Author Topic: Wideband Setup Problem  (Read 10117 times)

Offline bcool

• BHP: 0
Wideband Setup Problem
« on: March 15, 2008, 02:35:55 am »
Im trying to get this wideband installed and calibrated and something kinda strange is happening I'm to the step of the calibration itself and whenever i turn on the key my injector(s) start going crazy; i can hear them clikcing about 10 times a second or so.(My fuel system pressure is at 0 so i dont have to worry about flooding the motor). It only happens when the wideband sensor itself if plugged in. I just checked and everything looks good wiring wise to the ECU. Is there an interference somehow with driver outputs?

Also i swear i can hear a whining noise from the VEMS box itself.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
Re: Wideband Setup Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 01:30:11 pm »
whining noise from the VEMS is fairly normal - it's a bit of electrical noise from the heater FET.

It is not normal for the injectors to switch like that!  Assuming your wiring is all ok, I would suggest there may some noise getting into your trigger, or you have a problem in your config that doesn't show up in Megatune

Offline bcool

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 08:44:38 pm »
Yeah i played with it a bit. when i first turn on the ecu the injectors just have a constant buzz to them and it doesnt register on the Tach in megatune. then about 5 seconds later it will flash up 3000 RPM and pulse like that for a while. It ended up blowing my coil fuse.  My trigger lead is seperated from the rest of the harness right now so i dont think there should be that much noise going through the wiring itself. Heres my config files.

This is a bit cleane

http://myweb.cableone.net/mjbless/mcdfeb08.txt
http://myweb.cableone.net/mjbless/mctfeb08.txt

^ Those are minus my wideband calibrations.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 12:15:27 am »
I doubt the ECU is damaged - there's little evidence to suggest so at this point.  Noise in a circuit can do incredible things - I suspect you might have a ground problem.

Offline bcool

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 05:07:27 am »
Any ideas for finding the source of the issue?

On a lighter note i hit full boost tonight for the first time Wooooo
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 05:48:44 pm by bcool »

Offline bcool

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 07:44:49 am »
My grounding situation is pretty solid. Did anybody see anything goofy in my configurations?

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 09:46:30 am »
I am missing what you are attempting to achieve here.  You have a VEMS and you're trying to connect a VEMS wideband gauge?
Please give details and I'll see how I can help.

Offline bcool

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 05:47:34 pm »
No I'm trying to get the VEMS to connect with the wideband sensor so that i can start using VELearn. I haven't had one installed up until this point. I'd like to get my fine tuning done now and this is the only thing in my way.

Offline bcool

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 05:49:38 pm »
Oh man i feel like an idiot. This section is for just the wideband gauge itself. Uhhhh maybe you can get this moved to a more suitable area rob.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 06:00:42 pm »
Never use VE learn

Tune the thing using the wideband feedback.

I've never seen any noise issues like this before, is the wideband ever getting to heat up?

Rob

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 06:24:08 pm »
VE learn is silly - it can't possibly use enough information to set the VE table.  You're better off recording lots of datalogs and using some kind of data mining technique to average the errors for each bin... 

Is there power to the wideband sensor?  I found this can make everything behave in silly ways once.

Offline bcool

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 07:53:05 pm »
Never use VE learn

Tune the thing using the wideband feedback.

I've never seen any noise issues like this before, is the wideband ever getting to heat up?

Rob

Wideband feedback is what i should have said. Man I'm on a roll with this thread, hah....and I'm not sure if the wideband is getting fully warmed up. I didnt want to leave it on any longer. I'll play around with it a bit again today and retest some things and, yes, I am getting power to Pin 3 on the wideband. I'm not around the car at the moment but i was also going to double check the plug pin orientation. I went off the numbers listed on the back of the plug itself when i wired it. It probably wouldn't be any different but i'll double check anyways.