Author Topic: black goo in map sensor tube  (Read 10791 times)

Offline smurfinator

• BHP: -20
black goo in map sensor tube
« on: January 08, 2009, 10:02:10 pm »
I've just had my vems apart and there is black goo in the tube, right up against the nipple of the MAP sensor itself (inside the case).

Should I be concerned?  There is no way to put the VEMS uphill from the throttle body in the car, so this will not be preventable.  Any kind of goo trap will act as a pressure sink and slow down the response of the sensor, correct?

(goes to look at new toyotas...)
Audi ABZ 4.2 V8 in 1993 90 quattro
TTV 60-2 flywheel and cam sync
firmware: 1.2.20

Smurf blue (BMW Laguna Seca), hence the name!

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
Re: black goo in map sensor tube
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 10:15:34 pm »
get one of those small fuel filter things and tap into the vacuum hose,
If you can measure changes in map speed I´ll be surprised to say the least.

Offline lugnuts

• BHP: 2
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 11:22:56 pm »
<<< There is no way to put the VEMS uphill from the throttle body in the car, so this will not be preventable.  Any kind of goo trap will act as a pressure sink and slow down the response of the sensor, correct? >>>

Failing any uphill mounting, you should at least have the MAP hose go "Low" then "High" as it goes into the VEMS. This way, if there is moisture in the hose, at least it will not be allowed to rest against/inside the MAP sensor.
Where is your ECU mounted?

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 01:55:13 pm »
I've just had my vems apart and there is black goo in the tube, right up against the nipple of the MAP sensor itself (inside the case).

Should I be concerned?  There is no way to put the VEMS uphill from the throttle body in the car, so this will not be preventable.  Any kind of goo trap will act as a pressure sink and slow down the response of the sensor, correct?

I would be concerned, but not for the VEMS but for the filth that you engine is exhaling...

This talk of new Toyotas is morally wrong you know ;)

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:17:38 pm »
The old SPi systems Rover used suffered problems with liquid logging of the MAP sensor. Its still happens. Rover fitted a fuel/oil trap just after the take off on the manifold, before it went off to the ECU. The symptoms of liquid logging on these cars were hesitaion on acceleration usualy accompanied with a back fire into the inlet/ throttle body and violent bucking of the engine/ car. Some times you could drive through it, but most of the time it happened under mild to hard acceleration.

Rover released a service bullitin suggesting that the ECU is removed from the car, a piece of cotton wool wound small enough to insert into the pnuematic port for the MAP sensor, and then place the whole thing in a warm placde overnight with the pnuematic port pointing downwards. This was to aid wicking the fuel/ oil out of the MAP sensor. They also suggested to blow through all the vacuum lines and fuel trap to ensure they were also clear.

On wet manifold set ups, this is going to be unavoidable, and the fitting of a trap, and some decent clear hose between the trap and the ECU (make sure it is good for vacuum!!!!). That makes it easier to keep an eye on it ;) Thats an old Mighty Minis racers trick :D

http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=pb&pid=37835&title=FUEL%20TRAP%20INTAKE%20FOR%20SING...

Offline Denmark

• BHP: 7
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 11:09:02 pm »
Yep,
And this makes it a bit strange that when you buy a Map sensor from the VEMS shop , nad you mount that, the VEMS sticker is upside down, like they dont know , what way it fits....

Agh, that was nice to get of my cheast  :)

/Skassa
working on the boxer

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 12:06:02 am »
On wet manifold set ups, this is going to be unavoidable, and the fitting of a trap, and some decent clear hose between the trap and the ECU (make sure it is good for vacuum!!!!). That makes it easier to keep an eye on it ;) Thats an old Mighty Minis racers trick :D

http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=pb&pid=37835&title=FUEL%20TRAP%20INTAKE%20FOR%20SING...

Nice link there!

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 03:58:43 am »
Genuine rover part, probibly available from the few Rover spares suppliers knocking about ;) Or just find any Rover 111, 114, 214, with an SPi manifold down your local scrapy. They are tucked away at the back, inside the airbox of all places. You wont find any Mini SPi's at the scrapy, if you do, you are a lucky man ;D

I have a couple spare I think ;)

Offline smurfinator

• BHP: -20
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 12:37:23 pm »

I would be concerned, but not for the VEMS but for the filth that you engine is exhaling...

This talk of new Toyotas is morally wrong you know ;)

Well it's a junkyard motor and I know the valve guides are somewhat shagged due to oil smoke on startup.  There seems to be quite a bit of blowby as well, which is routed through the intake, of course.  There must be something about the placement of that particular vacuum port that the oil mist in the intake stream is condensing heavily and wicking up the tube.  It's the teflon-ish tube from the VEMS shop, BTW.

I could never drive a toyota now.  The sensation of being kicked down the road by this beast is simply too addictive.  Mind you, I'm at 5500 feet altitude and the engine is bone-luxury-car-stock.  Bit of head work and a move back to sea level (planned) will give me another 80 bhp in theory.  Blimey!

Anyway, I'll fiddle up some sort of trap, but... ick.
Audi ABZ 4.2 V8 in 1993 90 quattro
TTV 60-2 flywheel and cam sync
firmware: 1.2.20

Smurf blue (BMW Laguna Seca), hence the name!