Author Topic: Any possibility to use VR sensors as wheel speed inputs?  (Read 11681 times)

Offline PeepPaadam

• BHP: 8
Any possibility to use VR sensors as wheel speed inputs?
« on: January 28, 2009, 03:10:16 pm »
Since most cars have VR sensors for ABS, is it possible to use those? As I understand it requires additional circuitry (possibly with LM1815 or the like?).

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: Any possibility to use VR sensors as wheel speed inputs?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:53:34 pm »
No reason why you couldn't make up a seperate LM1815 circuit and feed that into the keyboard input that Sambas is using for wheel speed input.

Rob

Offline PeepPaadam

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 04:26:59 pm »
I have a small problem: I don't know how to make that circuit  :-\ It would be awesome if anyone could draw a schematic or something and I could try it? Presuming it won't be helluva complicated which would defeat the purpose (i.e. vs installing a separate HALL sensor somewhere in the drivetrain).

Offline Sprockets

• BHP: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 04:37:46 pm »
Just one thing, what is the intention for this data?  Purely datalogging?  If so, rob is right.  There is a non official firmware (if any of them actually ARE official lol) to do this which you will have to be mailed as I think it isn't public domain.

As for the circuit, a generic LM1815 isn't difficult to construct using a DIP part and a handful of discrete parts on some breadboard.  There are examples in the datasheet, but I am not saying to much more as I would only be giving bad info.

There is a lot of info about on this somewhere.  Either here or the dreaded wiki.  I remember reading about it.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing! :)

-Gavin

*EDIT*  See what happens when I type about stuff I have no idea about.  The firmware is in the software forum, samabas has it in the 1.1.47 experimental link, and looks like MWFire has it working...... I'm gonna top up on coffee!  Sorry for the mis information! */EDIT*
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:44:12 pm by Sprockets »

Offline PeepPaadam

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 04:44:49 pm »
Yeah, I'm aware with the PS2 input otpion but it only accepts the square wave HALL signal, not VR sensor. I'd like to make some circuit that let's me condition VR signal to square wave signal.

On a race-car wheel speed input is very beneficial and let's you see wheel-spin and corner speeds in turns.

Offline Sprockets

• BHP: 5
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 05:05:47 pm »
OK, I see now.  Give me a bit, I have a basic LM1815 circuit here somewhere that will do what you want.  I was using it for a little side project.  Lemme see if i can put it on a seperate page for ya.

-Gavin

*EDIT* http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/10884/oaWwL3PapK9b9zHF/LM1815_1.PDF  That is a basic circuit which should do what you need.  You may need to play with the R values a bit as this was designed to read from a slightly differnt source, and sorry about the scruffy layout, was literally ripped from a design I'm still tidying */EDIT*
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:15:56 pm by Sprockets »

Offline MWfire

• BHP: 35
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 07:08:39 pm »
Yes, you can use VR sensor from abs. But abs sensor(on my car) has to many impulses per 1 rotate of wheel. So you will need diveder(like CD4040 or many othre). Find out have many pulses give abs per wheel rotate and i will draw schematic.
Here is log from my car(without turbo for now:(

Offline PeepPaadam

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 03:46:39 am »

*EDIT* http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/10884/oaWwL3PapK9b9zHF/LM1815_1.PDF  That is a basic circuit which should do what you need.  You may need to play with the R values a bit as this was designed to read from a slightly differnt source, and sorry about the scruffy layout, was literally ripped from a design I'm still tidying */EDIT*

I can't download it, it gives me error message saying I have to request new download code??

MWfire, my car has only three slots for speed sensor but my friends 911 Carrera has 42 IIRC.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:48:46 am by PeepPaadam »

Offline MWfire

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 02:30:22 am »
I will make schematic. Here is example of speedsonsor(road was wet:(
http://www.vems.hu/files/DamirMuha/1.1.47/speedsensor/datalog200901291852.xls
And i will try to make new vems.ini for speed sensor(gear) boost settings.

Offline MWfire

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 04:50:18 pm »

Values in brackets are pin numbers for ps/2 connector

This is basically VR input divided by 8. Maximum pulses for vems at 100km/h is 255 per 1 second.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 11:41:09 pm by MWfire »

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 07:11:35 pm »
Great a working design.

I would now like to see this for sale in the webshop or something.
Maybe as little box with PS2 connectors on both sides?

Offline MWfire

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 07:27:37 pm »
I didn't try thise design yet, but i think it works.

Offline PeepPaadam

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 08:28:45 pm »
THANK YOU!!!

I'll try to convince my friend to make a PCB desing for it in Eagle or the like soon.