Author Topic: Swapping to VAG TFSi COP coils  (Read 5147 times)

Offline Sprocket

• BHP: 29
Swapping to VAG TFSi COP coils
« on: October 01, 2014, 08:18:56 pm »
Need some advice on retrofitting to VAG TFSi coils.

I currently use Denso inductive coils from a Honda CBR1000 but not sure how well these will work under boost without over driving them. I originally had severe misfire when running 50hp shot of nitrous (on a 110hp motor) that I never really got to the bottom of before the engine expired. The coils came into question not generating a fat enough spark, and it's still a concern, so, perhaps time for an upgrade.

The real question here ..... How can I drive them? I already use the stepper driver for the IAC valve and I have a full compliment of 8 IGBT's. I don't really want to have to remove any if I really really don't have to. Could I invert the output and use a pull up to 12v, if I only power the coils (as I already do) and the 12v pull up from the main relay which is already only activated on RPM above 100rpm? I appreciate the IGTB is 'normally open' whe the V3 is powered down and the 12v pull up would want to drive the coil which is a BAD thing.

All opinions valued :)

Sprox

Offline Sprocket

Re: Swapping to VAG TFSi COP coils
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 10:15:21 pm »
OK then........ :(

Looks like i'm modifying a new box for logic level. Any easy advice on that while i trawl throught the Wiki?

Offline gunni

• BHP: 37
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 11:20:58 am »
Simply remove the transistor and bridge the output and signal to the transistor.

You can also use a optical driver stage, i.e when you turn the transistor on it it turns on a LED inside a chip, the chip activates a photosensor which outputs the desired 5v signal, i have done it once before and it works a treat, this way the two circuits are isolated completely.

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 07:54:58 pm »
OK Great thanks Gunni.