Author Topic: s50b32 dual vanos setup  (Read 11155 times)

Offline lap79

• BHP: 0
s50b32 dual vanos setup
« on: May 15, 2017, 03:29:59 am »
Hi guys we are having trouble getting vems to run this engine properly, please read carefully before posting a reply and only reply if you have experience, no guess work. don't mean to offend anyone.
Vems support has given me the configuration file to start the engine, now the first problem is the car will start once every 5-10 attempts and when it starts it runs perfect, it idles and revs just fine, I checked all the tables and even went on and tuned the engine but this problem is still there, sometimes while cranking it pops from the exhaust as if the ignition timing was really retarded, I did check the ignition timing with a light when I got the engine running and its fine. The second problem is I have no control  over vanos, when I change the figures in target table I can hear the engine note change slightly but when I was running it on the dyno it makes no difference at all on the graph, now when we install the factory computer back on, the power difference is huge, power and torque are nearly double then with the Vems ecu.
with the Vems ecu back on I set my gauges to look at sectrig angle and third trigger angle, with engine idling third trig angle reads around 91 degrees and steady, sectrig jumps all over the place going from as low as 30 degrees to 330+ degrees multiple times per second.
now when I look at inlet or exhaust vanos duty cycle output it sits around 93 percent at 0 on the target table and 99 percent at 80+ on the target table, now this doesn't seem right but I'm out of ideas.
the attachment below is the settings table I received from Vems, I hope someone here can help out as Vems support crew is out of ideas as the dual vanos doesn't come out in the US.
thank you

Offline wersch

• BHP: 1
  • ECU installer in Sweden
Re: s50b32 dual vanos setup
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 07:58:55 pm »
I recently installed aftermarket ECU on a S50B32 but this was Maxxecu not Vems.

One thing to look out for is that exhaust cam sensor and intake sensor have inverted signals.

A triggerlog and log file would be in it place, both with running engine and when the engine just backfires.

Offline lap79

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 10:45:36 pm »
thank you I'll look at it, what do you mean by inverted signal? if crank sensor is rising edge cam is falling?

Offline lap79

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 07:24:08 am »
anyone else have any recommendations, keep in mind the factory computer runs the engine fine, so has to be a configuration issue??

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 07:35:28 am »
Your settings look right, just do a trigger log and show us, the exhaust trigger ignore and max primary might need tweeking.

Best thing to do is disable all vanos activity until you get the cam sync working every time.
Also most S50B32s I have dealt with need more crank enrichment than I´d normally expect.

Offline lap79

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 09:26:24 am »
while cranking not starting

while running

Offline wersch

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 03:20:11 pm »
thank you I'll look at it, what do you mean by inverted signal? if crank sensor is rising edge cam is falling?
What i mean is that the sensors is connected like this:

Crank Sensor:

Pin 1 Signal
Pin 2 Gnd
Pin 3 Shield

Exhaust Cam Sensor:

Pin 1 Signal
Pin 2 Gnd
Pin 3 Shield

Inlet Cam Sensor:

Pin 1 Gnd
Pin 2 Signal
Pin 3 Shield

As you see the inlet and exhaust sensor is inverted against eachother.

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 11:02:22 pm »
first as I see you are having trigger error in red color saying that it dont see secondary trigger, that means it does not see one of the cam sensors :) second, is it vems P&P version or it's wire in version, with what options it was ordered?
Vems installer in Lithuania
valdas.sunokas@gmail.com

Offline lap79

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 11:11:27 pm »
its plug n play

Offline lap79

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 11:15:01 pm »
with the pinout being inverted on the inlet cam, you would think it would be setup on the config file being a plug n play

Offline lap79

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 02:59:07 am »
HI guys I'm still battling with this ecu, so a couple of more things that I found, when cranking but not starting there's no spark, I thought there was because of the poping from the exhaust but that was a random ignition that would happen, every other time there was no ignition.
now when I turn on advance filtering under primary trigger car doesn't start at all with the settings that are on there but after playing with the settings I can get the car to start more times than not but still randomly will not start, I think this is where my problem is and i've been looking for this setting all along but in aftermarket ecu this setting is normally displayed as a voltage threshold not as a % of high vs low.
has anyone had to play with these settings to get the car to start.
any recommendations?
as far as my secondary trigger missing on the above graph can someone elaborate on that, the time line is in tenths of a second if you look at the bottom of the graph, thats why they are so spaced out, thats what I understand but I could be wrong.

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 04:49:57 am »
you are logging trigger on wrong speed, and you dont have secondary trigger at all in your log
Vems installer in Lithuania
valdas.sunokas@gmail.com

Offline MWfire

• BHP: 35
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 12:45:38 pm »
I did few s50 and s54 engine, i can share you config if you want.
The strongest is s54 turbo 1030hp.

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 07:30:31 am »
What i mean is that the sensors is connected like this:

Crank Sensor:

Pin 1 Signal
Pin 2 Gnd
Pin 3 Shield

Exhaust Cam Sensor:

Pin 1 Signal
Pin 2 Gnd
Pin 3 Shield

Inlet Cam Sensor:

Pin 1 Gnd
Pin 2 Signal
Pin 3 Shield

As you see the inlet and exhaust sensor is inverted against eachother.

Going by the ETM Wiring diagram the sensors should not be wired invertidly.

on the sensor
Pin 1 : Positive Signal
Pin 2 : Negative Signal
Pin 3 : Shield

THe ETM is here , https://1drv.ms/b/s!Agm0wZb6As7NoEZWNdFm4blZEhyh

Can you do the following.

Remove your coils and plugs, do a cranking log and triggerlog with your current settings , upload it to the Vemstune sharing center
Vemstune - Help - Vems Sharing center

We´ll be better able to help with your secondary trigger settings so that it starts and fires every time.

Offline wersch

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 10:04:44 am »
That´s a little bit strange, cause DTA's manual suggest this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByatXFjUogqGVmgwU3o1U08zLWc/view?usp=sharing

Maybe here is just a writing error!