Author Topic: ABZ V8 3.2 ECU to 3.6 with cam sync. won't fire. halpsss.  (Read 16717 times)

Offline smurfinator

• BHP: -20
ABZ V8 3.2 ECU to 3.6 with cam sync. won't fire. halpsss.
« on: July 21, 2015, 10:58:35 pm »
I had the car running on an old 3.2 ECU with dual mode C.O.P wasted spark for years.  Just installing the new 3.6 box with cam sync and same trigger settings as before (for TDC, next tooth etc).  Can't get it to run and don't know where to look. 

firmware 1.2.20

Ignition sequence verified in test mode with 12v LED.

Should I be changing the trigger ref. tooth table?

Currently like this:
0 -0
7 -15
6 - 30
5 - 45
4 - 60
3 - 75
2 - 90
1 - 105

Thanks!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:14:01 pm by smurfinator »
Audi ABZ 4.2 V8 in 1993 90 quattro
TTV 60-2 flywheel and cam sync
firmware: 1.2.20

Smurf blue (BMW Laguna Seca), hence the name!

Offline smurfinator

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:18:18 pm by smurfinator »

Offline smurfinator

Re: ABZ V8 3.2 ECU to 3.6 with cam sync. won't fire. halpsss.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 10:19:25 pm »
Should I be putting a solder blob on the board for cam sync or something?

Also, it seems like my stepper outputs are changed from v3.2 because idle and tach don't work anymore.

Offline smurfinator

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 11:34:00 pm »
There seems to be a major problem in that when I upload the running, driving dualmode config from my 3.2 ECU running  1.2.2 and vemstune, the engine only pops through the intake (with starting fluid as a test) and never runs.

There must be internal wiring changes in the output of the 3.6 ECU, but I do not have access to the old output map of my 3.2 ECU.  All copies are gone from the internet.

what is going on and who do I talk to about this issue?

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
  • BHP: 22
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 09:21:55 am »
Hello Ben,

Lets start with the basics, can you provide a triggerlog of engine cranking 8-10 seconds without IGN or INJ fuse so i can verify all triggers are correctly getting to your device ? We'll work from there

Best regards, Dave

Offline smurfinator

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 05:38:57 pm »
Hello Ben,

Lets start with the basics, can you provide a triggerlog of engine cranking 8-10 seconds without IGN or INJ fuse so i can verify all triggers are correctly getting to your device ? We'll work from there

Best regards, Dave

Yes I have logs but no place to upload it at the moment. 

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 05:53:09 pm »
We provide you space, make a sharing report from VT (Help->Vems sharing center) and place link here.

best regards, Dave

Offline smurfinator

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 07:13:37 pm »
Well, I don't know if I did it right, but I managed to upload something here as an attachment:

http://vems.hu/vemstune/sharingcenter/reports.php?cmd=view&key=ID2tEj

Thanks!

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 08:15:11 pm »
Hello Ben,

Could you also attach your current ecu config (or even better a short vemslog of engine cranking) to the sharing report ? The triggerlog looks like it is from your current ecu, the vemslog and vemscfg in the report seem to be for an other ecu (perhaps your old).

But so far good needs from the initial review of your triggerlog, both primary and secondary trigger are in working order and ecu syncs properly to wheel, ignition timing however seems to be way off .. current config review will tell me more.

Best regards, Dave
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:17:16 pm by VEMS »

Offline smurfinator

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 08:37:23 pm »
Hello Ben,

Could you also attach your current ecu config (or even better a short vemslog of engine cranking) to the sharing report ? The triggerlog looks like it is from your current ecu, the vemslog and vemscfg in the report seem to be for an other ecu (perhaps your old).

But so far good needs from the initial review of your triggerlog, both primary and secondary trigger are in working order and ecu syncs properly to wheel, ignition timing however seems to be way off .. current config review will tell me more.

Best regards, Dave

Ok thanks I suspected ignition timing had chaged (perhaps 180 degrees ?!?!?!) due to changing from dual mode to full sequential.  I'm a little fuzzy in the details, but it was the only thing nagging at me after triple checking everything else.

Offline smurfinator

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 08:54:51 pm »
Ok I uploaded vlog and the config I'm running.   Thanks for all of your help!!!

Hello Ben,

Best regards, Dave

Offline Leonhard

• BHP: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 06:32:04 am »
check your IAC settings, IAC PWM frequency is missing, ABZ IACV runs fine with 60Hz.
cranking VE is quite low comparing to your VE-table,

Good luck!

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 09:18:24 am »
Hello Ben,

Reviewed (and compared) your current config (BEN-N-21july-1.vemscfg) to the one you posted in your report earlier (v3.3_u004869.vemscfg) and almost everything is different.
I would suggest you start out by:

1) uploading the same firmware as was on your previous ecu (1.2.23 was on there you have 1.2.20 now) so upgrade to 1.2.23.
2) uploading your previous (working v3.3_u004869.vemscfg) config to the ecu.
3) setup (or at least check) the base calibrations of the sensors (e.g. map/mat and coolant temp seem to be off now might be okay after uploading previous config).
4) do some other verifications before actually trying to start the engine, like calibrate (or check free-air calibration of) wideband sensor, tps calibration, if the pin output of the new ecu matches the old ecu (this step should actually have been done before anything else).

Please report on your findings and after completing these steps upload another vemslog and triggerlog of engine cranking 8-10 seconds without IGN or INJ fuse to your report so i can review.

Best regards, Dave

Offline smurfinator

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 02:46:29 pm »
Hi, Dave I should have mentioned that the report page is not mine and that config in the report is not mine.  None of the docs are mine except the uploaded attachments.

I could not figure out how to login or register there, but that page came up in a google search and let me upload attachments.

The config with my name in it has working TPS, pump and fan.  The other stuff is suspect like idle solenoid because i don't seem to have any 7 amp outputs anymore.  I don't know what happened with that.  I just fixed the temperature scales, too.

Anyway, I'm at a loss as far as where the timing should be with the new configuration.

Thanks!

Hello Ben,

Reviewed (and compared) your current config (BEN-N-21july-1.vemscfg) to the one you posted in your report earlier (v3.3_u004869.vemscfg) and almost everything is different.
I would suggest you start out by:

1) uploading the same firmware as was on your previous ecu (1.2.23 was on there you have 1.2.20 now) so upgrade to 1.2.23.
2) uploading your previous (working v3.3_u004869.vemscfg) config to the ecu.
3) setup (or at least check) the base calibrations of the sensors (e.g. map/mat and coolant temp seem to be off now might be okay after uploading previous config).
4) do some other verifications before actually trying to start the engine, like calibrate (or check free-air calibration of) wideband sensor, tps calibration, if the pin output of the new ecu matches the old ecu (this step should actually have been done before anything else).

Please report on your findings and after completing these steps upload another vemslog and triggerlog of engine cranking 8-10 seconds without IGN or INJ fuse to your report so i can review.

Best regards, Dave

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 03:01:30 pm »
Hello Ben,

Aha, very confusing indeed. Do you still have savefiles from your old ecu on your tuning laptop ? There should be plenty there as VT makes automatic save files for recovery later.
They are in "My Documents/VEMS_Files/ecuname_serialnumber/* or the backup subdir.

Please add these to a new sharing report, no login or password needed just use VT->Help->Sharing center and follow the steps. It will upload the files for you, create the report and provide you with the link to it.
After you have created this report with the requested files i will review; this to rule out any confusion in the future.

Best regards, Dave