Author Topic: help: wrong trigger setup at mainboard  (Read 8070 times)

Offline mc2226

• BHP: 1
help: wrong trigger setup at mainboard
« on: May 09, 2015, 05:29:53 pm »
Hello,

i just registered here in this forum, my name is ben and i live in austria and i want to start a new project with VEMS.
I bought a VEMS genboard v3 about 1.5 years ago, because i actually wanted to start that project way earlier.. anyway, in the next few weeks i want to start the project and i already have a problem.

The car will be a '90 audi 100 10v turbo quattro originally the mc engine.. block will be from the 2,3E, aswell the crankshaft, with h-shaft conrods and 2.0TFSI pistons, head will be redone with 7mm valveshafts and headporting etc.. sensors will be the same as in the MC engine, which will be two VR inputs and a HALL input..

well..

I ordered the VEMS with two HALL inputs, because i.. i don't know why, maybe i was drunk.. now i contacted vems.hu but i didnt get any infos..

I am well at soldering circuit boards, so it won't be a problem for me to change anything on the board, but for that i would need to know the things i have to change..

otherwise, i'd love to send it back and get it done.. then i'm sure it will work and it is tested aswell..  i contacted vems.hu but unfortunately i never got a response.. maybe a EU dealer is here?

thank you for your help!

regards
Ben
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 05:33:21 pm by mc2226 »

Offline Kamuto

• BHP: 19
Vems installer in Lithuania
valdas.sunokas@gmail.com

Offline mc2226

Re: help: wrong trigger setup at mainboard
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 11:50:01 am »
hello,

first: thank you very much for that!

it says "A SOT23 NPN (like BC817 but almost any NPN transistor would work) in place of the red mark on the pic above, and a 2k7 pullup resistor (a bit to the right)" in the picture above is only a red marked bridge.. where exactly should i solder this transistor and the pullup resistor?

and second question: "The second LM1815 and the related blob at the PCB bottom under the FETs is needed. (same as with v3.3 sectrig VR setup)"
i can see the blob at the picture below.. unfortunately i don't have the ecu here now, so i can't look inside it.. but where should i solder on the LM1815? is there maybe a picture somewhere? probably when i have the opened ecu in front of me, i will see, where it belongs..

thanks a lot!

edit: i think i know how to do it, even if i don't have the ecu in front of me.. if not, i'll ask again.. thanks!

bene
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:46:42 pm by mc2226 »

Offline mc2226

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 10:56:55 pm »
hello,

i soldered the auditrigger setup at the ecu.. but i think i might have misunderstood the instructions.. i have no secondary trigger signal at the triggerlog.
does anyone have a picture of the camHALL inverter at the mainboard? and maybe can tell me which values the important resistors have?

many thanks!

regards
bene

Offline mc2226

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 10:01:46 pm »
hey guys,

if noone has pictures for me, i will post some :)

here you can see my cam HALL inverter:

is this correct? can someone please confirm this? i have made everything that is discribed in the vems wiki.

here is the second LM1815:

one wire from EC18 pin 12 to the pad of the LM1815 and the middle pin soldered to +5V

the primary trigger works perfect but i get neither a HALL signal nor a crankhome signal, i have tried nearly everything, i can't see the problem..

can someone please help me or is willing to do it for me?

thanks!
bene

edit: links corrected
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:30:44 pm by mc2226 »

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
  • BHP: 22
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 08:49:25 am »
Hello Bene,

Your pictures are not loading for me, could you correct the links so i can take a look at your modifications ?

Best regards, Dave

Offline mc2226

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 12:32:50 pm »
oh i'm sorry!

i corrected the links..

thanks!

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 01:15:09 pm »
Hello Bene,

Have you verified:

* Ec36-pin13 (camhall signal) is pulled up to 5v ?
* with ec36-pin13 grounded does your VR single tooth VR (connected to ec18-pin12) show up in triggerlog ?
** if yes, then problem solved
** if no, please check if you closed SJ7 jumper on the bottom of the PCB (was unable to see that properly in your pictures)

Please report on your findings, we'll work from there.

Best regards, Dave

Offline mc2226

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 06:51:43 pm »
hello dave,

my camhall signal is pulled up with 7k to 5v.

the SJ7 jumper is closed at the bottom..

i tried to ground the ec36-pin13 (ground from HALL connector to hall input) and second VR sensor did not show up in triggerlog.. if that's what you mean..

many thanks
bene

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:49:32 pm by mc2226 »

Offline mc2226

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 08:29:52 pm »
so the last day i measured my hall signals..

when i get 5v at my hall signal, i have about 95mV at the transistor base and 95mV at transistor collector.

when i get 0v at my hall signal, i have 0v at transistor base and still 95mV at transistor collector, so something can't be right..

i soldered a new transistor today, so i will test it tomorrow..

regards

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 04:09:21 pm »
Hello Bene,

In the second case (hall signal pulling down to 0v) your transistor collector should be 5v, likeliest cause will be missing r248 2k7 pull-up resistor going from transistor collector to vcc.

Best regards, Dave

Offline mc2226

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 08:05:23 pm »
alright, it works! i got my r248 pullup wrong.. somehow a 10k resistor found its place into it.. so i put in a 2k7 and it works perfectly fine..

thanks for your help!

bene
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:32:35 pm by mc2226 »

Offline VEMS

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 08:33:22 am »
Hello Bene,

The 10k for r248 resistor should have also worked without problems, but perhaps there was a slight soldering error / bad contact (easy to miss on the small smd components) anyway glad to hear you sorted it!

Best regards, Dave