Author Topic: MAT Enrichment table question  (Read 24617 times)

Offline AVP

• BHP: 11
MAT Enrichment table question
« on: April 29, 2009, 02:44:04 am »
Hello,
i have been studying the mat enrichment table that my software was sent with from Marc,and also seen the other tables that are around the forum and i have a few questions....

According to the way megatune figures out the required fuel and the IATs it appears that fueling is reversly proportional to the inlet temperature. n=PV/RT (ideal gas law). According to that we should increase the fueling if the inlet temperatures drop since cold air has more density in oxygen and therefore needs more fuel to have a good burn.On the other hand when IATs are high,the fuel should be lower...

Here is were it doesnt add up for me. IF the IATs are high (hot day, traffic, bad IC etc) VEMS is actually ordering the map through this table to make the mixture leaner. How is that going to help with the EGTs then???

Also, if the MAT table was all 100% everywhere on all banks, wouldnt the VE table and lamda table be sufficient enough to  keep the mixture controlled all the time?

Which table is the MAT enrichment predominantly affect? Is it the VE table ? is the lamda table? 

Also why is it that on higher TPS values i see that the mixture gets even leaner?(or at least below 100%) and on higher inlet temperatures??

Can someone with more knowledge explain to me that? I did understant the gas ideal law explanation,but in reality i see that this could lean to leaner mixture than what there should be. Obviously im missing something,and the map is right..but i have to understand it!

thanks
vasilis

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: MAT Enrichment table question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 03:15:16 am »
Thw MAT table is designed to over come the problem you've identified there.
I imagine it will directly effect the PW directly, the ecu works out the fuel based on the maps then adds/subtracts based on the calculated corrections (Warm-up, Accleration and now MAT enrichment).

Offline AVP

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:23:02 am »
come to think of it i have a couple of examples:

1) fast run, high rpm, TPS 80 or above, that means that the IATs should be rather low as the car is speeding and cold air is coming in,therefore the MAT table in that case should be around the 100% figure so not much change.

2) Hot day, from traffic, IAT is >60C and after a long sit on a stable line you floor it. According to your lamda value for example is set to 0.75 . BUT according to the MAT table the fuel enrichment is only 85%. SO basically you are asking the mixture to become rich, BUT the mat is trying to make it lean again... On top of that there is the VE table that will have to be adjusted first, then have to be changed when different values are entered in the other tables...

So basically there are areas that the tables contradict themselves,but i guess that is a good thing???  :-\ :-\

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 03:55:36 am »
Ah, but when you floor it you are in another place in the cell, where you can have no leaning .
Thus adjusting for each occassion.

So the MAT table would be ideal at idle and lowest throttle openings, but you would take away the leaning at higher
throttle openings so that it´s not leaning when the IAT sensor hasn´t gotten rid of the heatsoak.

Offline AVP

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 01:17:04 pm »
that was my thought.. that on 100% TBS angle the MAT enrichment on high temps should be more than 100% not less.

here is the table i have though

top right corner is lean.,should that be like that?

Offline gunni

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 02:05:26 pm »
The opposite,.

Offline AVP

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 06:58:20 pm »
so the table is wrong then?

how should it be?

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 03:15:04 am »
Enrichment works as a percentage of the fuel:

So:
80% is leaner.
100% no change.
120% is richer.

The thoughts behind the enrichment are written here:
http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage/PhatBob/FieldReport

Offline AVP

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 03:16:21 am »
yes i understand that.

my question is: why on the high TPS and high inlet temperatures, the table asks for leaner??

that is how marc makes the table!!!

Offline AVP

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 04:25:45 am »
http://195.159.109.134/vemsuk/forum/index.php/topic,691.0.html

on this post also it bears the same configuration. High TPS on high IATs, leaner mixture instead of richer... WHY?

Offline gunni

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 05:32:08 am »
Because higher MAT = less dense air, meaning less fuel is needed.

That´s the whole basis of that table is that you now have adjustability,
if you want to stray from that table wich is btw the "rightest" baseline then you can do
so by using TPS as a variable.

It´s then up to you to adjust if you NEED to adjust that table or not. You may not have detonation problems at 60C so why change it?

I´m talking about this table

Offline AVP

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 01:11:12 pm »
i see. So its trial and error then.

another thing is that on high rpm it is difficult to notice knocks. Marc has the knocking sensitivity enabled. If there are any knocks,would that be recorded on datalogging as well?

Offline z0tya

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 02:46:48 pm »
The knock sensing function is hard to tune and not give reliable result I think.
I hope will be some improvement in this area some time.

Offline cliffb75

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 10
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 01:45:33 am »
Hello,

Hello!

i have been studying the mat enrichment table that my software was sent with from Marc,and also seen the other tables that are around the forum and i have a few questions....

According to the way megatune figures out the required fuel and the IATs it appears that fueling is reversly proportional to the inlet temperature. n=PV/RT (ideal gas law). According to that we should increase the fueling if the inlet temperatures drop since cold air has more density in oxygen and therefore needs more fuel to have a good burn.On the other hand when IATs are high,the fuel should be lower...

