Author Topic: Struggling to get vems to talk.  (Read 14052 times)

Offline scottieb

• BHP: 2
Struggling to get vems to talk.
« on: December 20, 2007, 11:50:23 am »
Hi All,

Tried to get my vems board to talk to megatune last night, no luck.

This is what I did.

Downloaded the latest vems software package form the forum.

Unzipped it and executed Megatune.

Connected the vems board to a 12V supply. Checked I have 5V coming out of the main regulator. Connected the RS232 to the vems board. Checked I have data going into pin 13 of U19(MAX232) (using hyperterminal)

When I power the board up I get something out of TX0, but not a lot.

In megatune I set the coms to the correct port and baud rate of 9600. when I press test it says no response.

What am I missing?

The board is alive because if I use hyperterminal and set the baud rate to 9600, when I press ‘o’ I get a load of garbage back, but its consistent garbage.

Help please!

Regards,

Scott

Offline scottieb

Re: Struggling to get vems to talk.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 06:35:51 pm »
Anyone? :o)

Offline antonch

• BHP: 4
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 08:00:05 pm »
Anyone? :o)

Have you tried connecting to it via terminal--there is a program in the package for that. I think if you type Man you should get somethign descent back. Are you using USB to serial connector?

Offline scottieb

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 08:13:45 pm »
Normal RS232 port on del laptop. got it to talk through hyperterminal, its telling me it has firmware version 1.0.38 and I have megatune bundled with 1.0.73, so maybe thats the problem?

I've tried to upload the latest firmware but the upgrade-firmware.bat application just says "cannot open com 4" I'm trying to figure out how to change the port now, does anyone know?

Scott

Offline scottieb

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 08:50:08 pm »
sorted now, all is well, now to try and get the wideband working, watch this space!

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 09:00:26 pm »
I guess you've found out that the batch file needs to be edited... :)

Offline scottieb

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 09:56:04 am »
Yes, Should have thought about it a bit more before posting really  ::)

Got the wideband calibrated and working a treat in the terminal, but how do i get it to display in megatune? I have a lambda gueage on the screen but it is reading min, and the heater is not on either?

Regards,

Scott

Offline Volvo850r

• BHP: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 12:20:29 pm »
so in the end, was the problem with not using the correct firmware matched to the version of megatune you had? and then it was just a case of changing the com port value in "upload-firmware... bat" so you could put on the latest firmware.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 12:30:34 pm »
Got the wideband calibrated and working a treat in the terminal, but how do i get it to display in megatune? I have a lambda gueage on the screen but it is reading min, and the heater is not on either?

The wideband sensor's heater is not powered until the engine is running, when you do the mde02 command in terminal you are forcing the heater on.

So if you want to force it to see things in MegaTune:

Make sure that MegaTune is closed and open Terminal, connect then type: Manmde02
then type: byebye

Close your terminal program and open MegaTune, after the heater has warmed up you'll see the lambda scale reading very lean.

Rob

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 12:31:51 pm »
so in the end, was the problem with not using the correct firmware matched to the version of megatune you had? and then it was just a case of changing the com port value in "upload-firmware... bat" so you could put on the latest firmware.

You should only use the MegaTune that comes with the firmware release.

Offline scottieb

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 01:17:55 pm »

Correct.

So i take it megatune gets changed to accomodate new features everytime you do a firmware upgrade?

Offline scottieb

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 01:19:21 pm »

The wideband sensor's heater is not powered until the engine is running, when you do the mde02 command in terminal you are forcing the heater on.

So if you want to force it to see things in MegaTune:

Make sure that MegaTune is closed and open Terminal, connect then type: Manmde02
then type: byebye

Close your terminal program and open MegaTune, after the heater has warmed up you'll see the lambda scale reading very lean.

Rob

ok nice one rob, i'll give that a try.

Is there a  way of getting an analogue output from the WBO2 for a guage?

Scott

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 02:23:02 pm »
No, there is work underway to output data via RS232 so that the Wideband Gauge can display data from the VEMS.

Essentially what happens this time of year is that all the northern europeans stop playing with their Volvos and Audis and start developing the software again.

Offline scottieb

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 03:07:11 pm »
lol, its to cold even for them!

we it least it can be acessed by RS232, i suppose i could just read it out with a micro then display it.

... too many projects on the go at once!

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• VEMS Forum
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 08:42:14 am »
Correct.

So i take it megatune gets changed to accomodate new features everytime you do a firmware upgrade?

Yes, there is a file vemsv3.ini that defines the memory structure for all the features in the firmware, obviously as things are put in, and other settings taken out the structure changes.