Author Topic: VEMS or MegaSquirt  (Read 6727 times)

Offline rbm109

• BHP: 1
    • English Electric LandRover
VEMS or MegaSquirt
« on: November 06, 2007, 02:53:47 pm »
Hello VEMS people,

My name's Robert and I've an '82 2.25l Land Rover which I am slowly trying to bring into the modern world (or the 20th century anyway :)).  So far, I've installed Megajolt and was going to go on to install MegaSquirt until somebody contacted me and told me about VEMS.

So, my question is, given that there isn't a million miles of difference cost wise, what has VEMS got over MegaSquirt that would suit me?  Just for reference, I've got a 36:1 trigger wheel fitted with a Ford VR sensor and am looking to install the single injector throttle body from an '84 (I think) VW Golf.  This TB has a stepper motor for the idle as well as throttle and intake temp sensors.

Sorry if this question's a bit open ended.

Cheers!

Robert.

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
Re: VEMS or MegaSquirt
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 03:32:13 pm »
Hi Robert,

The single most obvious difference between MS and VEMS is the fact that we have wideband controller hardware, whys that better than an external one is the next question - well we monitor the signal from the sensor, and if we loose confidence in its reading (if a misfire has caused unburnt fuel to contaminate the nernst sensor) we stop using the Lambda correction until it returns to an acceptable reading.

Add to that the fact we're using modern surface mounted components, automotive grade connectors in a water resistant box, have had direct ignition control since v3 and our stuff works without needing to do any DIY modifications.

Also when you buy from VEMS you're buying from a single European company that produces and sells the system it has designed, its not buying a kit from the US that has been imported and assembled by by a UK company.

The ultimate advantage is you get to come on here as get your questions answered, oh and we're better looking ;)

Offline rbm109

• BHP: 1
    • English Electric LandRover
Re: VEMS or MegaSquirt
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 03:59:29 pm »
.....oh and we're better looking ;)

Is that the Royal "We" Rob or are you talking about your product?  ;D

I must say that, as I haven't fully investigated all of the parameters involved as yet, the idea of the pre-programmed, off the shelf option does appeal.  Although I don't actually off-road the old kite much, the water-tightness would also be an advantage...especially since even the best Series LandRover leaks like a sieve at the best of times  :o

Thanks for the reply.  Food for thought.  Just at the moment, Otly (that's the Landy) is undergoing major body surgery so the engine work's stopped but I hope to get back to it soon.

Cheers!

Robert.