Author Topic: Flyback Configuration  (Read 10029 times)

Offline antonch

• BHP: 4
Flyback Configuration
« on: July 23, 2007, 10:59:52 pm »
So I just ordered my 3.3 board with power flyaback option. A lot of the information is not entirely clear to me.

For now I will be using the board with high-z injectors but eventually I may get some low-z injectors.

According to the wiki http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=GenBoard%2FManual%2FPowerFlyback the D100 diode needs to be disconnected. Before I butcher the board up for no reason, I need to disconnect D100 diode in my case, correct?

The flyback line should be already grounded to pin 23 (hence the word flyback in power flyback). So no need to solder any more wires.

Offline dnb

• Global Moderator
  • BHP: 19
Re: Flyback Configuration
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 12:09:59 am »
If you are using high-z injectors then don't bother removing D100 for now because it makes no sense to PWM them!

And if you go for lowZ injectors in the future then you could sidestep the whole PWM-ing issue by using resistor packs in series with the lowZ injectors and treat them exactly the same as high-z injectors.

The chances are that yours won't have D100 on it anyway, as the link refers to something from early last year.  I expect this batch of boards will have been used up by now!

In short, if you've got an assembled controller on the way, then you shouldn't have to worry about doing anything other than taking a look inside because of curiosity ;)

Also, don't forget to put a transient suppressor diode in the flyback wire.  This further enhances the control of high-z injectors.

Offline antonch

• BHP: 4
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 02:44:40 am »
If you are using high-z injectors then don't bother removing D100 for now because it makes no sense to PWM them!

And if you go for lowZ injectors in the future then you could sidestep the whole PWM-ing issue by using resistor packs in series with the lowZ injectors and treat them exactly the same as high-z injectors.

The chances are that yours won't have D100 on it anyway, as the link refers to something from early last year.  I expect this batch of boards will have been used up by now!

In short, if you've got an assembled controller on the way, then you shouldn't have to worry about doing anything other than taking a look inside because of curiosity ;)

Also, don't forget to put a transient suppressor diode in the flyback wire.  This further enhances the control of high-z injectors.

Doh! Just saw this:
Note: assembled controllers sent out after 2006-jan-11 have these removed.

I was under the impression that all new assembled controllers come with the flyback line already soldered. So I will need to splice the wire and solder a Transient Suppressor diode, correct?

So power flyback would work in conjuncture with Transient Suppressor diode to enhance control of injectors?

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 09:26:22 am »
Yes, you get good injector control with the Transient suppression diode.  All the ones I spec for people only use the transient suppression diode I dont bother with the high voltage flyback board anymore.

Offline BenFenner

• BHP: 8
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 02:26:11 am »
Hey rob, if I've got one of the very recent 30v flyback boards, do I still want to install a transient suppression diode as described in the instructions? Or is it already inside the case?

Thanks.
1994 Black SE-R (VEMS, going turbo)
1994 Black SE-R (with sunroof)

Offline rob@vems.co.uk

• BHP: 49
    • VEMS Forum
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 09:49:21 am »
Its inside the case, no need for a second one.