Author Topic: VEMS forgetting its settings  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Chris Martens

• BHP: 1
VEMS forgetting its settings
« on: January 04, 2008, 04:33:53 pm »
hi,

I'm new to this forum, so hello to everybody.  :-*

I own an old CIS controlled strangled Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 and am very interested in the possible gains of converting to a current stand alone system like VEMS or similar. Since Cosworth made the head for Mercedes some 25 years ago, that little engine should run as it was intended to...

Question: Is it a common or at least known problem, that the VEMS looses it's settings when the car is not touched over let's say a week or so?

There are rumors in the Mercedes 190 discussion boards (even at mercedes190.co.uk), that this happened to at least three people...

regards,
Christian

Offline jrussell

• VEMS USA
  • Administrator
  • BHP: 15
    • VEMS USA
Re: VEMS forgetting its settings
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 06:25:03 pm »
That engine works VERY well with VEMS.

We've never had a proper problem report about the unit loosing it's settings and nobody I've talked to (dozens of owners) has ever had this problem. I can think of a couple of scenarios mostly stemming from not saving the settings before shutting off the unit. My personal car sits for many months without being used (some years with a battery, some years without a battery in it) and I've not ever had a hint of a problem.

VEMS USA - Located in beautiful Burlington, Vermont
1988 RX7 Turbo

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 06:47:11 pm »
The settings are stored in EEPROM, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEPROM it cannot loose its settings unless something overwrites them or in the case of a catastrophic failure.
If the people who've had a problem can provide the serial numbers if their systems we can look into this further.
I've got a test unit that's over 3 years old that sits in the garage without any power for months and there has never once been an issue with settings or firmware.

Rob

Offline Chris Martens

• BHP: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 09:44:13 am »
thank you very much.

The settings are stored in EEPROM, ... it cannot loose its settings unless...

I was assuming this.
Since I've done computer assistance for some years now, I know systems where something is wrong / obviously has been changed, but the user hasn't done nothing to it. Sure. :)

If the people who've had a problem can provide the serial numbers if their systems we can look into this further.

Thanks for that offer, I'll ask, whether they are still interested.

regards,
Christian