Author Topic: VEMS Tune  (Read 16201 times)

Offline irishtwincam

• BHP: 9
Re: VEMS Tune
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 03:42:13 am »
A set of UI requirements needs to be specificed by a professional tuner.
Or ask a tuner about the best bits and worst bits of OMEX, Emererald, MOTEC, AEM Tuning Software.
Take these use cases and make them a reality.

Pot tuning would be a plus I heard from one tuner who tunes many MBE ignition systems for CARB engines and OMEX for EFI.
Im sure theres a usb volume/gain controller out there with two buttons that could be used for pot-tuning with VEMS!

The analogy here is that on a laptop while keyboard and touchpad is useable, a mouse works best.
Similarly for tuning ECUs, mouse, keyboard and hotkeys are good, but a pot-box would be best!

It would also require duel view of fuel and spark side by side, or, top/bottom.
Turn knob one up or down alters VE within maximum bounds, hitting the button WRITES to memory.
If you move cursor out of the box after altering but without setting it via the button,
the value remains unchanged in memory and resets on screen when moving away.

The second knob and button act in the same way but for spark table.

This is an example of the beginnig of the development from the top level that needs to be taken care of.
Software crashes and ECU crashes need to be fixed, they should never happen!

Need to control firmware releases better and test fully with a set revision of UI.
Once this is at excellent quality level, release as stable.

Then work on next agreed set of firmware features and related testing.
Try to make it backward compatible, or allow for future proofing when designing.

Once the UI is useable and intuitive and tested safely, yuo can think abotu features.
Idle control algorithms like PowerFC etc.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:45:02 am by irishtwincam »

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 04:55:15 am »
The requirements have been written - about 3 years ago...

Nothing has happened.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 07:19:14 pm »
Just downloaded the latest version and
now the "firmware web tool"
doesn´t crash the program.

The overall view needs fixing though.

#1.
This should be a full screen program, nobody needs to see their desktop while tuning.
The progam itself get´s hidden behind tuning gauges or tables, which is also rather bad.
And the white part of the main program window should house the gauges and tables and not a "log" of events
occuring.

#2.
Naming conventions need to be fixed and
I do not have a injector 0-5 on a 6cyl engine, but I do have from 1-6.
This hex and 1 0  stuff just has to go from the entire user interface. I don´t care if it´s there in the background but it should not be in the user interface.

#3.
When firmware is updated so that a setting basically get´s outdated it should be dropped from the firmware and user interface.
Such as the Cold Crank PW and Crank Warm PW, since there is a 2d table that handles this now this should be automatically dropped.

#4.
Same with the accelaration enrichment , in that window the bins should be dropped in favour of the 2d maps, while keeping the
"Settings" part or combine that with another window.

#5.
Config switch should be able to be done with the software running, turning it off and on again to work on the second config is just
ridiculous. basically the software would be checking the status of the switch often, so when it flips, it knows to read the complete config from the unit. A minor delay would be alright. If you have a table open it would just update in the process.

#6.
Single column multi row windows. They are useless.
Why not have a window with many columns of settings ??
This could tie all the outputs together into a single window allowing for a quick setting up.
here is a random picture I found on the internet that shows this.

Tuning user interface is about being productive and efficient. At the moment
you could have the best firmware in the world but it would be useless without an updated and properly working software.
I personally could live without firmware updates for a good while if the software get´s sorted.

Custom variable gauges would be excellent.
Such as showing the difference between target lambda and actual lambda. Showing you if your tuning efforts are off
and by how much. I´ve created this in the Megalogviewer and use that with another custom variable that calculates the new VE
for me based on any Gego correction as well. Making initial tuning a breeze. Coupled with 3d tuning and a 20-250kpa table is done rather quickly. History graph gauge with more then one input would also be EXCELLENT.