Author Topic: LPG conversion for a generator (Not about VEMS, but very slightly related)  (Read 3987 times)

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
I have a 2.4kVA generator that I use for lighting my garage.  It works quite well as-is, but I'm awfully tired of pouring petrol in it which I have payed road duty on!   There's no chance of mains electricity for the next 9 months or so :(

I thought about an LPG conversion, but there's no kit for this generator (a cheap Chinese thing, that looks to be based on a Honda engine)

So I need to make something myself.  Preferably something that won't explode!

I have a propane cylinder + standard 37mbar regulator, so "all" I need is some hose, a demand regulator, a simple vaporiser and a little bit of fabrication know-how.

The only problem is that I'm stuck for where to get the demand regulator!  Ideally I want something mechanical that simply alters delivered gas pressure dependant on the generator inlet manifold pressure.  (I don't want electronics involved if at all possible.)   I found a US website that reccomended a "Garretson" regulator, but no-one's heard of them over here.

Can anyone help?

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
Re: LPG conversion for a generator (Not about VEMS, but very slightly related)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 02:27:49 pm »
Thinking about it a bit more logically, a +12v solenoid operated valve would be OK, as long as I didn't need to mess about with it too much.

Offline jrussell

• VEMS USA
  • Administrator
  • BHP: 15
    • VEMS USA
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 02:59:16 am »
I have no idea where to get such a thing in the UK, but I have something that would work well for you.

The regulator is adjustable. Then it's a solenoid, then after that there's a simple needle valve from a hardware store. That's what you use to adjust the flow.

It's crude, but would work great for a generator.
VEMS USA - Located in beautiful Burlington, Vermont
1988 RX7 Turbo

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 01:23:59 pm »
That's just the thing.  Crude is all that's required here.

Offline 500

• BHP: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 08:47:18 am »
The vapouriser has its own regulator built in with a diaphram that controls the flow. you will need a form of gate valve to sort the mixture in a way. I'm sure a local autogas installer will sell you one at a good price. the only thing with a vapouriser is, where will you get the heat source from to let it do the vapourising?