Author Topic: Recommended configuration of outputs  (Read 8309 times)

Offline Manick

• BHP: 2
    • Trionic tuning forum, hosted by yours truly!
Recommended configuration of outputs
« on: December 23, 2015, 12:11:13 am »
Hi fellows,

Im trying to get a hang of all the steppers, analog channels and P259 channels and want to understand what goes where and why.
Using VEMS 3.6 with extra bridge output driver.

Pinout schematics in excel format of the documents i recieved with my VEMS ECU: http://www.trionictuning.com/VEMS/VEMS Pinout.xlsx

What i need to figure out is the following:
  • What outputs are recommended to controll variable inlet cams? The solenoids work with 5 volt, on/off function.
  • What output is recommended for fuel pump controll (rpm controller built in to the pump im using)
  • What output is recommended for boost solenoid (have one built in on both turbos)

My thoughts about this are the following:

For the variable inlet cam controll, i should use one of the four high-side outputs in the BridgeOutputDriver for each bank.
Question: How do i configure the outputs in the BOD in my firmware?

For the Fuel pump controller, im thinking that one of the steppers should be used?

The boost solenoids is the bigger questionmark for me, as the pins i can find in the wiki is allready being used for injectors in my schematics i got with my VEMS.

Im verry thankful for all input i can get, i dont want to start of by frying any outputs by missunderstanding something.. :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 01:45:44 am by Manick »
To boost, or not to boost!
Yea i know i have a lot of questions, sorry.. :)

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
  • BHP: 22
Re: Recommended configuration of outputs
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 09:19:30 am »
Hello Manick,

What engine are you trying to apply the v3 to ? I have up till now not heard of any cam solenoids requiring 5v for control.
What kind of signal does your rpm controlled fuel pump need ? Normally i would recommend just simple on off pump control, but you can make any combination of PWM output (GND) together with switched VBAT (fused switched by relay) to fuel-pump to make variable rpm control.

If you have (a link to) original wiring diagram/schematic for your engine to would help greatly to determine the required current ratings and control voltages for your actuators.

Best regards, Dave

Offline Manick

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 09:42:06 am »
Hello Manick,

What engine are you trying to apply the v3 to ? I have up till now not heard of any cam solenoids requiring 5v for control.
What kind of signal does your rpm controlled fuel pump need ? Normally i would recommend just simple on off pump control, but you can make any combination of PWM output (GND) together with switched VBAT (fused switched by relay) to fuel-pump to make variable rpm control.

If you have (a link to) original wiring diagram/schematic for your engine to would help greatly to determine the required current ratings and control voltages for your actuators.

Best regards, Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply!

Im afraid i do not have a link to the original wiring diagram, everything i have is taken from VAG's "ELSA". I do have the complete pinout for this thou, if that helps?
Now when you ask, i cannot find where i have gotten the 5-volt part from, checking the schematics, i cannot find the power source pin for the valves.
The engine is a Audi 4.2 V8 (BCY) so it should be a stock valve controll solenoid from VAG. Attachingimage from ELSA.

For the fuel pump, its a Fuellab Prodigy pump (FLB-42401-1) with pwm speed controller, pdf at this link: www.trionictuning.com/VEMS/083-42402-1.pdf

Thanks!

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:45:44 am by Manick »

Offline Manick

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 09:44:42 am »

Offline Manick

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 02:06:38 am »
I stand corrected regarding the voltage for the valve solenoid, its 12V :)

Offline Manick

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 08:44:39 am »
Im really strugeling here to figure this out, all help i can get is appreciated!

The images on the VEMS wiki seems to be 95% dead so that doesnt give me to much help at all...

The documentation i can find tells me to use either pin 6,9,17 or 18 for the boost solenoid, however theese are marked as injector outputs and are all used. What type of output am i supposed to use?!

When configuring BOD in my firmware, am i supposed to use "Extra outputs"? what is what?

Please advice!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:58:31 am by Manick »

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 11:26:46 am »
Im really strugeling here to figure this out, all help i can get is appreciated!

The images on the VEMS wiki seems to be 95% dead so that doesnt give me to much help at all...

The documentation i can find tells me to use either pin 6,9,17 or 18 for the boost solenoid, however theese are marked as injector outputs and are all used. What type of output am i supposed to use?!

When configuring BOD in my firmware, am i supposed to use "Extra outputs"? what is what?

Please advice!
use stepper outputs for that they will provide 12v  and can hold 3A load
Vems installer in Lithuania
valdas.sunokas@gmail.com

Offline Manick

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 11:30:01 am »
Problem is that the pins in my V3 is more or less all used, thats why i orderd the bridge output box as extra, i just cant find any documentation of how to use this.

Is 3A enough for the valve solenoids?

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 03:05:57 pm »
Problem is that the pins in my V3 is more or less all used, thats why i orderd the bridge output box as extra, i just cant find any documentation of how to use this.

Is 3A enough for the valve solenoids?
wire it to p259 outputs
Vems installer in Lithuania
valdas.sunokas@gmail.com

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 10:56:41 pm »
Contact vems directly with the serial number of you unit and ask for the pin configuration sheet. They are sent out with one.

Offline Manick

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 11:01:50 pm »
Contact vems directly with the serial number of you unit and ask for the pin configuration sheet. They are sent out with one.

I have that sheet allready but everything i needed wasnt really documented. I have spoken to Mattias Sandgren and MWFire from this forum who has helped me out alot. It turns out that my VEMS is not configured for what i needed even when i specifyed the usage when ordering. Mattias will help me modify my ECU for my needs.

I think i have figured out what i need thanks to theese guys, i will follow up on this forum with pin-usage for future use :)

Offline Manick

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 12:52:49 am »
Late night trying to figure this all out but i think i am on the right track. All input is welcome!

Many thanks to MWfire for helping me with a config that pointed me to the right direction.
I currently have 8 ignition output drivers, Mattias will help me remove 4 of them so i can use them as stepper outputs for the ignition coils.