Technical > Wiring & Sensors

BMW tachometer

<< < (3/3)

rob@vems.co.uk:

--- Quote from: antonch on January 08, 2008, 04:30:46 am ---Rob, your values worked out of the box, didn't have to modify/tune anything. Very odd how you knew them :)

--- End quote ---

They're the ones I use on the Nissan tachos, I didnt know anything about the BMW at all.
What size resistor did you use?

antonch:

--- Quote from: rob@vems.co.uk on January 08, 2008, 08:59:47 am ---
--- Quote from: antonch on January 08, 2008, 04:30:46 am ---Rob, your values worked out of the box, didn't have to modify/tune anything. Very odd how you knew them :)

--- End quote ---

They're the ones I use on the Nissan tachos, I didnt know anything about the BMW at all.
What size resistor did you use?

--- End quote ---
It's a cheapo RadioShack pot, supposed to be at 10K, but when I checked it was set to 9.2kOhm. Its funny, I turned on the car it took me a while to realize that the tacho worked right off the bat.

gunni:
I have always used a 1-2k ohm resistor and never had problems,

I think I´ll be installing the resistor on the inside between 12v and the appropriate channel pin.

jrussell:
If you use P259 Ch. 4 which seems to be pretty standard these days there are pads on the PCB for a pullup resistor.

Just please be careful. ;-) Its rather easy to damage things in there if you're not very skilled. The space is tight in that area.

In fact I really discourage the average owner to open their case, especially if it was a fully assembled unit you bought. Most areas of the World have support people that will gladly make modifications for you.

GintsK:

--- Quote from: rob@vems.co.uk on January 08, 2008, 08:57:14 am ---
--- Quote from: GintsK on January 05, 2008, 03:39:12 pm ---Did simple input  signal for IGBT, MOSFET or output signal from stepper chip work without pullup?

--- End quote ---

No because the IGBT, MOSFETs etc channels only switch to ground, so you need a power feed, and you need the resistor in there or when the thing switches to ground the current will be massive.

--- End quote ---
I mean FET or IGBT input. There must be 12V square impulse already and no need for pullup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version