Correct. The basic function of MAT correction is to adjust the fuelling for air density such that the combustion lambda remains constant, at whatever value you have tuned it to in the main VE MAP. (Note here that if the VE map is correct, no control input should be required from the lambda control to achieve the value in the target lambda map)

Here is were it doesnt add up for me. IF the IATs are high (hot day, traffic, bad IC etc) VEMS is actually ordering the map through this table to make the mixture leaner. How is that going to help with the EGTs then???

Its not. Thats a slightly different question - I'll get to it in a minute (keep reading)

Also, if the MAT table was all 100% everywhere on all banks, wouldnt the VE table and lamda table be sufficient enough to  keep the mixture controlled all the time?

With closed loop wideband control then yes, the lambda would remain under control, but only due to a control input. The ideal is always to mimimise the required control, hence an open loop correction to the VE table for MAT is nice to have. For those without wideband closed loop, MAT compensation is essential if running rich at high temps and lean at low temps is to be avoided

Which table is the MAT enrichment predominantly affect? Is it the VE table ? is the lamda table? 

Both (if its implemented correctly) - again, keep reading....

Also why is it that on higher TPS values i see that the mixture gets even leaner?(or at least below 100%) and on higher inlet temperatures??

Can someone with more knowledge explain to me that? I did understant the gas ideal law explanation,but in reality i see that this could lean to leaner mixture than what there should be. Obviously im missing something,and the map is right..but i have to understand it!

Ah, that is where it gets a bit trickier.

Actually, you have some additional functionality here with a 2 axis MAP to adjust. You got the idea when you mentioned EGT's earlier in your post. In reality there are 2 things to consider - EGT's and Knock. In many ways the two are inter-related, since when you get knock you will need to retard the ignition, leading to higher EGT's requiring additional fuelling.

So, lets start with knock, or at least ignition retard with MAT. If you have this mapped then you will see an increase in EGT's. If this were to cause you to exceed your EGT limit then you want to add some fuel.

Additonally, if you are entering a region where knock is an issue, then richening the mixture will help suppress the knock, so even if ignition retard with MAT is not implemented you may have an advantage by richening the mixture anyway.

At this point, we need to go back to the closed loop issue. If you are running closed loop wideband control, then increasing the VE or MAT enrich table isn't going to do anything - the controller will simply take the additional feed forward fuel back out again. Therefore not only do you need to add MAT enrichment to the VE part as currently implemented, but also to the lambda target part in a matching amount - after all, it is engine lambda that actually determines the combustion temperture - injection pulsewidth is simply how this is achieved. As usual, forgive me Rob if I'm not up to speed, but I'm assuming there isn't a second MAT enrich table that adjusts target lambda?

For those running open loop, they can use the current table to do what I think you are thinking, which is to compensate air density reductions (i.e. go leaner) at lower loads, but then de-compensate again (i.e. go richer) as load increases and knock and/or EGT's become an issue.

Of course those running closed loop can also chose to go open loop under higher load conditions - but if they tend to rely on the closd loop controller to keep everything in check they could be in with a nasty surprise if they simply switch things off....

On the other hand, if you have an engine that doesn't knock under any conditions, then there is no need to retard the spark, and therefore EGT's won't increase significantly, and then therefore no need to increase the fuelling for the higher loads. This is however an unlikely scenario.

Anyway, I hope that starts to explain it - basically your question is well founded, and you have grasped a basic issue of what happens when engines get hot and how to compensate for it. The important bit is that each engine is different, so the basic values in the table give you a starting point based on the change with air density - its up to you to decide if your engine needs to have a modified high load line to de-compensate for its particular problems, and by how much, but this will be in conjuction with values in other maps, and the whole lt will be based on engine parameter such as knock sensitivity and EGT limits. This will be done to a large extent by trial and error, and that my friend is called calibration (or mapping if we are being 'tuner')

thanks
vasilis

You're welcome  :)

Offline AVP

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 03:04:52 am »
thanks for the reply.

I will be using a wide band, hence a closed loop. SO that means that basically the lamda value will be doing most of the work and IF i dont want the MAT table to interfere at all i should keep the values at 100%?

Otherwise from what i understand from your explanations is that most likely the values on the MAT table on the high TPS values should be wanting to enrichen the mixture to avoid knock and ignition retard and hence keep EGTs low as well.

I have an ignition map which works on the car and it is quite aggresive to be honest(at least that is what everyone who has seen it says) but this map was on the motronic map i have which uses 16x16 tables i think and also it is TPS based rather than kPa . I may play it safe for starters and reduce the values on high rpm for now!!

SO im hoping that there will be no knock issues to begin with,as i have no problems so far with the car anyway, BUT on the other hand i dont have all motronic maps from the eproms so therefore im not sure how things are compensated in different tables.

I do have a small 2 line table that tells the ignition retard vs IATs though. How can i do that with VEMS? Is that why the MAT table is there for then?