Author Topic: VW Splitscreen Camper 2270 Type 4 VEMS  (Read 52437 times)

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: VW Splitscreen Camper 2270 Type 4 VEMS
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2010, 06:51:54 am »
I'm not sure you'll get anywhere by adjusting the injection sequence until the injection timing feature is developed. You'll pretty much always be injecting at the wrong time.

Injection timing, which enables full sequential injection, is coming in firmware 1.1.80 very soon, be on the lookout.

Not true, I've set up a number of cars on 36-1 that have benefited from having the sequence adjusted, the HC, CO and NO values all changed dramatically although the lambda stayed exactly the same.  If you get access to a decent gas analyser you can clean up idle further by adjusting the inj_open value.

Offline paul_f

• BHP: 8
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2010, 09:15:58 am »
Well have got the MOT ;D

I had to half the req fuel to get a decent idle (I think not having the fuel pressure regulator referenced to MAP means that more fuel is going in than should be), but am working my way up the map

On the way back I broke down pulling up to a roundabout.  Due to all the threads about broken components I thought something had failed in the ECU, but I had spark and fuel.  After 5 minutes it restarted again (it is difficult to take out the plugs, intake manifolds have to be removed)

I think it is due to the accel enrichment soaking the plugs, as it happened again putting the bus back into the garage.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2010, 03:38:27 pm »
Set the accel enrichment values to zero while you tune the fuel, let the RPM build without stabbing the throttle.
This will let you tune the engine's VE.
Once thats sorted then its time to start accel enrichment tuning.

Offline paul_f

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2010, 06:35:07 pm »
congrats on the success   :)

its amazing how well these motors run on EFI - i recently finished up my 1835cc with COP's & ITB's, although its running on an old megasquirt box  :-X

Cheers.  What COP's are you running?  Be interested to hear how reliable they are

Offline paul_f

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2010, 06:41:36 pm »
Set the accel enrichment values to zero while you tune the fuel, let the RPM build without stabbing the throttle.
This will let you tune the engine's VE.
Once thats sorted then its time to start accel enrichment tuning.

Good idea, I'll do that tomorrow.

I need to rewrap the header where I removed it as it was getting scruffy, and also move the IAT sensor.

I put it in the ITG filter baseplates which I have sitting 80mm proud of the throttle bodies (ie halfway up the 120mm trumpets) but it was reading 40degC.  I think I will try hanging it from the roof of the engine bay outside the filters so that it reads the temperature of the air going into the filters.  Otherwise I will put it in front of the cooling fan as that is moving the most amount of air in the engine bay

Offline paul_f

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2010, 10:21:15 am »
Well it wouldn't start today.  I put it back to an old map and noticed the starting fueling was 11ms not 5.5ms.

When I had halved the req fuel, I didn't double the cranking VE :o  Its wierd how sometimes it started fine, I guess it cooled down enough to get some cold start enrichment.

The IAT sensor is still reading warm sitting at the top of the engine bay.  I think I am going to have to find a shorter sensor and drill and tap one of the trumpets and fit it into that.  Any one got any recommendations for sensors?

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2010, 02:40:22 pm »
You can use a straight thermistor or one of the OEM ones from the web shop.

Are you aiming to get to Bug Jam.

Offline paul_f

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2010, 03:38:37 pm »
I have one of the oem ones from the webshop, but it is a bit too long, will take quite a bit of area of the trumpet. ( and might even touch the other side?)

Having a look around I think I will try a Bosch 0 280 130 039 - this is much shorter and I should be able to get it down the road at the Bosch service centre tomorrow

http://apps.bosch.com.au/motorsport/downloads/sensors_temperature.pdf

Next weekend is Bugjam, but it is also Le Bug Show at Spa Franchorchamps which is much cheaper to get into and lots more fun (only VWs unlike Bugjam which last time I went was half full of transits!) - so I am hoping to go to that in the bus.  Its not much further than Bugjam.

Offline paul_f

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2010, 03:27:26 am »
Well tune by analysis doesn't seem to work on Vemstune with AlphaN, the Y axis in there is in Kpa

However by taking the log file and exporting it to CSV, then scaling TPS by (255/100) I get TPS in 0-255 which works in Megalogviewer (MLV uses TP as a 0-255,  whereas the log files from Vemstune are in %)

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2010, 03:43:57 am »
Theres much better food and beer in Belgium.  I prefer European car events to British only ones.

Offline paul_f

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2010, 03:56:57 am »
Yes we find they are much better as well!  In a month we are going to the Scandanavian Cal Look Classic in Oslo,Norway.   Ferry up there and drive back! ;D

Hoping for a good fuel map by the time we are back from Spa, and then fit a dyno session in between to sort out the timing (currently just replicated a mechanical advance only dizzy)

Offline paul_f

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2010, 05:02:57 am »
Renting the dyno this afternoon ;D

Filled up with 97RON petrol, I thought it would be better to map it on the worst case fuel as opposed to using 98RON shell or 99RON Tesco fuel

Offline paul_f

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2010, 02:45:26 am »
It went pretty well, I got 173bhp@6700 at the flywheel ;D

The fuelling isn't good enough yet, but during a power curve the breather fitting snapped off as the 3/4" oil hose I'd used was too stiff and the fan belt flipped upside down so called it a day.

Now I can use all throttle positions whilst logging and get the fuelling closer. I'd logged the power curve and then used megalogviewer autotune - it suggest some sensible VE changes so I will give that a go driving up the hill.

Fitted the SDcard logger so will see if that works.

And need to look out for new injectors as mine got up to 98% at 7200 rpm (although it was running way too rich there) as hopefully with the ratio rockers I have waiting to go on there will be a bit more power.  Currently have 263cc/min ones.  Do the shorter pico type injectors work better than the older bosch type?

Offline paul_f

« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2010, 02:12:07 pm »
I'm back after 3212miles with no problems with the Vems or any of the injection!

The filters got very clogged with some of the dirt roads in Norway which reduced fuel consumption compared to earlier in the trip, and the bus is now running quite badly but it needs the valves adjusting etc.

Found I had to richen up and reduce the timing as some of the areas around 2500rpm, 20-35% pedal as I was getting some knock when the road incline increased so increasing load - I guess this is a downside of running alphaN?

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2010, 09:38:44 pm »
There is no added load on the engine if the airflow doesn´t change.
so you must have had to put your foot down a bit more then on a straight road.