterJensen%2FAudiSidle

Offline AVP

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 01:43:09 pm »
Marc has incorporated the diode in so i will have a go with that as well

thanks